Using a weight scale, or not?

Options
I believe somewhere in my house, there is a weight scale. I have not used it in years. The last time I was weighed was at my doctor's about two years back, and I can only guess what my current weight is now. (I added on 30lbs to my last known weight)

Do you think it would be a wise idea to bring out my scale and actually weigh myself to track my progress, or just go by how I feel? IE more energetic, happier, and so-on.

I think I'm mostly afraid of seeing myself gain weight, or not see any changes at all. But what do you recommend?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing yourself, but not obsessing over it! Get out the scale so you can know your starting weight. Then once you've been at this for a week, a couple of weeks, or even a month, check the scale again. If it hasn't moved that much, don't get discouraged! Weight isn't always an indicator of health anyway. However, it IS nice to see your progress on a scale.

I also recommend taking your measurements. As you get healthier, you will definitely lose inches and that is something to be proud of!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Find your scale. It will help you in several ways... but mostly to make sure you have right amount of calories that you could eat and still lose and such,,,
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    Thank you for your comment!
    I'll need to locate that scale at some point. I know it's somewhere around here. I'm a bit scared to see my actual weight, in all honesty.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was scared to see my weight when I first started.
    Whenever I got weighed at the doctors I always never looked.

Having a start weight has made me feel better of the progress I've made now, along with taking measurements.
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    As I said, it's been quite a while since I was last weighed. But I feel I've gained weight, without even looking at a scale. I feel sluggish, tired, lazy. I really need to do something about this. 21 is too young to feel the way I do. I really hope I can stick with it this time and not give up like my past attempts.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I personally usually weigh myself every morning, even though people say to do it once a week/month. My scale is right in my bathroom so I can't help but step on it in the morning. I only log my weight when it has changed. Some days I'll be a half pound to a pound more than the previous day, but its just motivation for me to stay within my calorie limits and work out.
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Im using this tape measure for now. Ill weight in again probaby next week. I dont want to weight myself everyday. I want to
    see as much result as i can
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    I became very discouraged the last time I tried to lose weight. I kept checking back every few days for a few weeks and never saw any change, which is what lead me to finally give up and go back to my old habits. I don't expect instant results, but after two or three weeks of nothing, I told myself it wasn't worth the effort. But I'm going to try again. I need a change in my lifestyle.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Find your scale. It will help you in several ways... but mostly to make sure you have right amount of calories that you could eat and still lose and such,,,

Exactly. One of the BEST things about mfp is that we find out how many calories is optimal for someone our weight. This site isn't "one size fits all".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a tool. You have to learn to use it without letting it control you. Sure, weigh yourself, but that shouldn't be the only thing that matters. Make sure you're measuring small progresses like more stamina or better fitting clothes. If you find that the scale upsets you or has too much control over your emotions then put it away for awhile. But I think it's good to have a starting place fixed in your mind because it can be a great motivator to see your ticker moving.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I became very discouraged the last time I tried to lose weight. I kept checking back every few days for a few weeks and never saw any change, which is what lead me to finally give up and go back to my old habits. I don't expect instant results, but after two or three weeks of nothing, I told myself it wasn't worth the effort. But I'm going to try again. I need a change in my lifestyle.

Promise yourself at least a month before you determine anything is or isn't working, and if it isn't working, promise yourself that you'll try asking for help instead of giving up. You deserve it!
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    Thank you for your comments and feedback. I really appreciate the help from everyone. I think this site may be just what I need to stick with my weightloss journey this time around.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The scale is a useful tool, especially in the early days when there's a lot to lose. It gives you a reference point you can rely on.

As you get nearer to your goal you may find that the scale becomes less friendly, it's then that the measurements you take and indeed the fit of your clothes becomes the better indicator.

Personally I weighin once a week and use it as a motivator to keep myself going. When it's unfriendly I look at the smaller size trousers I wear now, feel pretty good and make sure I stick to the good stuff to make the scale behave the next week :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's just a tool, and I also track body fat which you can do here for free:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

That is just as important.