If you weigh yourself daily....

Options
do you record daily too or pick one day a week for the "official" weigh in?

I weigh in twice a day...at night before bed (but this figure I don't put much stock in because it depends what I ate/drank before) and every morning before I get dressed. All this past week I was losing a little each morning and happily recording it. Then today I am up a half pound over yesterday. I know it's just typical daily fluctuations but I think I am going to go to a once a week recording day instead of every day so a day like this doesn't throw me for a loop. Over last week I'm down 1.8 pounds which is awesome but all I can see is the .6 I gained since yesterday.

What do you do?

Replies

• barefoot75
    barefoot75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was weighing daily too and those little fluctuations up would get me down. I am doing every other day right now but may go to once a week as well.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only weighing twice a week always at the same time before eating in the am. Wearing the same thing. My birthday suit.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and the fluctuations do get me down but I use that as inspiration to have a good day.

I have read in various posts that some people weigh-in daily but only use the figure from one static day (say Sunday) as their official weight. This seems like a good idea because I expect over the week you do lose, it's just those daily fluctuations (water retention etc...) that cause frustration.
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Alot of people are against weighing in daily but it works for me. If it's down I'm inspired to keep going, if it's up I'm motivated to get my but in gear. I do an official weigh in here once a week since daily fluctuations are not always that accurate, but I also use weightchart.com to track my daily weights. It allows me to also record things like water, exercise, food and other stuff on a single graph. It helps me see how different things affect my weight and keeps from getting discouraged. Even though there are little ups and downs I see the chart as a whole with the line going down, down down!
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, though I no longer pay too much attention to fluctuations. I record my weight twice a week which is probably more than necessary but I like to have the data!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much every time I go to the bathroom. Yeah, for real. I also remove my watch. I might gain .6 or 1.2 in the course of a day, but my schedule is different. I've been working all night, and I will sleep til normal people have a late lunch. I decided I didn't want to record weight until I woke up, so that's the new plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hop on the scales every couple of days but i have one 'official' weigh day where i record the weight and log it.
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience this morning! In the past weighing once a week has worked best for me. I guess I thought it would be ok for my first week back. Another reason I decided not to weigh every day is that I don't want that to be my main focus - if I am doing what is healthy it will all work out over time. I don't want a number on the scale to tell me if I'm ok or affect my day. So maybe I will take my own advice :)
  • jenny031477
    jenny031477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well but have decided to only record weekly because my weight does fluctuate from day to day. It's frustrating when i'm up but I am also trying to use that as motivation. Like yesterday, I ate great, ran 3.5 miles and I'm up 1/2lb! Ugh!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    im recording weekly but weight daily.. if i go up a lb or two for some reason it sticks in my head and im more inclined to stick to my diet that day
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I feel like it. That's mostly once a week but often more.