Is is possible for someone who hates running to learn to lov

Options
2»

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Let me just say...

YES, YES, YES!!!! I :heart: running! But let me tell you that growing up, I hated it. HATED it. Whenever we had to do the mile in school for gym class, I walked it. The whole thing. And not a power walk either. A nice, easy stroll while talking with my girlfriends.

I never thought I'd be a runner. Never. But then last summer, I just went outside and started running. I ran 3 5ks last year, and by the last one, I could run the whole way. Now, I'm running about 5 miles on average, 5 times a week. I'm throwing in interval training - sprints and hills. My speed has increased. I'm going to run some 10ks this year. And I LOVE running!

It is possible. There's a hump, and once you get past it, you will love it! Anyway, that's how it worked for me. Once I could run 3 miles without walking...I LOVED it!
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement! I just finished day 3 and it definitely was a little easier than the first 2 days! I burned 580 calories in 45 min (I walked an extra 15 min). I know I haven't gotten far, but I am so proud of myself for even attempting to tackle my fear of running!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY hated running for the better part of my life. In high school whenever we had to run the mile I walked it.

THEN, I got to college for Kinesiology and we had to take a required class in which the final was a 10k run!!! I started to freak because well I hated running.

I started slowly, had the entire semester to get prepared and actually ended up LIKING running. I couldn't believe it! I even went out and bought a treadmill buz I liked it so much!

I got implants so I'm not as big of a fan as I was before. Still trying to find the right sports bra. :laugh: That's probably the only regret I have as far as that goes (it's uncomfie to run).

WonderBra® High-impact Bra

You don't move much and I am a 34D. Not as sexy as the frilly kind but definintly does the trick, pricey here in canada at $38 but usually can get it 40% off at sears.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Twee, I loved loved loved your post! I could relate to so many things.

I was very active in high school...playing sports year round. I was the girl that got sick when her coach screamed, "Get on the line!" I wanted to puke right then. Sure I would go to the park and run during the off-season. But I didn't enjoy it and it was sort of a means to end type thing with my sports.

Then, when I was in college, I can't really remember my first time just...running...but I was hooked.

I can't really add anything more to the advice that has been given. I hate running on the treadmill and since it's finally warming up, I'm able to start running on a regular basis again. The road I run on is pretty hilly too, which makes me feel proud because of that "extra" rigor. Love being outside, especially on those blazing hot days in the summer. Sounds crazy, I know...but I can't wait!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 sports bras. Ha.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

One regular bra as tight as it can go and the sports bra tank over it to keep the twins in place. I feel the big chested woman's pain. :laugh: :laugh: One thing I won't mind losing! :blushing:

Anyway, I didn't start off liking running, not even close. I found some interval cd's and loaded them onto the ol' ipod and foudn them to be very motivating. I didn't love running until the day I got my first burst of the "runner's high" and thankfully I was at home because I was a bit overwhelmed and a few tears rolled down my sweaty cheeks! Keep up with teh couch to 5k, it is a great tool to help build your stamina and eventually speed.

The intervals were a great way for me, just google cardio coach if you want to hear them. I didn't think i would like something like that but it was like having a personal trainer there to push me to be better and there are enough to rotate them so you don't get bored with them.

Good luck, running is not for everyone, but that fist runner's high and you'll be hooked! :wink:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I was just looking at Cardio Coach. Is this just for indoor equiptment?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Today is week 1, day 3 of my journey with couch to 5k. I am about to get on my treadmill, but am completely dreading it. I HATE running. I have ALWAYS hated running. Despite my hatred (and fear) of running, I have always envied those who love running, and have always wanted to be one of those people. Is this possible? Can I teach myself to love it? Right now it hurts like hell! My lungs burn...which I'm sure is because I smoked for the last 8 years in addition to never running.

If this is possible, when will it get easier?? I'm fairly certain I will be doing week 1 over again, unless today I miraculously can run the intervals without feeling like I'm going to die!

I used to hate it...now I love it. it's possible-- hang in there...slow and steady wins the race. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that jazz! :heart:
  • Nich0le
    Options
    I was just looking at Cardio Coach. Is this just for indoor equiptment?

