Not meeting my nutritional guidelines...

Options
Since joining MFP, I've been tracking what I eat. I am on my endocrinologist's orders to be on a low-carb diet for the next six months. I have high cholesterol and cortisol. I am trying to keep my carbs around 100g, whereas I used to hit 150-200g easily. I'm mostly eating soups, lean meats, and fruits. I'm finally eating the recommended amount of fiber for once in my life.

My question is, even though i am hitting 1,100-1,200 calories every day. I still seem to be low on my daily protein and fat nutrition levels. Is it okay to be under on them as long as I am hitting my caloric intake?

Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    with those issues you would be well served to research and talk to your endo....some folks here will say good things and bad.....be careful which you listen to..
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Protein and fat are important to eat when embarking on a low-carb diet (and in general) because they provide good, lasting energy. To this end, it's a good idea to hit close to your goals, if not exactly on them. Try eating some foods that give high amounts of protein with a lower amount of calories. Since you mention high cholesterol, it might be a good idea to seek out non-animal-based alternatives (cholesterol is only found in animal products). I suggest things like quinoa, beans, and lentils, which make a good balance between carbs and protein.

Also, I agree with Dave. Everyone here will have their opinions, but it's best to consult your doctor since they would know your personal needs best.
  • bebeschtroumph
    bebeschtroumph Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're coming in low on protein and fat, and going low carb, where are you getting your calories from? I would recommend upping your protein if youcan. I really good(and low calorie) way of getting some protein is having a tuna salad at lunch. I make mine with a can kidney beans, a can of tuna, some chopped onion(or spring onion/scallion) and bell pepper, a tablespoon or two of capers and dijon mustard. That will make two servings, get you tons of protein and fiber, and tastes great on top of lettuce. No need for extra dressing. You can experiment with different veggies(I like anything that will crunch, like pickles, celery, etc) and beans. Anything you like can be mixed in! W/o adding lettuce, mine usually comes to about 200 calories per half can of beans/tuna and gives you 28 g of protein and 9 g of fiber.
  • kaseyrobinson5
    kaseyrobinson5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've just realized that I was looking at the maximum protein and fat levels and not the minimum. So, in retrospect, I've been coming in right at the bottom of the allowable levels. So maybe it isn't as bad as I was thinking.

Thanks for the replies!