Poor College Student

Options
I know that buying alot of groceries from places like "Save-A-Lot," are cheaper, but sometimes are slot more calories. How do I save money and loose weight?

Replies

• my344706
    my344706 Posts: 2
    Options
    I know that buying alot of groceries from places like "Save-A-Lot," are cheaper, but sometimes are slot more calories. How do I save money and loose weight?
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    Maybe try getting a Sunday paper and cutting coupons so that you can buy from healthier stores. I know its hard- I gained 20 pounds in college and still haven't gotten rid of it...4 stinkin' years later!:sad:
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options
    Vegetables in bulk! I buy granola bars, Boca burgers, chicken breasts, frozen veggies, and a bag of pears or apples in bulk on a pretty regular basis. Also, a lot of store brands are starting to carry leaner dairy products, which is good news. Just check the labels and you will be fine!
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    I'm in the SAME circumstance as you. Basically since I live on campus I try to eat a lot of school food but for healthy snacks I buy lots of fruits and granola bars. A way I save money is actually to buy in bulk which sometimes could be cheaper and my friends chip in. Also I have my mom send me things haha.

But if you dont live on campus I would recommend always buying cheap store brand and fine those deals. I mean healthy food is so expensive but early bird specials and coupons are geat.

Good luck! Water helps alot. I used to be one of those college students that lives on coffee and sugary drinks but actually water helps me stay just as active... sometimes more!
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    when i was in school i would find a couple girls who were in the same boat. we would go to sams, buy in bulk, and split the bill. often stores that require a membership have student discounts, just have to ask! since fresh fruits and veggies are expensive, try frozen or even canned to save. i also have a sav-a-lot store in my town. i have found that tuesday mornings they will discount meat. the meat is still good and fresh, they discount it to clear it out by thursday to prepare for the weekend. do some investigating... it pays $$ in the end!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I shop and buy off brands. They still have low cal stuff. And veges are always good'
  • GLKendall
    Options
    Try mixing more expensive things with other products you can get in generic form. I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with Wal-Mart brand yogurt. Somethings you just have to sacrifice.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    don't they just drink beer in college?
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    Try going to the farmers market for your fruits and veggies. Then, since you go only once a week or so, your stuff will stay fresh in your tiny fridge...

I know on San Diego State campus there are healthier options as well-such as pita pit and juice it up, salad bars and others as well...could you try those options? I know that can get kind of pricy though too:ohwell:

P.S. Enjoy your time in college! and dont forget to drink lots of beer!!!:drinker:
  • awinmac
    awinmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi PCS

When I was in university many a long year ago. Everybody ate on the cheap. Dried Beans- soak them the night before rinse when you get home the next day and boil them up in some broth or salted water with a few herbs and lots of garlic. Canned beans are often cheap too just make sure you rinse them before cooking. Rice-short grain brown is best but white is ok too and much faster to cook.
    Lots and lots of veggies, raw or cooked. If you get sick of rice buy a big bag of russet potatoes, you can bake them or make them any other way you like. Apples you can buy in big bags and sometimes oranges too. Oatmeal is one of the cheapest and healthiest breakfasts around, buy a big bag of quick oats, it takes minutes to cook them in a little water with a pinch of salt. Jazz them up with raisins and nuts and a little non-dairy milk. Make sure you get enough Iron, vit B12 and vit D when on a veg regime though.
    Vegetarian is a lot cheaper than non-veg. Here's a great cookbook title I just found in the library. Lots of cheap easy recipes. Student's Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. There are lots of other books out there on weight loss and veg diets and veganism and health. There's another huge plus you can eat about 400 to 500 more calories on a nutrient dense Vegan regime than on any other and still lose weight, and it's much, much better for you. I know it seems time consuming but if you do some big batches of stuff on the weekend you can pack small plastic containers to take all week and freeze some for another time.

Best wishes for some good healthy eating!
    cheers
    -Amber