Strength Training VS. Circuit Training??

Options
Ok...so I'm doing strength training, to build muscle, incorporated with at least 30 mins of cardio. My question is this...when calculating calories, why is there such a huge difference between "STRENGTH TRAINING" and "CIRCUIT TRAINING". I'd like to get the 'most accurate' idea of how many calories I'm burning at the gym (without the purchase of a HRM), but i'm not sure which to call it. I do both machines and free weights, so I'm not quite sure what to consider my 'weight' training as. If anyone has some insight, it'd be MUCH appreciated!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:

Thank you!

Replies

• Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok...so I'm doing strength training, to build muscle, incorporated with at least 30 mins of cardio. My question is this...when calculating calories, why is there such a huge difference between "STRENGTH TRAINING" and "CIRCUIT TRAINING". I'd like to get the 'most accurate' idea of how many calories I'm burning at the gym (without the purchase of a HRM), but i'm not sure which to call it. I do both machines and free weights, so I'm not quite sure what to consider my 'weight' training as. If anyone has some insight, it'd be MUCH appreciated!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:

Thank you!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I think circuit training includes some type of aerobic activity between the strength parts. Like doing 10 jumping jacks then doing the weights. But I'm not sure about that.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    In circuit training you're ideally moving quickly between sets (short rest periods) and keeping your heart rate up, so you get the cardiovascular benefit as well. Strength training is just putting little tears in the muscle fiber, but if you're heart rate isn't up high enough, you don't receive the cardio benefit. How long are you resting between sets?
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    mgullette - not resting much, i try to move between the exercises very quickly. And usually after a high intensity 'warm-up' - 15-20 mins on an arc trainer elliptical. I continue to sweat a lot during my strength-training, until I get to crunches, then I start to cool off before doing another 15-20 mins of cardio.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do strenght training every second day- I do get my heart rate up. I just add it to my fitness and I don't worry about these calories because I track everything. If for some reason I under count one of the foods I ate then I won't really go over my calories for the day- safe measure for me. Good luck!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd say your closer to circuit training then. The reason they don't include the calorie counts as accurately is because strength training has afterburn too, and it's harder to estimate calories burned from that. Personally I don't get too caught up in it. I do my cardio everyday, with strength training 3x per week (moving very quickly between sets). Your heart rate increases when you are working larger muscles, and logically, this makes sense.

Even when I'm not trying to get my HR up during strength training, it definitely goes high when I do legs and back moves (I do P90X). I think I burn around 550 calories with that one alone. And then I do some cardio, as it helps prevent me from getting as sore.

Good luck to you!:drinker: :drinker: (obviously I don't actually drink:wink: )