Shirataki Noodles

Options
So I follow Hungry Girl and she raves about these noodles. I also just came across a recipe on here that sounded delicious and called for them. However, I bought them once and went through the tedious process of cooking these noodles that Hungry Girl talks about. I remember something about drying them really good? Anyway, I took one bite of them and spit it out, throwing the rest away. It wasn't the taste I don't think, but more the texture of them. Maybe there is a trick to cooking them? Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't consider those food. Then again, I don't consider most of the processed crap Hungry Girl pushes as food, either, so I might not be a good info source.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eek...yeah, I would definitely try to stick to her veggie-based recipes--they are more natural and waaaay tastier! However, I did make a recipe last week with those noodles, and it was the first time I've been able to prepare them in a way that I enjoy!

Look up her Noodlicious Zucchini Pancakes. They're pretty tasty, low-calorie, and the noodles aren't really acting as a pasta substitute. I think that's where the issue is--if you think of them as pasta, you'll be (sorely) disappointed.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I didn't like them either. I could not get past the rubbery texture! I would rather eat a smaller amount of REAL food.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    They are NOTHING to rave about. I use them because I tend to use my carbs on things like cookies and end up stuck come spaghetti dinner time.

1. RINSE THEM WELL (I am probably obsessive. They stink to high hell, so I rinse like crazy).
    2. Microwave them then pat them dry. I think it must clear the funk away.
    3. Don't make them the centerpiece of your meal. They really don't taste great. They are okay in spaghetti and I can live with them.

The people saying they taste great obviously eat some nasty ****. Gingersnaps taste great. These noodles are serviceable.
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    I don't consider those food. Then again, I don't consider most of the processed crap Hungry Girl pushes as food, either, so I might not be a good info source.

they are made from yams. ya know, sweet potatoes.............uh food!

i found they work best prepared in asian dishes. i dont eat them often but w/ the packs i bought before, i tried italian, indian, and asian.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you wash them, and then dry them REALLY REALLY well, they're not awful. And when I say wash and dry them well, I mean rinse then 4 or 5 time to get that gross smell off, and after washing, press them between paper towels, and then let them sit out for about 15 minutes before cooking with them.

I don't think it's really worth the trouble -- they don't fill you up and they don't taste that great. I think a serving of whole wheat pasta with lots of veggies is WAY more filling and nutritious.
  • Otis08052005
    Otis08052005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually like the shirataki noodles. I rinse them really well, pat dry and then throw them into the wok with a garlicky stir fry. They remind me of top ramen noodles and they're good all stirred in with the veggies and garlic. That's the only way I've eaten them. Even my picky family ate them. They didn't come back for seconds, but they didn't complain either.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Maybe there is a trick to cooking them? Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions?

Nope... in my book, they're inedible. I could put the most delicious, flavorful, decadent sauce over them, and they would still be like fishy rubber-bands.

I know lots of people really like them, but I think they are a crime against food!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me and the rubbery texture...even my husband spit them out and that guy eats anything!!!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yea they were freaking gross, I've tried too many times with them
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i like them, especially the house foods tofu ones, 40 cals a package
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just went through this today. Rubbery fish smell is exactly the description lol. But the stir fry thing? Hmmmmmmm maybe :ohwell:
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i found they work best prepared in asian dishes.
    +1
    In a recipe I replace vermicelli/bean thread noodles then I think they are good.
    I don't look at them as a flour pasta replacement.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i bought a bunch- they were on sale and tried tons of different ways of preparing them.. I never got to a point that i actually liked them, i didnt find out that they can be made sort of edible ish.. but i never enjoyed eating them... cutting zuchini like noodles can make some very very yummy dishes though.. i would highly suggest doing that instead
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The people saying they taste great obviously eat some nasty ****. Gingersnaps taste great. These noodles are serviceable.
    LOL! I feel the same way when people rave about "food" that tastes/feels disgusting. I'm like, "No, the homemade from scratch brownies that I'm currently double-fisting taste great."
  • chevysarah
    Options
    i like them, especially the house foods tofu ones, 40 cals a package

Me too! I just made a "Pad Thai" with them tonight and it turned out really yummy. So in my books they are alright!
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've only had them once, and I prepared them with a peanut sauce and chicken and veggies and I really liked it! They were mostly tasteless to me... but the flavorful sauce and veggies more than made up for it! I think they're best used in asian dishes because they kind of remnd me of udon or other asian noodles, not like traditional pasta at all. I hope this helps!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm done trying to replace pasta... First with the spaghetti squash and it's "crisp" texture, then these... =\

Blech! I hear they make "rice" now too.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, Dr. Oz recommends Shiratake noodles too, so I don't think it would be ...bad for you, but:

I use Barilla Plus pasta, which is rich in Fiber, Protein and Omega 3.

If you only have 1 serving, it's 200 calories. Still a lot, but you get the extra boost of essential nutrients :)
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat these noodles almost every day. The longer you cook them the softer they become. While I rinse them, I heat a nonstick pan on high and then dry fry them. I cook them for 10 minutes before I add any other ingredient to my pan.