Running Shoes

Options

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Saucony! Turns out my mom has the same pair and we didn't even know it! My good guy friend also runs in Sauconys. I tried out a lot of different types of shoes before I got my Sauconys. They were $50 at REI. Good luck and be sure to try out lots of shoes in the store before you pull the trigger!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I run in Brooks...love them...I have seen lots of saucony shoes for less than 50
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Balance fan as well. I've used Nike, but didn't like them as much. I would also suggest at least getting fitted at a running store. One near me has a treadmill and cameras hooked up to it that they use to analyze your running - see whether you pronate or supranate (sp?) and if you're heel striking or running on the balls of your feet.
    They can at least recommend what brand/style of shoe that will work best for you.
    Overall though, you need to try them on (take them for a spin around the store) and make sure they're comfortable for you.
    Good luck with your training!
  • jdupla5
    Options
    I've tried several brands and I can get more mileage (average 300-400 miles) out of Saucony. I usually get the cohesions which are usually 40 bucks. But again, different shoes for different feet but Saucony's last.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some of you are mentioning a running store, I'm not sure what you mean? Like foot locker?
  • metfanlisa
    metfanlisa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your C25K!

You truly need to be fitted for running shoes and your local running store can help you there. After you're fitted they can tell you what type of shoe you need i.e. motion control, neutral, stability; and you can take that advise and search the net if the store isn't having any great deals on shoes.

You can also use Runners World Shoe Finder. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Best of Luck!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Asics are great shoes. Depends on your foot. When I was running I wore asics. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. Talk to a shoe tech. Try on all the good brands and the tech will watch how you walk and can advise you. So much depends on your weight, weather you suppinate or pronate etc. If you can't afford what they have at the moment get the number and brand of shoe that fits you and feels the most confortable. Go online to see if you can get them for less. Just make sure that you can return them if they are not right. www.roadrunnerssports.com/ is a great sight. I buy all my shoes from them. Right now they are having a 56% sale on running shoes. Good luck. Just make sure the shoes fit well or you can end up with knee and hip problems. Oh, road runner will except returns and if I remember correctly they pay shipping.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Some of you are mentioning a running store, I'm not sure what you mean? Like foot locker?

Yes, or call runners world. They are great for help. Most people I ran with used runners world to buy their shoes. That being said there are other stores that specialize in running shoes. I don't know what is in your area. Good luck and keep training.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running shop where you can run on a treadmill and they will do a gait analysis. I got my first pair of proper running shoes part way through C25K and it turns out my right foot goes inwards so I need shoes with a lot of support for overpronation. I got New Balance and they are like running on air. Have now got some Asics trail shoes and they are great too. I wouldn't buy running shoes now without trying them out. The shop I go to even let you go for a run down the road in them!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, NOT like footlocker. They are generally, though not always, going to be a locally owned store, not a chain store. They specialize in running, sometimes in triathlon too. They will take the time to look at your foot (arch, width, etc) and your stride to determine the best shoes for you.

Box stores won't do that for you.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I would recommend going to a running store as well and getting fitted. After finding the best ones for you, search amazon. com or even zappos.com. I order a lot of my shoes on zappos because of the size of my feet - I have difficulties finding them in regular shoe stores.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Balance fan as well. I've used Nike, but didn't like them as much. I would also suggest at least getting fitted at a running store. One near me has a treadmill and cameras hooked up to it that they use to analyze your running - see whether you pronate or supranate (sp?) and if you're heel striking or running on the balls of your feet.
    They can at least recommend what brand/style of shoe that will work best for you.
    Overall though, you need to try them on (take them for a spin around the store) and make sure they're comfortable for you.
    Good luck with your training!
    This!

While it won't matter much until you're actually running for more than few minutes at a time, you will eventually need to get fitted for the right pair of shoes. Since money is tight, you should get the right pair the first time. The first pair of shoes I started running in hurt my right knee. I then went to a running store where they analyzed my gait using the treadmill and cameras mentioned above, as well as having me stand on a pressure pad to determine my arches, etc.

I ended up with a pair of Brooks that time, which cost about $80, but as someone else mentioned, let the sales person know what your budget is and they should be able to steer you to the right shoe in the clearance area.

On a side note, Brooks run small and I ended up bringing those shoes back and trading "up" to a larger pair of Mizunos (my heels slipped in the larger size of that Brooks model). I bought my shoes at Roadrunner Sports and for $1.99 joined their VIP club. That gives me the privilege of returning my shoes within 90 days if they don't fit right. I was able to return those Brooks and get the Mizunos for the $10 price difference. You can't do that at Famous Footwear or JC Penney.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a running store as well and getting fitted. After finding the best ones for you, search amazon. com or even zappos.com. I order a lot of my shoes on zappos because of the size of my feet - I have difficulties finding them in regular shoe stores.

A running store caters to runners and will often have a pedorthist on staff. Unlike Foot Locker, they recommend that you try a jog with the shoes (around the block, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedorthist
  • mattrolston
    Options
    Generally an Adidas fan myself, free shoes through our team sponsorship deal helps ;)

As a few people have mentioned go to a running style store, its probably going to be a locally owned store who will take the time to analyse your feet and your running style to get a shoe that biomechanically works for you. Depending on your level of supination or pronation will depend on the amount of support you need in your shoe. If you get this wrong it often leads to the rest of you body being out of alignment so your running the risk of calf strains, knee injuries and even hip and lower back pain.

This all being said you are on a budget and these types of stores generally are a little more expensive that an outlet or the big brand name stores. You can always get fitted up properly and go away to think about it/look for the prescribed shoe in the outlets or big names or even online as you will be sized up properly too.

One other thing, if your starting to get into running treat your feet to some nice socks, Thorlos have extra cushioning underneath and while a bit more costly than others they last forever. Just wash them inside out and pop them in the dryer to fluff them up.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch 2 5 K and after 2 sessions have decided I really need running shoes. I'm currently wearing some old new balance cross trainers. I'm unemployed, but have about $50 in Christmas money. We also have a nike outlet, reebok outlet and new balance outlet close by.

Any suggestions of shoes I should look at?

I see you are in Raleigh. Go to Fleet Feet, Omega Sports, Try Sports, or Raleigh Running Outfitters.
  • jdoolen
    jdoolen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and the running shoes I use are the vibram toe shoes I LOVE THEM! I run faster and I dont jolt my body like I did with the bulk tennis shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

While you certainly can do that, I don't recommend it. Someone is taking their time to work with you and get you fitted with the right shoes. Have the courtesy to buy from them. If you chose to buy online in the future, then so be it... but get that first pair from the person that took the time to fit your properly.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What is the climate where you live?
    If it is mild, have you tried running barefoot?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/runningworkouts/a/Barefoot-Running.htm

I am new to running outside but all of my gym work is done barefoot. Even when I am hitting the treadmill.

For outdoor running I bought a cheap pair of no name shoes from a local store "Yellow" @ $30. It has not been long enough yet for me to know if I made a good choice or not. (Hard to run barefoot outside here as we have cold & snow in the winter.)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Find a running specialty store and get a proper fitting for shoes. Everyone's foot and gait are different, and a shoe that works well for one person could cause serious pain and even injury for another. My daughter and I were both fitted (we went to Fleet Feet Sports), and we needed totally opposite types of shoes. You will spend more (look for a sale, though...you might luck out), but it's worth it to prevent injury and things like shin splints.

Most places like Sports Authority, D ick's Sporting Goods, etc., sell great shoes, but they don't know how to properly fit people. You can also go and get fit at a specialty store, then order the right shoes from Amazon or somewhere if you absolutely can't afford them in the store. It is more courteous to buy them from the store that fit you, but if you have no other alternative, that is an option.