Cardio coach is awesome, you can use it for ANY cardio, indoors or out. I have used it for riding my bike on long rides, runs and on the treadmill and elliptical. Basically it is set up to help you build your strength and stamina. I have all 8, they all vary in time a little so if I need a quick workout I know I can put on one of the shorter ones and get a quick high intensity workout in. I would highly recommend it as a training tool for anyone. He did design the workouts to work for all cardio types and I prefer the ones with Sean as the "coach" just because I find the woman's voice irritating and his is calm but encouraging, personal preference :wink:

Plus, he loves your feedback and he will update the older ones with new music to keep them fresh and I would say he puts a new one out every 6 months or so. I love them! :love:
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options

One regular bra as tight as it can go and the sports bra tank over it to keep the twins in place. I feel the big chested woman's pain. :laugh: :laugh: One thing I won't mind losing! :blushing:

Anyway, I didn't start off liking running, not even close. I found some interval cd's and loaded them onto the ol' ipod and foudn them to be very motivating. I didn't love running until the day I got my first burst of the "runner's high" and thankfully I was at home because I was a bit overwhelmed and a few tears rolled down my sweaty cheeks! Keep up with teh couch to 5k, it is a great tool to help build your stamina and eventually speed.

The intervals were a great way for me, just google cardio coach if you want to hear them. I didn't think i would like something like that but it was like having a personal trainer there to push me to be better and there are enough to rotate them so you don't get bored with them.

Good luck, running is not for everyone, but that fist runner's high and you'll be hooked! :wink:

How long did it take you to get the point of the runners high? miles running or time? THanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think the runner's high is different for everyone. I used to get mine at around the 40 minute mark...I'd feel mentally sort of spaced out, and then sort of tingly, like when you get goosebumps. Sometimes I feel other stuff too but I'm not sure if that's related or it's just me. :embarassed:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I hate running/jogging but also always admired the people I saw running- I know its a great workout- I have or should I say my husband gets me on the treadmill to run/jog a little bit which i dread I don't do it for long maybe 5 minutes and not that fast he does 9-10 mph (show off) but after reading this post I think I will check out the couch to 5k just to give me some ideas for when I do hop on the treadmill-

I think I look goofy running- and i too always say the only way I am going to run is if a rabid dog was chasing me lol-
  • Nich0le
    Options
    I think the runner's high is different for everyone. I used to get mine at around the 40 minute mark...I'd feel mentally sort of spaced out, and then sort of tingly, like when you get goosebumps. Sometimes I feel other stuff too but I'm not sure if that's related or it's just me. :embarassed:

song is so right, everyone is different. The first time I got mine was after I had been running for about a month, I hadn't really pushed myself out of some weird fear and one week I decided I would do the same cardio coach all week and see how much I could improve from day one to day seven and it was about day three when I had finally run the fastest I had ever run before through a whole set of intervals and I felt like I had broken through a barrier. Now I push myself a little harder everyday and like song about 30 minutes in I just get it. Then I have energy for the rest of the day when my run is over.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Ahh the runners high. I believe it is different for everyone. I mostly just feel great, like I could run forever. I usually say, "Every cell in my body feels alive and energized but at the same time I feel calm and relaxed."
  • Nich0le
    Options
    perfect description kimono! :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY hated running for the better part of my life. In high school whenever we had to run the mile I walked it.

THEN, I got to college for Kinesiology and we had to take a required class in which the final was a 10k run!!! I started to freak because well I hated running.

I started slowly, had the entire semester to get prepared and actually ended up LIKING running. I couldn't believe it! I even went out and bought a treadmill buz I liked it so much!

I got implants so I'm not as big of a fan as I was before. Still trying to find the right sports bra. :laugh: That's probably the only regret I have as far as that goes (it's uncomfie to run).

WonderBra® High-impact Bra

You don't move much and I am a 34D. Not as sexy as the frilly kind but definintly does the trick, pricey here in canada at $38 but usually can get it 40% off at sears.

Well since I'm working out I don't really care if it's pretty or not. I'm a 34D also so I will have to try that. $38.00 is pretty standard and reasonable since all my other bras are from Victoria's. THANKS FOR THE TIP!!:bigsmile:
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yes!! yes it is possible to start loving it.. I hated running... but the day came... when I pushed hard and saw results.. pretty soon I didn't want to stop! (but I did... lol) I'm gearing up to get back at it.. It's cold where I live in the winter, I'm too much of a baby to go running in it.. and I don't like the treadmill! I'm excited for spring... and a new pair of runners! I wore mine out last year.. from running! I was so proud. :)