exercise and vomit

Options
So I was working out today, and yes it was a very hard workout longer and harder than i had done before. At one point i really thought i was going to puke. i even stopped the treadmill to assess the situation. I dry heaved a bit, but didn't actually throw up. I decided to continue the workout. This was because on Tuesday's Biggest Loser (USA) bob said to the potential pukers that if he didn't see anything coming out get back on the machine. After my workout i wondered if it was smart for me to follow this advice since they have like trainers, emt, and doctors on the show taking care of them in a way i don't.

What do you think, do you continue if you feel sick? what about if you do throw up- keep going?

Replies

• smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't think that was safe. Next time scale it back and wrap up your session.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If I puke, I am DONE. Session over, DONE. People can say whatever they want about my post, puking and continuing is not heart, that is dumbassedness. I exercise just fine without bringing up past meals.
  • sweeneybrandon
    Options
    After the 2-mile run for the Army Physical Fitness Test, if you don't puke, you didn't run fast enough.
  • KaiteeKarrot
    Options
    I am definitely no expert when it comes to the medical side of this question. However, my partner is a long time boxer and I commented to him about that very issue. I was working out a few days ago and felt very strongly that I was going to be sick, so I sat down for a few minutes taking deep breaths and got right back up. He told me in boxing that people often felt like that (and some did end up vomiting) but that it wasn't a very dangerous. He essentially said what the trainer on the biggest loser said, plus he added, usually that feeling is more on the mental side of things rather than the physical. He told me our brain makes it own limitations, aches, pains, etc. However, if you start to see black spots in front of your eyes, that a sign you might pass out, other than that, I think a little nausea never hurt anyone. Hope that helped a little
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Happens to me.I can do 60 min of high impact cardio, but every time I try Pilates, I puke.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I ran track I puked mid workout all the time. Would I do that now? **** no.
  • Ghomen
    Ghomen Posts: 3
    Options
    During my police academy, our pt guys had one goal for all of us: work us out until we puked. When we did, they congratulated us and that's how they were satisfied that we were giving it ALL we had. Sure enough, I got point,puked, and kept going.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I puke if my blood sugar gets low. It doesn't happen that often, but I marathon trained this past summer and it did happen a couple times during long runs in intense humidity/heat.

I just learned to eat well a couple hours prior to strenuous exercise (giving enough time to digest) and also refuel with gels and such as I worked out.

I only continued my workouts post-vomit because I had to get back home!! :) If I were in a gym or at home, I most likely would have stopped.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is healthy. It is kinda rediculous I think, I know people who do crossfit think it is cool to exercise til they puke, lol they say they are for functional exercise to keep you from getting into a nursing home... what is so functional about that? Well any way i dont think it is safe. I have always heard if you are exercising and you get dizzy you need to slow down.

Im all for hard at it but i also want to make sure im injury free so I can exercise another day.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Way to go pushing yourself to the limit and testing your boundaries! I don't think it is a good idea to push yourself that hard on a regular basis though! :wink:
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I ran track I puked mid workout all the time. Would I do that now? **** no.

oh yea! All the time! .I used to puke before big races and after them too, but im sure some of that was mental
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    what time do you workout and what do you eat beforehand? I have thrown up and kept going depending on those things it's a funny thing though the nausea. Do what feels right for you don't listen to what the guy on tv says listen to your body.
  • jap247
    jap247 Posts: 7
    Options
    They are pushing the contestants past their physical limits in order to make them hit rock bottom so to speak. If you are at the point where you are going to vomit...you need to stop. Check out your heart rate, make sure it is in your target zone...and keep it in your target zone. Over exertion, dehydration..electrolyte imbalance lead to vomiting....
    You are right, they have doctors on staff...and believe me..they are being closely monitored. They edit footage, so you don't see everything. I am actually glad that they showed everyone having a rough start..I was always feeling a bit inadequate because the Biggest loser contestants could do the workouts and I couldn't with out fainting or puking...now I see they go through it too.
    Please keep checking your heartrate, before, during and after exercise...if you feel sick..stop and check your pulse! OK? You don't want to end up passing out like the big guy did...or having a seizure!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

oh yea! All the time! .I used to puke before big races and after them too, but im sure some of that was mental

oh and that being said, yes i have ran til i puked since then....many times I felt fine, other than a weird feeling in my stomach and felt completely fine after that - no dizziness or spots or anything.....I dont think its good on a normal basis but if it just happens to you once or on rare occasions and you have no other issues, then its prob not a major problem, but might be best to try to avoid it in the future. Like someone else said, there are alot of other things that ould be going into that feeling though, including when and what you last ate, hydration, TOM for women, stress, mental state, etc
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    so it really seems that it is what you are comfortable with pushing through. to be honest if i had actually puked i think i would have stopped. feeling ill and getting back on didn't seem like a big deal, but i also did not get dizzy or lose balance. truth is i feel freaking fantastic now!! i am eating yogurt and it is taking away the nausea. i think i may not have eaten enough before i worked out and was low on fuel.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Had that this morning, stopped for a few minutes, went right back to it, and had no problems. I dont eat before my morning workout, and I think that's the reason I feel sick on the treadmill. But I do eat about 30min before I do my swimming, and I dont feel sick when I do that. And I swim hard and fast for 90 min which is a lot harder than my morning 60 min at level 5.6 on the treadmill. I dont know if my assumptions are correct, but maybe try something to eat 30min before???
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a personal trainer. He had me so some really intense ab exercises, push ups, pullups and then was taking me to a weight machine, I went puked, came back and finished. No big deal, felt better afterwards. I've had the feeling a few more times usually when I'm really pushing my body but nothing wrong with it IMHO. Now if I'm dizzy, that's another story. I don't move till the room stops spinning. But never had to stop a workout and my trainer never would have put me at risk.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always continue my work out after "an episode" like that. I don't work out that hard everyday though so I don't see the harm.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I train on empty stomach usually...or have an apple or a banana but I hardly understand how you woud get vomiting and continue. I have the feeling I will puke if I run just after eating a chicken but I could slow down to keep everything inside.

I really guess the ones who puke will get more injuries as they do not listen to their body. With the workout program I follow, the rule is simple: train to see changes...if nothing changes, stop it because it is not for for you or you do not do it right. The second part is that consistency over a long period leads to the shape we are looking for, and an injury is a huge step back.

If it is not normal to puke for ironman trainings, why would it be for such workouts? I often reached my max cardio and never puked. Now, there are certainly differences between individuals, I can drink 2 liter of water in a raw and feel good while some get sick if they drink 0,5l (which I can not understand from my perspective) but if my body wanted to puke when I do solething, I would change the way I do it for this not to happen
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Burn N Hurl!.....or is it Hurl N Burn?

In all the intense exercise I've done I think I've puked twice, both times a good hour after I had finished running. Both were heat related. Gatorade and water fixed the problem.

I guess if it ever happend while I was exersicing it would depend on what I was doing. In the gym, I'd probably stop. If I was on a trail or on a long run I probably wouldn't have a choice but to continue. If you push yourself to the limits you might get dizzy. You might puke too.

I don't think anyone makes puking and getting dizzy the goal of their workout. But if it happens, it happens. There is some satisfaction in knowing that you got right up against the limits of your body. Just understand if you puke you've lost a lot of additional fluids and if you plan on continuing it better not be for very long.