Best workout shoes on the market?

Hi all. I am wondering what the best walking/running shoes that are avaliable are. I am considering buying a new pair and would like opinions :)

Replies

• christinacherrelle
    christinacherrelle Posts: 27 Member
    I LOVE my Vibram, otherwise known as "finger shoes". They are awesome. I have improved my speed, stride, even the muscles in my calves etc. I find that regular running shoes are actually uncomfortable now because they provide too much support.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    For walking/running, I'd go to a speciality store and get fitted. Shoe types and what's best for a foot is relative to the individual, their walk/run stride (over/underpronation) and their foot structure (i.e. low/high arches, instep, flat-footedness).

For walking, if you don't want to go the fitted route - I'd recommend New Balance shoes.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    For walking or running NB are great and very comfortable. For cardio/kickboxing I use asics (they have a lot of cushion for jumping)
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    For walking/running, I'd go to a speciality store and get fitted. Shoe types and what's best for a foot is relative to the individual, their walk/run stride (over/underpronation) and their foot structure (i.e. low/high arches, instep, flat-footedness).

For walking, if you don't want to go the fitted route - I'd recommend New Balance shoes.

Seriously, GO TO A SPECIALTY STORE if you are running to at least learn what types of shoes you need. Your knees and feet will thank you.
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    I love my Reebok ZigTechs...LOVE LOVE LOVE them, lol.

They are the best pair of workout shoes I have owned. I use them for walking, running, zumba, weights, everything. They are a great pair of cross-trainers. Good support, good fit, all around great shoe (for me) :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

This is good advice. For me, I have to go with Nike or UnderArmor as they are a bit more narrow and have better arch support (I do more HIIT than running). My new balances and Puma's were killing me when exercising.

I hear Asics are really good for running though.
  • juli3b2011
    juli3b2011 Posts: 77 Member
    I use New Balance for walking and Nike Free for Zumba.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    I want me some Vibrams...
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    The best workout shoes on the market are the ones that fit your foot correctly and that you enjoy wearing.
    My suggestion is to go to a specialty running store (not a big box store or a shopping mall chain store) and have them fit you for shoes. The right shoes will fit your walking/running style, your gait, pronation, heel/arch strike, etc. Its definitely worth getting fitted for your first pair of running shoes, then after that you will know the style of shoe that your feet require and you can then shop on your own at other stores or online.
  • bubbyp
    bubbyp Posts: 37 Member

Oooo i like this - I bought my first pair of running/walking shoes in the sale the other day and bought New Balance (not knowing that they were any good)!

Eek excited to wear them tonight now! xx
  • For walking, Keens. I have 4 pairs. Also barefoot gloves by Merrell are nice for running.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Agree with BarneyStinson (legen.......wait for it......dary!). Go to a running store, get an evaluation of your gait. If you don't want to pay the likely higher cost they have there, try on a bunch, figure out which ones you like, tell them you need to think about it then surf teh intarwebz for good prices. roadrunnersports.com, holabirdsports.com and eastbay.com always have closeouts that are cheap.

I've had Brooks, New Balance, Mizuno and most recently Saucony. None of them are "bad." The NB wore out faster than I would have liked and the Brooks I had were heavy, but that was just the shoe model -- Brooks Beasts, which are some of the heaviest shoes you can get. When I started running, I was over 300 pounds and needed the bigger, more supportive shoe.

If you decide to go minimalist (Vibram Five Fingers or NB Minimus, for example), read up on the net about how to work your way up to using them exclusively. There's been studies recently that show, with all the cushioning and support modern running shoes give, the muscles in the foot aren't used to working as hard as if you're wearing minimalist shoes. Vibram, Merrell and a couple other sources recommend building up gradually to longer runs in those shoes to avoid injury.
  • I was needing to get some new shoes also, thanks for all the feedback! Anyone use Shape-ups ?If so how do you like them?
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Vibram Five Fingers are the best damn shoes out there! They make running so much fun, it becomes addicting! I got mine last year and haven't looked back.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 83 Member
    Running Times December issue (maybe find online or at the library) has a great shoe guide. Runner's World magazine also did a shoe guide in their December issue.

I went with Pearl Izumi syncroFuel Trail II. I always get pain in the ball of my foot more than the heel. This one had a 67/100 rating for forefoot where most had less than 5/100. It has been great. But I think the most important thing is that it matches your needs. The specialty stores will evaluate not only the shape of your feet, but also the movement of your steps. (I went to one several years ago and they sold me on a pair of Pearls.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    There is no such thing. It's all about fit and gait. The best shoe for you is not the best shoe for me.
  • aerdna88
    aerdna88 Posts: 74 Member
    Last year my husband and I both tried the toe shoes...I just couldn't get used to them! I do know several people who love them! I have a wide and flat foot so I'm picky about my shoes. I've always done well with Adidas and Asics. I was actually fitted for the Asics. That was a few years ago! Yesterday I bought Nike Pegasus and these were actually wide so they felt great! I wore them all last night and they are so comfy! I'm planning on working out in them today and I'll know more but I'm hoping they are amazing! Anyway it's just really finding what is right for YOUR foot! Everyone is different! There are shoes that I wanted SO bad because I heard great things about...and they ended up being awful for me!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I was needing to get some new shoes also, thanks for all the feedback! Anyone use Shape-ups ?If so how do you like them?

Shapeups are a rip off. One company was forced to pay out after the claims they made could not be backed up. They would be worse for running in and could very likely cause injury. There is no benefit to wearing them walking.

There is no "best shoe". There are a number of good brands on the market with a number of models available, from minimal shoes right up to extra cushioning and motion control. What works for one may not work for another. For example, I have worn Asics before. They are a good brand, others swear by them. I hated them, would never buy another pair. It wasn't the quality, it was that they simply didn't fit my feet well. I actually tend to find that people who prefer my brand tend dislike Asics and vice versa.

Worse, wearing the wrong type of shoe can do more harm than good. Wearing a motion control shoe when you don't need it can cause injuries.
    I definitely second the getting fitted suggestion, especially if you are using them for running.
    Walking shoes and running shoes are not the same.