My dog is dead. Help?

Options
This was back on the 24th of December. We had to have him put to sleep as he had a skin condition- the poor thing was allergic to everything. We tried everything the vet could come up with- hypoallergenic food, steroids, topical treatments, shampoos, even a custom allergy shot. Nothing worked for any length of time. He'd lost almost all of his fur and smelled terrible but he was still my cuddle buddy. Then he scratched himself so bad that he left a spray of blood on the wall and I realised that we weren't doing him any favours by letting him continue this way. It was so hard. He was only 7. I thought I was handling it okay...

And then the vet called letting me know that the ashes are ready to be picked up. I feel sick, and I've started questioning (again) whether or not we made the right decision.

I miss my puppy. He was a Corgie. His name was Ein.

I'm at work. Crying at my desk isn't an option.

Help?

Replies

• micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Please don't question your decision - it was made with the love of Ein in mind. Prayers being sent to comfort you. Hugs.

PS: so sorry I can't help...
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine making such a difficult decision, but it sounds to me that his life was becoming very uncomfortable and that being the case, I think you did the right thing. It's not as if you didn't try everything you could to help...
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No advice, here, just sympathy. I'm so sorry.

I suppose I have advice anyway, don't be afraid to grieve, it is a loss, and don't let anyone minimize that. Trust your decision, you did what you felt was right, and there is no way you would have come to that decision lightly. Do something to memorialize him, that might help.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you DID make the right decision. He couldn't have had a very pleasant existence like that. I think you did what's right for him and your family.

I know you will question it (it's in our nature to think of the could have, would have, should have, etc). But there is no point in worrying about if you made the right decision. It's in the past and he's in a better place (I do believe that).

Take a couple of deep breaths and let the weight of that decision slide off you. You don't need to carry it anymore.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You made the right decision. I work with an animal rescue organization and I've seen some suffering before. I have 2 dogs with flea allergies and if I don't stay on top of their meds/bathing they suffer. If I couldn't fix it, which you tried everything to do, I would probably have made the same choice. We have had 5 animals die in the last year from either old age or illness, 3 of which we had to put to sleep. It never gets easier, but you gave him the best 7 years of your life and you can't hate yourself for that. When the time is right you can find another pet, not to replace him, but to give another animal a good life they deserve and have a companion. I miss every pet I've ever lost, but I know they were happy.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I forget where I read it, but I once saw a quote that has stayed with me through having to put down two dogs of my own:

"Euthanasia is the completely selfless act of taking away someone else's pain and replacing it with your own."

Very sorry for your loss, but take comfort in knowing you did right by him. They count on us to be there for them at the toughest times, and you were. You did the right thing.
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "Euthanasia is the completely selfless act of taking away someone else's pain and replacing it with your own."

That is a very beautiful quote.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so, so sorry. Losing a pet is the most distressing experience. I lost my beloved pooch almost 12 months ago to the day and I am still grieving.

Your decision was the most loving decision you could have made. I hope you take some solace in that he is no longer suffering, and that is the best thing.

xxxx
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    My condolences.

I have 2 corgis, one old and one young and I dread the day I have to put the old one to sleep.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I am soooo sorry to hear this. Losing a pet seems easy enough to cope with, but it really isn't. It hurts just as much as losing anything else you love dearly. He is no longer suffering though---that's what counts. You made the right decision, though it hurts saying goodbye.

My condolences.

Also unrelated, but I happen to be a corgi fan myself.

I hope you find some way to gradually ease the pain.
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I am dreading the day we have to make that decision for our dog--shes a doxie/chihuahua mix, and she's a huge part of my life. I'm sure she/he has lots of doggie friends in heaven--you made the right decision. Maybe you can do something in her memory?
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, You made the right decision
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Honey, I feel your pain. I too had to put my first love, Styx ( a black lab), "to sleep" due to old age and illness. Don't feel guilty. You made the right decision. Think of it this way, if it were you or a child, would you want them to go on in life with this discomfort? Sometimes you have to think about his quality of life. Sometimes, although hard, you have no choice but to let go. Take your time to grieve, cry and think of the good times you had together. After all, our pets are part of the family. :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My Tahoe has been in Heaven now for 5 months. I still feel guilty and question my decision, so I can relate.

But from what you have described, I have NO doubt that you chose the right thing.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I had to go through a similar experience with my dog. She was old though, and had cancer. There was really nothing more I could do except end it's suffering. :( She was a good dog and the first pet I ever had so it was pretty sad.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. You have nothing to feel guilty about.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly natural to doubt your decision, but you loved him, and you made the choice because you didn't want him to suffer. You chose to suffer instead. That's true love right there. You saved him from a painful and uncomfortable life. What else could you do? I hope you feel better soon.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Aww honey, we lost our family dog too December 16th. It is a hard loss and don't feel guilty for being sad and missing them. Just remember the times you played together, snuggled, played games and laughed at the silly things they did. You will always have a wonderful memory of your dog. Pets are a precious gift for our hearts and none will ever replace the ones most special to us. I think about how I would play hide and seek with my dog, she always found me! Her smiling face is what I will always remember. Sorry for your loss and it takes time, just let yourself cry. Putting a dog down is a terrible decision to have to make, but don't feel guilty. You took your dog to the vet because of love and to take care of them. So many pets do not have that kind of loving family. You have a sweet heart :)
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I forget where I read it, but I once saw a quote that has stayed with me through having to put down two dogs of my own:

Very sorry for your loss, but take comfort in knowing you did right by him. They count on us to be there for them at the toughest times, and you were. You did the right thing.

I love this!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

This^!
    Making the decision to put an animal to sleep is never an easy one, it is filled with pain and self doubt. He was suffering and as a responsible pet owner, you did the right thing. You have suffered a loss, give yourself time to heal.

Hugs to you!