Sugar Withdrawals?

Options
Hi everyone,

I started my diet 4 days ago and for the last three days of them, I have had increasingly stronger headaches, feeling lethargic, foggy brain and a general feeling on being weak. I used to be a sweet tooth and I am attributing all the above symptoms to sugar withdrawal.

I have checked my blood pressure to make sure that it was too low but it's within the limit (on the high side).

I was wondering if many people have/are experiencing this and how does people go about deal with it. I have gone cold turkey with sugar. Is that a good thing or should I just slowly cut off instead of cold turkey?

Replies

• dchris99
    dchris99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did have sugar withdrawl but only the 1st day, my daughter's has lasted longer but I think hers was a combination of sugar & caffine, because she quit the sweet tea and sodas, that I was not having. Stick it out, shouldn't last long!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    LOL, sugar isn't heroin.
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you've already made it this far don't go back and start eating sugar again only to wean. Its rough. Being grumpy, headaches, intense cravings - its all part of the process.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Took me about a week to get past it. Feel great now and have more energy (lower carb, higher protein diet).
  • RNDWorld
    Options
    Oh yes it is! Sugar IS heroin to some of us. :)
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I experienced sugar withdrawals as well but eventually they decrease. I used to snack on sweets multiple times a day but now I'm rarely tempted.
  • yabbo24497
    yabbo24497 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water may help with your headaches. The sugar may have been covering that up before. Water can be a HUGE difference.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    This could be due to the calorie restriction you most likely placed on yourself as well. Def drink more water and if your cal deficit was significant you are going to get headaches
  • BC47460
    Options
    Yes! Sugar is a carb and your body IS addicted! Try increasing your protein or snaking on low sugar treats like fruit. The cravings will subside and fruits are essential to a healthy you. :happy:
  • saynotosugar
    saynotosugar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a caffeine withdrawl. Did you give up sugary caffeinated drinks also? Quitting caffeine cold turkey can give you a terrible headache and make you feel lethargic. It does to me anyway. You may have to wean yourself off of caffeine gradually. Get it through other sources such as teas or coffee with no sugar of course. ;) As far as sugar goes, it is my downfall. Yes it can give you energy but it can also make you feel tired as your insulin levels drop, causing you to want more. This is my problem. It is a roller coaster ride. I went on the Sugar Buster Diet and was very successful. You are allowed only 15g of sugar a day. It took me about two weeks before I stopped thinking about having something sweet constantly. Satisfy your sweet tooth naturally by eating healthy fruits. You will be surprised at how much better food tastes when you give up all of those sugary treats. Good Luck you!