what peanut butter is best?

Options
I love peanut butter, is there a brand that anyone feels is the best ie: healthy-taste-calories-etc. thanks Lisa

Replies

• lgochya
    lgochya Posts: 39
    Options
    I love peanut butter, is there a brand that anyone feels is the best ie: healthy-taste-calories-etc. thanks Lisa
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I like Kirkland Organic all natural from Costco.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    healthiest is going to the whole foods or another health store and grinding fresh peanuts on site. But then it truly is only peanuts and not the tastiest pb.

laura scudders makes a variety of better for you pb's, one of the best things you can do is to open the jar when the peanut oil has settled and pour it out, keeps the fat content lower and less greasy.

I love peanut butter :love: Just try to avoid trans fats and too much sugar content.

:drinker:
  • sjane512
    sjane512 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you are looking for healthy, Skippy makes an all natural version with no additives (pretty much just peanuts and salt). Its doesn't taste that much different (not as creamy), but you do have to use it sooner since it has no preservatives.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm a Laura Scudders girl. The natural smooth or crunchy or the organic. I pour out half the oil that settles on top and mix in the rest. Keeps in the fridge. :heart:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Naturally More Peanut butter http://www.peanutsnack.com Made with flaxseed oil, and has less fat than regular PB (11g for 2 T.). You have to stir it, but it is awesome! I buy it at Super Wal*mart. I buy the Meijer Organic natural crunchy PB for my family. Most commercial PB has trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils). That is what keeps it from separating.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Any natural peanut butter is the best for you..........

I add a little stevia to it because my husband thinks it needs sweetened a little.........So, I have to buy us separate jars.

Skippy Natural peanut butter has trans fats in it, so it is misleading.........
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser cookbook and all the recipes w/ PB call for Reduced Fat. I like the Skippy Reduced Fat, it's not that much lower on Calories, but like 25% less fat and really yummy.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just get a natural kind--one that has no added sugars, and preferably no added salt. And keep the hell away from any ingredients such as "partially hydrogenated oil." Those are what trans fat wears when it wants to be a parvenu.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    If I can't grind my own at the store, Adam's 100% Natural is what I usually get. It doesn't have any sugar ... in fact, the only ingredient is peanuts. You do have to stir it after you open it, but once you get used to, the other stuff tastes like candy.
  • Mmarcos
    Mmarcos Posts: 31
    Options
    In your PB you only want the ingredients to be peanuts, or peanuts and salt. Personally I like Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, more peanutty, less sugary.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love the Skippy Natural. It tastes like fresh peanuts!! YUM!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a bigger fan of natural almond butter - heaven on earth - and good for you..

can be found in the natural foods section of most larger supermarkets..
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I buy Trader Joe's organic, unsalted PB. The only ingredient is peanuts.

I keep the jar upside down in the fridge, so when I go to open it - no messy oil to deal with. You want to keep some of the oil otherwise it gets too dry.

My kids love unsalted PB - they think the commerical kind is too sweet and salty, :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I buy Trader Joe's organic, unsalted PB. The only ingredient is peanuts.

I keep the jar upside down in the fridge, so when I go to open it - no messy oil to deal with. You want to keep some of the oil otherwise it gets too dry.

My kids love unsalted PB - they think the commerical kind is too sweet and salty, :laugh:

smark kids you have there!

I pour half the oil out before the first stir go round....and the rate I go thru it...BAM...time for anew jar!

I love Trader Joe's
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser cookbook and all the recipes w/ PB call for Reduced Fat. I like the Skippy Reduced Fat, it's not that much lower on Calories, but like 25% less fat and really yummy.

I don't understand why would you want reduced fat peanut butter?

The fat that comes from nuts and legumes is good fats................
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I love the Skippy Natural. It tastes like fresh peanuts!! YUM!

Skippy natural peanut butter is not so natural................It is too processed for me..............

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/532327/skippy_natural_peanut_butter_the_best.html

Skippy Natural Peanut Butter has a slightly misleading product name; however, Skippy Natural is hands-down the best "natural" peanut butter I have tasted. Here are the pros and cons of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter.

Cons. Since I think that the pros outweigh the cons of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter I will start with the cons.

§ Misleading Name: The biggest con of Skippy Natural is that the product name is a bit misleading. While Skippy Natural is indeed more natural than many peanut butters on the market, it is not what consumers have come to know as natural peanut butter. A natural peanut butter has only one ingredient: peanuts. Skippy Natural Peanut Butter actually has four ingredients: peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt. While the ingredients in Skippy Natural Peanut Butter are just that, natural, they are still a bit misleading to consumers.

§ Sugar Content. Most natural peanut butters have no added sugar so a two tablespoon service has just one gram of sugar in it. Skippy Natural Peanut Butter does have some added sugar so you actually get 3 grams of sugar per serving. While this is still not a huge amount of sugar, it is comparable to regular non-natural peanut butter brands.

Pros. As I said before, the pros of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter outweigh the cons by a long shot which is I why I really believe it is the best natural peanut butter you can buy.

§ Taste. The taste of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter is wonderful. It has the delicious roasted peanut flavor of natural peanut butters, but still the slightly sweet flavor of classic peanut butter.

§ Texture. Skippy Natural Peanut Butter is smooth and creamy in texture. Unlike many natural peanut butters, there is no need to stir Skippy Natural Peanut Butter to recombine the oils before spreading.

§ Shelf Stability. Skippy Natural Peanut Butter can be kept on the shelf like classic peanut butter whereas many natural peanut butter brands must be kept in the refrigerator. Refrigeration makes the peanut butter more difficult to spread and it is not as tasty when cold.
  • melissaag1984
    Options
    Kind of on the same line, has anyone tried this peanut butter mix stuff that you mix with water? I heard about it somewhere and am skeptical to try it. I love peanut butter on toast but it just has so much fat and calories.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Kind of on the same line, has anyone tried this peanut butter mix stuff that you mix with water? I heard about it somewhere and am skeptical to try it. I love peanut butter on toast but it just has so much fat and calories.

Peanut butter fat is a good fat............

You don't want to cut good fats from your menus..................