Help needed - Weight loss and maintaining strength

Options
I am about 25lbs into a loss of 100 plus lbs. I have noticed that instead of getting stronger lifting, I am working harder just maintaining.

I am lifting 3-4 per week using a Bowflex, and cardio with a bike and rowing machine. I've been doing 3 sets of 10 for a variety of excercises, which used to be easy and now I'm barely able to get through it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? What can I do to prevent this?

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? are you resting a day or two in between strength sessions?

try different exercise.... also try different weights too - and different rep sets.... i.e. 10 sets of 10 -- or 3 sets of 15 -- or some kind of variety.... plus as you lose weight you do lose muscle - so you're combatting that.....
  • dan76hixon
    dan76hixon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Been alternating strength and cardio, with one day off of both a week. Set my goals to a 2lb/week weight loss and been within 150 cal or so of MFP reccommendation. I've only been doing this for about 7 weeks now, so I appreciate any input.
  • davepavone
    Options
    To build muscle you have to add proten. doing 3 set of 10 progress weights going up. will build mass not strength. Strength would be a by product . If you want to build strength I would think you would want to do 3 set of 20 or 25 this will build stanamia and incress strength. it will also not put on bulk. but the issue is to build muscle you must have enough protien for the body.
    Looking at lossing a mass of weight of witch I have done. I found lossing the weight with cardio and light lifting just to maintain. worked well. once I was at my goal weight I would lift to build. keep in mind lifting to gain size my cause weight to stop coming off. but may be trading one pound of fat burned, for one pound of muscle earned.

Key is Protein

For me a spelling class is in order :-)

no your not doing anything wrong as long as weight is coming off your golden!!!!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    How much protein are you getting a day? (This is for my own personal information... not trying to scrutinize)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "Am I doing something wrong?" Possibly. One can't possibly be in an extended deficit and maintain strength.

" Is this normal?" For an extended deficit, yes.

"What can I do to prevent this?" Go to maintenance for a while.