Incorperating Whey Protein

Options
I never eat enough protein and usually by the end of the day I am always looking for something with high protein and low cals so I can get enough protein for the day. I have never used whey protein but am curious as to how I can incorporate into my diet so I can up my protein a bit. For those that use it, what brand(s) do you recommend and how can I incorporate into my diet?

Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I never eat enough protein and usually by the end of the day I am always looking for something with high protein and low cals so I can get enough protein for the day. I have never used whey protein but am curious as to how I can incorporate into my diet so I can up my protein a bit. For those that use it, what brand(s) do you recommend and how can I incorporate into my diet?

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

in addition to the whey powder...a good P.M. snack is non fat cottage cheese..it has alot of slow digesting protein..mix in some chopped almonds and it is nice

for the whey..I use a brand called MRM whey...I use both the vanilla and dutch chocolate...87 cals and alot of protein,,,,no added sugar which is agood thing
    Dave
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im not sure on the brand but I have a big thing of 100% whey protien and drink it right after my workouts. Im not to informed on much of it though.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Thanks Dave :) How do you use the whey protein? Do you just mix it with water, or do you mix it in a smoothie? I truly have no idea how to use it. I'm gonna do some research but figured I'd ask some of my MFP buds first :)
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I mix it with milk its thicker then mixing with water and tastes a lot better.
    you can make a smoothie out of it and add a banana or other fruit if ya want.
    if you go to the store you can read the Directions on different ways to make and use teh shakes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Thanks Dave :) How do you use the whey protein? Do you just mix it with water, or do you mix it in a smoothie? I truly have no idea how to use it. I'm gonna do some research but figured I'd ask some of my MFP buds first :)

if I have a weight workout that day. I start in the morning by mixing a scoop of the vanilla into oatmeal...then in the afternoon..I will mix a smoothie with the 2 scoops of whey. lots of ice and some frozen organic blueberries (costco) and have half before the workout and half after...it mixes well with water or milk..I avoid straight fruit juices (too much suugar and no fiber) if I have teh calories to spare I will mix it in milk sometimes
    Dave
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of mocha-chocolate protein powder in my morning coffee.....it tastes great and gets me off to a good start for the day.
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Thanks for posting because I have been trying to figure it out too. I tried in water and it was sossoso gross so I gave up but I will try it later.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love cytosport whey protein..90 cals a scoop...I blend it with water and a banana and throw ice in it...I drink it on my drive to work....
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    i put it in oatmeal, incorporate it into baking, with low calorie cereal, straight with water/soy milk, in smoothies, with yoghurt/cottage cheese - it is SO versatile!
    literally u can put it with virtually anything sweet.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I mix mine with 1/2 cup ice, 1/4 cup milk, one scoop chocolate whey protein (I'm using Body Fortress Chocolate right now, but I think I will try Dave's sugar free kind next time) and some fruit (I've used banana's, kiwi and strawberries so far) usually after a strength training work-out. I will drink it shortly after waking up if I'm doing cardio that morning and no weights. Have a great day!:happy:
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    Gold Standard brand whey(Chocolate Malt flavor) available at GNC stores. Mix it w/ 4 oz. silk soy chocolate milk or lowfat choc. milk and 4 oz. H2O for post work out drink!
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    p.s. buy a blender bottle and blender ball if you want to use it as a drink mix in~mixes it up so it dissolves completely~no grit or lumping up
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Be really careful which brand of whey protein you buy. A lot of companies will use fillers if they can and advertise it so that it looks like it's pure protein powder. Like I buy Weider 90% Whey Protein that has 25g of protein for one 32g serving (one scoop that comes in the can), 2g of carb, and 1g of fat. Usually you can tell if it's not pure protein if there are a lot of carbohydrates usually in the form of sugar (though some people like body builders may look for that if they also need more carbs in their diet).

Did that make sense?

I usually make shakes out of mine that I drink as a snack, supplement a meal like if i eat a simple salad that has no protein in it, or post workout. I use a blender because I have found I can never seem to stir it into things without getting the chalky powder dissolved. It just clumps on me :( So blender it is. I'll read the comments in this post to see what others have said. I, at first, was trying to chug it down quickly by adding it to a cup of soy milk and it just wouldn't dissolve no matter how fast i stirred it. It was so gross getting chalky bits and i gagged a lot :tongue:

So anyway, now that I use my blender which they recommend on the can itself, it's all good and I make this smoothie that is so delicious:

Weider 90% Chocolate Weider Protein (comes in other flavors) - 110 calories, 25g protein
    1 medium banana - ~105ish calories
    1 cup/250ml milk (I use vanilla silk soy since I'm lactose intolerant) - 100... skim is 110 calories?
    2-3 ice cubes... I jst find it makes the smoothie bigger and a little less thick and helps the powder dissolve. That make be optional.

Find what works for you, try different fruits. Also, sometimes if I don't need all the protein, I only use 1/2 a scoop because im also getting 7g of protein from the soy milk too so that's still 20g of protein for 1/2 a shake haha. :)

I'm going to read the rest of this thread to read other ideas. I hope I helped a bit. I really like my protein powder! Next time I might try strawberry, though I like the chocolate especially right now at this time of the month :laugh:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    p.s. buy a blender bottle and blender ball if you want to use it as a drink mix in~mixes it up so it dissolves completely~no grit or lumping up

ugh isn't it just nasty when it lumps up and you drink it only to get the chalky powder lumps break down in your mouth. GAG

yes blender is ideal for sure!!! :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

ugh isn't it just nasty when it lumps up and you drink it only to get the chalky powder lumps break down in your mouth. GAG

yes blender is ideal for sure!!! :wink:

ya..some is bland or icky...mine tho tastes so good I sometimes eat it staight and it actually tastes good...but then again I might be some kind of nut
  • neecey
    neecey Posts: 16
    Options
    I use ON's (Optimal Nutrition) 100% Whey Protein Powder - flavorless/unflavored.
    per scoop: 70 cals, 0 fat, 17 grams of protein

It's good mixed in ANYTHING because it's flavorless but the main source for me is smoothies or protein water.

I have a magic bullet so I layer the ingredients with fruit first (banana, rinsed canned pinapple chunks or peaches, frozen berries) then I add 1/2 C water, 1/4 to 1/2 C 2% milk (I never buy 1% because I don't drink milk except for these kinds of things so then I dilute it to be like 1%), the scoop of whey and then 3 ice cubes unless I use frozen fruit then only one.

Another fave is Fresh-squeezed oranges (2) put that juice in the bullet, add 1/2 tsp vanilla, ice and the scoop. This tastes like an Orange Julius because the whey foams up and has that certain flavor that the Julius has (because I think they make it with powdered egg whites!)

And of course I love my PB, banana chocolate shake for dessert: 1 banana, 1 Tbsp PB, 1-2 Tbsp Hershey's reduced sugar or Special Dark syrup, some milk and some water and 3 or so ice cubes. YUM-O
  • Mmarcos
    Mmarcos Posts: 31
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate. ON also has a variety pack with 16 of their flavors to try, I'm thinking about buying it next to find the one I like the best and one that my mom will like too.

There's a lot of options for whey, vanilla goes pretty good with most things. I mix mine with oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, and make smoothies and shakes using water, milk, or juice + fruit or peanut butter. You can find a bunch of recipes online. There's some for protein pancakes, brownies, bars, ect. You just gotta find a powder that tastes good to you, some powders cook better than others.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I'm way pumped that someone posted this, as I just so happened to buy my first Whey Protein Isolate tub today - nautural vanilla. I was wondering what all my options were for making things with it! Now I know! Putting it in oatmeal...that's a great idea!!! I'm already looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Jay Robb protein is the BEST!!!!

You can buy 1 serving size packs to try it out.......................It is sweetened with Stevia too, not sugar or sucralose (aplenda), so it is all natural.