Adjusted Exercise Calories

Options
Hi there,

While trying to loose weight, I have started to do quite a bit of exercise and got myself a heart rate monitor to track exactly what I am burning. So far so good.

But what I am wondering is whether I should deduct the calories that I would have burned anyway just resting in that time. So if I burned 600 cals running for an hour, should I take 100 off (I checked, this is about my resting consumption)? This is the difference between having or not having one choclate treat, so it is important to me.

Does anyone else do this?

Ada

Replies

• witrixie2011
    Options
    Interesting question!! I'd love to hear what other people think since I have no idea.
  • barbersj
    Options
    If you really crave that treat try setting aside one day a week. On that day have that chocolate treat or maybe that dip or fast food. Dont do all of them lol but this gives you something to look fwd to each week and keeps you from having a sweet everyday. You want your workout to go as far as it can and not hamper it with junk. BUT a small piece of dark chocolate and a teaspoon of orgainic peanut butter is great way to indulge and not be unhealthy!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I always deduct my "resting burn." Mine is more like 1 calorie per minute, which makes it easy. So if my Bodybugg reads 400 calories for my 60-minute Zumba workout, I log 340 calories on MFP.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

While trying to loose weight, I have started to do quite a bit of exercise and got myself a heart rate monitor to track exactly what I am burning. So far so good.

But what I am wondering is whether I should deduct the calories that I would have burned anyway just resting in that time. So if I burned 600 cals running for an hour, should I take 100 off (I checked, this is about my resting consumption)? This is the difference between having or not having one choclate treat, so it is important to me.

Does anyone else do this?

Ada
    It's funny you bring this up.
    I absolutely subtract the resting consumption from the principle exercise burn.
    That's what worked for me to find my zone where all this worked.

I never even mentioned it, but if you notice my exercise posts, they're always a bit low for what I did.
    Anyway, I never dreamed anybody else would even think of this.

Nice topic!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't deduct anything because you will be burning calories at a higher rate than normal for a while after you finish exercising too, so it probably balances out.

That's what works for me anyway :happy:
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Good idea - wouldn't want to over post what we burn and set up false expectations based on our workouts.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend that you do exactly that. I generally eat no more than half of my exercise calories to compensate for naturally burned calories and errors in calculation. Works better for me (and many people).
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not count the time resting between sets when doing strength training, but I do count 1 min for each set. So I multiply for each 1 set x 1 of each exercise and that is how I come up with the total mins.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't deduct anything because you will be burning calories at a higher rate than normal for a while after you finish exercising too, so it probably balances out.

That's what works for me anyway :happy:

That's why I decided not to deduct out the calories I'd burn anyway. But I also don't eat back all of my exercise calories, just because I assume any packaged foods I eat have under estimated calories by about 10% ;) Because they're allowed to be off by about that much. So, if I eat something that says 100, it could be 110, etc. And it adds up.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with stefaniee83. I don't ever figure that I will ever be able to add up all my calories down to the last one that I consume (did I eat 5 grapes or 6). You should also figure that the HRM isn't going to be exact either when providing the calories you burned. I understand that they could be off as much as 20% or more in either direction based on the brand of watch and how intense your workouts are. I use the HRM as a tool to make sure that I don't overdo it on my heart rate and give me a general idea of the calories that I am burning.

11810586.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • akeding
    akeding Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. The comments have convinced me that some adjustment is indeed sensible to avoid consistent bias, even though we can never know exactly what goes in and out.

Thanks again!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    HRM's when set up properly(with all info, correct max heart rate and Vo2max) are only about 80% accurate.

I've been using an HRM since about May, and have never subtracted out my resting calories. I also eat back most to all of my exercise calories and have never had a issue losing weight.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I subtract out my resting calories usually. However, I eat a lot, so I am still netting well over 1200 calories.

As long as you are eating a decent amount of food, it is better to underestimate than overestimate.