First time 5k Runner

Hi all!

This may sound a bit silly but I'm going to ask anyways. In March I'll be running my first 5k and I was wondering what you wear when you run outdoors in the colder weather. I've run outside during summer -fall was able to get away with shorts or quarter length spandex. What will keep me cool while running and warm after the race. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    March is a pretty mixed bag when it comes to weather. It is hard to say what you should or should not wear because you don't know how the weather will be. You could get away with shorts and a long sleeve top depending on the weather. What do you consider cold? There are a lot of variables that go into what you should or should not wear. The main rule of thumb is never wear anything that you haven't run in before.

To answer your question, how cold is it going to get where you live? You can layer up and wear long cold weather tights (I prefer Nike). Also a runners cap is good to keep your head and ears warm and some gloves. This week I ran in 15 degree weather. I wore a thin base layer than another long sleeve layer on top of that with a windbreaker and long cold weather tights, plus the cap and gloves. I was fine. This weekend it is going to be about 40-45 when I run so I will just wear my capri, a long shirt and a vest because I get really warm.
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    I got myself some under armor and just started outside on the sidewalks by the end I am soo hot and sweaty I just want to rip it all off.

Usually I just wear the top, but if it is really cold, i wear the pants underneath what I am already wearing. It does the trick.
  • trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    I live in Ontario so the weather is iffy. But I thank both of you for taking the time to reply to my post , great advice :)
  • jfang86
    jfang86 Posts: 19
    Definitely long pants for sub-zero weather (I'm from Ontario, but living in CT right now). I like layering for the top half: a light tank and a quick dry long-sleeve running top or jacket. Gloves are a total must -- I ran a 5K last month in 0 degree weather without my gloves, and my hands cramped up from the cold. I haven't solved the cold ear issue yet, but I find hats kind of annoying. Generally, I've found that any exposed skin loses heat quickly when running, but because as soon as you get going, you'll feel really warm, it's best to dress to cover as much skin as possible, but with light breathable clothes. You should feel cold when you step outside, but you should warm up within 5-10 minutes of running.

Also, if it gets really cold, pack some chapstick.
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    Remember, running adds 20 degrees (um.... roughly 10 degrees C?). So, if you're running in 20 degree weather, it's going to feel like 40 degrees to your body (I think that would be -6C to 4C).

I also highly suggest ear coverings, but like Mz.Fang, I also can't stand wearing hats when I run. A friend of mine took an old t-shirt (cotton, spandex blend) and sewed it into a headband for me. It's a life saver! Not only does it keep my hair out of my face, but it's just enough to keep my ears warm without making my head hot.

You could try these, but I find that they slip out of place: http://www.rei.com/product/821411/180s-urban-soft-shell-ear-warmers

Or these, but they're a little TOO warm for me: http://www.rei.com/product/800799/the-north-face-windstopper-ear-gear-headband

Hope that helps!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    I ran my 2nd 5K on Thanksgiving and it was pretty cold out but it was surprising how fast I got hot once I got going and wished I had worn less. I had a long sleeved wicking shirt on under a long sleeved race t shirt and had to pull up my sleeves. If it's near 40 degrees out, i would suggest short sleeved wicking shirt under long sleeved tee and wear a fleece or something there to warm up in, then take it off right before the race. Also I learned after my first 5K that I need to carry a water bottle and tissues...
  • Hi! I am in Ontario as well (Ajax), so I know exactly what you mean. We could have snow in March or it could be spring-like. I recommend waiting until March to decide what to wear. Right now I am running in the cold with a tank top, long sleeve dri-fit shirt, and a running jacket over that. I wear long dri-fit pants, and I have a Lululemon headband that covers my ears from the wind (my head gets too hot for a hat), and thin gloves, which usually end up coming off halfway thru. This suits me just fine. In the spring, I'll just wear my long pants (think yoga pants), and my long sleeve shirt. When summer hits, its a tank top and pants, or shorts (depending on how my legs look by then) :wink: .

My advice is, don't OVER layer. You don't want to get too hot and then have to fiddle around with removing layers during a race. You will warm up after about 5-10 minutes. And you can always leave a jacket with someone waiting for you at the finish line to put on when you are done. Good luck!! :happy: