starvation mode

Options
Have been on this website for a short period of time and am still learning. Last night when entered all my data the message popped up that I eat not enough calories in order to maintain losing weight. I had about 140 calories left but then I ate a roll with a slice of cheese and then I was slightly over. How particular do I have to be? I try to have a big breakfast, a good lunch and a light dinner in order to burn as much calories from the first two meals during the day instead of sleeping on it. Am I right in thinking that this helps? Any one????

Replies

• kimamanda65
    Options
    Petra I believe how you doing it is the right way but me interested on other views:) Kim
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode in the true sense is when someones body fat is extremely low from actually starving, then the body will down regulate fat burning for survival purposes. Most people that say starvation mode actually mean, adaptive thermogenesis or a slow down of someones metabolism, which is basically due to the weight loss that occurs and if hormones are effected, the body will also slow it's metabolism further but weight loss will still occur if your in a deficit.......sometimes people confuse that with plateau's or weight gain when in actual fact it's a combination of that adaptive thermogenesis and not getting the numbers right. Basically if you have quite a bit of fat to lose, starvation mode is not going to happen....a slow down yes. imo of course. And that slowdown caused by hormonal imbalances takes more than a meal or a few days.......and if someone gets the right nutrition and weight trains, no slow down at all can happen as well.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode in the true sense is when someones body fat is extremely low from actually starving, then the body will down regulate fat burning for survival purposes. Most people that say starvation mode actually mean, adaptive thermogenesis or a slow down of someones metabolism, which is basically due to the weight loss that occurs and if hormones are effected, the body will also slow it's metabolism further but weight loss will still occur if your in a deficit.......sometimes people confuse that with plateau's or weight gain when in actual fact it's a combination of that adaptive thermogenesis and not getting the numbers right. Basically if you have quite a bit of fat to lose, starvation mode is not going to happen....a slow down yes. imo of course. And that slowdown caused by hormonal imbalances takes more than a meal or a few days.......and if someone gets the right nutrition and weight trains, no slow down at all can happen as well.

No, starvation mode is when I'm in the drive through at McDonald's and the person in front of me is digging change from under the seat.
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options

No, starvation mode is when I'm in the drive through at McDonald's and the person in front of me is digging change from under the seat.

:laugh: