why french women don't get fat

Options
I've been reading some books on this lately and it is all so very interesting. I have no particular question, only what do you all think about the idea?

I'd like to add my two cents quick. For over a year I have been calorie counting, losing at first, but of course always going back up. Like a yo-yo but I'm not purposely eating, not eating, eating, etc. Only sticking to my calories and working out while zig-zagging my calories making sure I stay in a deficit so I can lose. THAT SAID. Right before Thanksgiving I did great. So for 5 weeks straight I was nearly perfect with my calories. Gained a pound. AGAIN. So, since July, faithfully exercising and watching calories I've put back on 9lbs.

The last 3 weeks or so, over the holidays I might add I took it upon myself to eat like a French woman. Go figure, I've lost 3 lbs. Without trying, but of course with continued exercising.

Any thoughts? I gotta go grab another bowl of Breyer's ice cream

Replies

• lovelylovebug
    lovelylovebug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read a a little bit of the book called "Why French Women Don't Get Fat" or something like that... maybe it was "Why French Women Stay Skinny." Either way, I think the idea is to be conscious of what you are eating without stressing about it. There are simple rules in the book I read like "Don't eat seconds" "Take your time eating" "Enjoy your food" etc... which can be applied to anybody. Sometimes focusing too much on what you are eating can backfire. If you don't listen to your body you can end up eating more than it needs... even when you are counting calories and excercising. Not worrying about what you are eating and relaxing might have helped you lose weight.

It's an interesting book to peruse but nothing to take too seriously, because it's just another label of a fad diet: "I'm eating like a French woman."
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you have been eating too few calories, and when you lightened up on yourself, you ate correctly and lost.

Here's an interesting read about staying obese while eating only 700 calories a day:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I spent three weeks in Egypt last year....and all the food there is fatty and fried. They fry everything! They deep fry vegetables. And they only drink sugar laden juices and soda. I think I saw one overweight person the entire time I was there. I couldn't believe it. The only thing I can figure is that they really do not snack (they just eat really heavy fat/fried full meals)...and most people do not drive and do a lot of walking.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Coffee, cigarettes, and anorexia.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Coffee, cigarettes, and anorexia.

Ummm.. why? Is it so hard to believe that someone can stay slim without the above?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    have you BEEN to France?
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I mostly French, and I got fat! LOL!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sour grapes.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have that book and the author is right on target but.... it all depends upon YOU and your dedication to staying with YOUR program, one meal at a time, one day at a time. You are the only one in charge of what you know works for you. There is no quick fix, no magic cure and no easy way.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    fyi ... I am half French.
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Sex? :) no dont hate me for saying it. Some says that its a good calorie burner.

I have browsed that book. I think its because they savor their meal. They take their time to enjoy every bite. They dont just gulp They chew it well. Wine drinking i guess helps too
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    cigarettes, and anorexia.

i've been there twice (once for a month) and i didn't get that impression at all. i stayed with 3 different host families and spent a good deal of time with them and their friends, as well as observing the general population. interesting.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I was! and now I'm fat.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Ennui, bitterness, Gauloises cigarettes, and multiple lovers..
  • agentscully514
    Options
    oh, how I miss the Gauloises. :)
    the multiple lovers are still health-friendly, though.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There is no Hydrogenation oil in Europe's food, its' actually band from europe. We North Americans have have foods full of this poison... This is the culprit. Take this completely out of your diet, read the labels oh what you buy and you will be amazed at how much weight you will lose.

http://www.purica.com/holistic_living/healthy_lifestyle/diet_and_nutrition/hydrogenated_oils.htm
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've read all of Mireille Guiliano's books- including the one about women and business!

I think the food plan is quite smart, and actually what most of us are doing every day- trying to eat a healthy calorie count, making sure we get more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff, and have good portion control.

The difference is that Guiliano claims that French women have been better trained at feeling their way safely through what for most Americans is an absolute minefield of potentially hazardous food choices.

If someone was interested in the philosophy put forward in the books- I would recommend MyFitnessPal and tell them to log. It's a little more work, kind of like learning to drive a manual before an automatic, but the truth is that until you see the numbers of calories in, calories out, you won't believe what you're eating.

Now that I'm logging regularly I can see that I'm eating (very carefully) just as Guiliano recommends- smaller portions, healthier choices, occasional naughty foods. If I know I'm going out for pasta and wine- I plan for it. I have smaller meals earlier, get in a bit of exercise, and practice good portion control. But unfortunately for me, not being born with this natural French insight, I have to log it all... or else I'm flying blind.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    fyi ... I am half French.

So you're an anorexic smoker who drink's coffee?

Just because you're half French, doesn't mean you are living like a French woman. I am half Parisian French and half Canandian French, but I was raised in the U.S. So I adapted the eating habits of Americans.