Giggle Gym - vibrating machine

Options
Hello folks
I have "Powerfit" vibrating machine(Giggle gym) Is there anyone who has this machine? Id like to know how many calories it burns?
and or the equivalent to ....
Greatly appreciated the feedback
THanks
Lynn

Replies

• EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    nothing those machiens are horrible sorry....
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I think the only way to get a good estimate would be to wear a heart rate monitor that estimates calories burned. Polar FT4 is what I have and it's great.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    My Polar 7 and my Timex HRM (both w chest straps), do not work correctly when constant vibration is involved.

I found this out while using the weed eater string trimmer in the yard for an hour.

The HRM starts to register beats, then reverts to 0, then tries again, and reverts to 0.

Makes sense, as the way it works is to register vibration on skin surface from heart beat.

I Imagine a vibration machine would create a similar issue.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Log it as callisthenics as you do bodyweight exercise on it. Any additional vibrating benefit would be seen in additional core strength rather than increased calorie burn.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    How can something burn calories, if you're completely passive? I'd think you'd burn no more than if you're just sitting on a couch.
  • Lynniebinee
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies, I found out from a source who has the Machine; 10 min equals 500-700 cal .loss... humm
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies, I found out from a source who has the Machine; 10 min equals 500-700 cal .loss... humm

I have to run at 6mph for an hour to burn 500 calories. Your "source" is very incorrect.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing in the world that can burn that amount of calories in ten minutes. You could sprint for ten minutes and not burn that.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Don't we all wish :-) There's no chance it can do that. It might help you strengthen your core if you have to work to stay upright, but any big calorie burn is wishful thinking.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i thought everyone became enlightened to the uselessness of that machine like...50 years ago.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a vibration mach too and wanted to know the same thing. i googled it and found alot of research that suggests it burns no more cals than standing! It also suggested that these machines can have a negetive effect on your body, not sure how though. Needless to say my machine hasn't been used since, but my exercise bike has!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello folks
    I have "Powerfit" vibrating machine(Giggle gym) Is there anyone who has this machine? Id like to know how many calories it burns?
    THanks
    Lynn
    OMG!
    These are the descendants of those belt shaking machines of the 1970's our fat parents had.
    They were all going to lay back, flip a switch and shake away the fat - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you've been had.

We should all try shaking the fat off while we jog or something...
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing in the world that can burn that amount of calories in ten minutes. You could sprint for ten minutes and not burn that.

yep i agree... sorry.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Impossible!!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

According to http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi a 500lb person sprinting at 10mph could burn 680 calories in those 10 minutes :tongue:

Any time somebody mentions vibration machine, I just imagine those 1950s rump giggler machines. I suppose it is that, just reinvented for the gullible?

old-fat-jiggling-machine.jpg
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hello folks
    THanks
    Lynn
    OMG!
    These are the descendants of those belt shaking machines of the 1970's our fat parents had.
    They were all going to lay back, flip a switch and shake away the fat - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you've been had.

We should all try shaking the fat off while we jog or something...

Ah crap, you beat me too it, I spent too long trying to find a picture :p
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    lol, where do I buy one?? :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    For the critics, I imagine the OP's device is more like a Power Plate, which the trainers in my gym recommend to add core strength to bodyweight exercises, rather than those exercise belt machines. You don't just stand on them.

However OP, I'd view those calorie burns rather sceptically. At best you should log it in MFP as "Callisthenics, vigorous", which for my settings give a mere 103 calories for 10 minutes.
  • Lynniebinee
    Options
    thanks guys.... I thought it was to good to believe .... Att. link is the Powfit vibrating machine http://www.effortlesshealth.com/Vibration_Machines-Power_Fit_PFM002_Whole_Body_Vibration_Machine.html