Shin splints, do they go away?

Options
I've just started doing couch to 5k (finished week one day 2). I've already started getting pain in my shins, even though I have good shoes that I've been fitted for and am starting off the whole running thing 'slowly' with C25K.

Could the pain be just from not having exercised in a long time, and will go away in a few days? Or do I need to do something different?

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    They do go away, i have suffered like hell and ive now been fitted with proper running shoes, youtube shin splints there's some good stretching exercises on there Im on W4 of C25K yesterday during my walking break i had to get off the treadmill and do some stretches:bigsmile:
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, I hadn't thought of youtube for stretches!!
  • gailashton
    Options
    You need to do some good stretches for sure and should be able to find them on line. I have shin splints too, get them often, i.e. like when I go from the treadmill back to outdoors when the weather is warmer or a lot of up hill. It seems like they take a while to go away, but they eventually will with some stretching. Good luck and nice work!
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When my friend was training she got them and was told by her doctor not to do any training for 2 weeks. After that she was OK. From time to time Ifeel like, goes away after some rest.
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    There is a big difference between having shin splints and having sore muscles...sore muscles can be built up by proper stretching and more running...shin splints needs time off to heal...if you are just new and have only run now for 2 days...unless you have suffered from shin splints before I am going to say its not shin splints...before and after you run stand face to face with a wall up close and put for toes up on the wall and only heals down...also walk on your tip toes before and after...and put one leg forward and that leg raise your toe in the ground....just a few
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    There is a big difference between having shin splints and having sore muscles...sore muscles can be built up by proper stretching and more running...shin splints needs time off to heal...if you are just new and have only run now for 2 days...unless you have suffered from shin splints before I am going to say its not shin splints...before and after you run stand face to face with a wall up close and put for toes up on the wall and only heals down...also walk on your tip toes before and after...and put one leg forward and that leg raise your toe in the ground....just a few
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like the can stretch....I generally roll a can from the front of my foot to the rear that stretches that muscle. It's just hard when we don't use certain muscles and then say to them..."hey guess what we are doing today". They react like a teen you wake up at 6 am on a Saturday....lol

Good luck you'll be fine. :)
  • chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hi yes they do go away , i had them for a while when i started walking to work ,its because your muscles have gone from cold to exercising ,you need to warm up more and make sure your fully stretched and your muscles warm before exercising ,also if your going straight into running this will also cause this try doing some walking first then gently go into running.:smile:
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so kind, thank you for all your advice. I will find some stretches to do so my body doesn't keep rebelling at the 'hey guess what we're doing today!' thing hehe :)
  • mlevels1
    Options
    Yes they go away. i had them from track when i would run and jump all the time. Just do some stretches and exercises to strengthen your legs and go a little lighter on what you are doing that is causing shin splints
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey what worked for me was trying barefoot running technique - basically landing on the balls of your feet not your heel. Feels strange at first but my goodness what a difference it has made for me and my hubby! I found an article linked on one of the forum posts.
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First, make sure they are shin splints b/c that would be an important way to make sure that is what you are experiencing and not sore muscles, like someone said before. Sore muscles are more likely if you are doing the couch to running program probably if you haven't done any exercise in a while, and you will feel more of a tightening in the back of your calves or on the sides if its muscle soreness...shin splints are much worse pain, if its bad it will be primarily in the front of your lower legs and it literally feels like your bone is going to split in half, the tibia...during shin splints, the back leg muscle contracts and that is what makes it hurt so badly.

If it is shin splints, many of the stretches described are really good, another thing you should do is do what I have learned is called dixie cup icing. You use dixie cups and fill several up half or 3/4 or the way up and put them in the freezer. Then once they are ready and you are ready to use them, take one or two out and rip the top of the cup off then start sliding the ice, still in the cup, up and down your lower leg. This will help with the pain. I did this in high school track when I was severely suffering from the shin splints, and this icing method really helped as well as stretching well. Ice one cup on each leg right after your exercise when sore, then do it at least once more in the day if needed. Making sure you ice and stretch (before, during, and after-throughout the day) will help with the pain and soreness, but you won't have to take too much time off from your exercising, we all know how hard it is to get going again after you take a break. I know I'm only 21, but I was a 5 sport athlete (not super great but worked hard) in high school and got injured quite a bit due to my over-aggressiveness and I've taken a lot of classes in college that have helped me to explain this...hope it helps! Good Luck!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your problem might just be the SHOES you are wearing. SUGGESTION: go to a footlocker specialty shoe store and try on the best name brands with the highest GEL CUSHION shock absorbency rating (do your "homework" on the internet by reviewing lots and lots of CUSTOMER REVIEWS). Start out by going to the shoe specialty store IN THE EARLY MORNING, when they open. DO NOT make any commitment to any particular brand or even indicate you're ready to buy.

HAVE THEM MEASURE: each foot separately, and make certain the person measuring is the senior person in the store who knows precisely how to accurately measure your feet.

Brands to look at: ASICS, New Balance.

STAY AWAY FROM any shoe that says it has an AIR CUSHION. Those will not hold up over time...even for a few months.

SHOE LIFE: 500 miles. After that, the cushion, shock prevention aspect diminishes considerably. Even though the shoe may not appear worn out, your foot, leg and knee protection may not help you at all.

HERE IS A HELPFUL LINK: http://www.livestrong.com/article/225735-the-best-running-shoes-to-prevent-shin-splints/

I went to the local Lady Footlocker store in our nearest city area (20 miles). Got carefully measured. Tried on several models of: ASICS, New Balance, Nike, Reebok and Skechers. It ended up between two different models of the ASICS that had the best gel cushion. I told the sales clerk I needed to give careful consideration before spending nearly $200.00 for a pair of shoes.

TRYING ON SHOES: Put both shoes on and walk around in the store for not less than 15 minutes walking around, bending, stretching, etc. while wearing the shoes. Do that with the best two different pair you feel might work for you.

WRITE DOWN: the brand, model and box i.d. numbers of the shoes you like the best.

GO HOME: and go ONLINE to compare prices for the same shoes.

I use: Kelly's Running Warehouse dot com

Before I buy anything online, I do a Google search for CURRENT DISCOUNT COUPONS

Take the special PROMO CODE off that current coupon and INPUT THE CODE in the order form before you close off the order for your shoes.

GOOD LUCK :)