If I am waking up after noon...

Options
If I am waking up around or after noon do I still need to be eating 1200-1500 calories? On days when I get up at a normal hour I'll eat three meals and two snacks and get to around 1300 calories. But what about when I sleep through breakfast? My schedule doesn't allow me to wake up at the same time every morning, otherwise I would just do that. Should I be cutting out additional calories or just have higher calorie meals?

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you're sleeping past noon, then aren't you staying up well into the night?? wouldn't you still eat the same calories, just at different times since you are on a different schedule? You need at the least 1200 calories, you should get 1200 calories a day -- sleeping burns calories. Figure out your bmr - that's the minimum you should eat (as that's how much your body would burn if you rested all day)....
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you stay up later I'd say eat more but if you're only up long enough for 2 meals then aim for 2/3 your normal goal... honestly tho my weekends are 2 meals a day, eat what i want with out going over type.. some i get close, others about 400under
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you're staying up all night and sleeping til noon you'd need the normal amount of food. If you're sleeping like 16 hours a day maybe a bit less.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    In most cases, it doesn't matter what time of day/night you eat, or whether you space your meals out or not.

Age is a factor to take into account, though? How old are you?
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A day is a day, no matter how much you've slept.

You have two ways to look at this:

One:
    If your goal is 1500 cal per day, then make it 1500 per day. On your longer day you'll feel more hungry, on your shorter day you'll feel more full. Simple.

Two:
    Net calories should ideally be a matter of a balance over several days. For example, if you are awake for 22 hours one day and 6 hours the next, then adjust your two-day goal (3000 cal) to proportionally equal the number of hours you are active per day, i.e. 2062.5 cal and 937.5 cal per day respectively. Not as simple but more accurate.