Sugar or Sodium?

Options
jhacker
jhacker Posts: 301 Member
Should I worry more about my sugar intake or sodium intake for weight loss? I was keeping track of sodium and doing ok unless I ate bad things, but switched my counter to sugar and noticed I was quite a bit over my daily goal! Won't I lose more with less sugar?
I don't have high blood pressure and don't add salt to anything so I think maybe I should focus on the sugar?:noway:

Replies

• jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Should I worry more about my sugar intake or sodium intake for weight loss? I was keeping track of sodium and doing ok unless I ate bad things, but switched my counter to sugar and noticed I was quite a bit over my daily goal! Won't I lose more with less sugar?
    I don't have high blood pressure and don't add salt to anything so I think maybe I should focus on the sugar?:noway:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes you retain water though.....and that means you might weigh heavier. Blah.
    It's all hard..I think both are important not to get TOO much each day.
    2400 mg's is the maximum daily amount of sodium, not sure what the maximum amount for sugar is.
  • byeuboy
    byeuboy Posts: 25
    Options
    My wife asked our doctor this question and his advice, to us, was to just watch calories. Unless you have a diabetic or hypertension situation where sugar and sodium would affect your health, just counting calories should be ok. Everybody is different but this works for us.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I have a hard time with sugar too.. (like salt) it's in everything! I had a bowl of cereal this morning and an orange and i was already in the negatives. sigh* I would like the answer to this as well.