What is YOUR workout routine?

Options
Just curious. I cannot afford a personal trainer and can't really find anything helpful online. I know I need cardio every day, but do I do it before or after weight training. Also, which muscle groups do I work together. Help! Thanks!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I cannot afford a personal trainer and can't really find anything helpful online. I know I need cardio every day, but do I do it before or after weight training. Also, which muscle groups do I work together. Help! Thanks!

I would encourage you to check www.bodybuilding.com and specifically go to the workout programs section and read some of the stickied posts. I have also heard great things about New Rules of Weightlifting for Women but I've not read it.

I would do cardio after weight training or on a separate day.

As far as muscle groupings, I would recommend either a full body program done 3/week, or an upper-lower split done 4/week, such that it would be something like:

Upper A
    Lower A
    rest
    Upper B
    Lower B
    rest
    rest

or something along those lines.

I beleive Steve Troutman made a post here suggesting upper/lower programs but I don't have the link handy. If someone else does, please link! =)
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sidesteal!!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I second bodybuilding.com. They make it "no brainer" and let you choose your goals and give you options for fitness plans to follow. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

As far as "I know I have to do cardio every day" ...uhm...I don't. *shrug* I don't see any part of fitness as "have to" other than following it with "do it." Find a plan that works for you. More importantly, find something you LOVE to do, because then you'll actually WANT to do it.

I generally do cardio 5x a week.
    ST 2-3x a week.

I walk, run, Zumba, use the elliptical, circuit train (my fav!). I've taken boxing lessons (FUN!) and sometimes hit the punching bags for a while for some "secret" core work (because I friggin' hate the tedious process of crunches). As for ST - everyone is different. I love the lifting room and grunting with the big boys. Other girls hate it. Between my circuits and at least 1 day of general lifting a week, I get in a fair share of ST. There are so many options out there, and a million plans online if you want to just have it handed to you. Find what works for you, find your passion! :) And have some fun too!
  • allison7922
    Options
    Thank you Callikia. I want to do cardio every day :) Makes me feel good!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I am done losing for the most part, if I do then that's great but not trying to any more. I am working on maintaining and toning now.
    If I don't exercise I eat 2100 cals, if I do I eat an average of 2600 cals.

My workout:
    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays:
    15 min treadmill warm up max speed 5 m/hr max incline 2
    40 min weights (Lower body, upper body, mid section)
    20 min calisthenics with 15 lbs weights
    45 min stationary bike max tension 7 and speed 90 revolutions

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays:
    30 min treadmill max speed 5 m/hr max incline 3
    60 min stationary bike max tension 8 and speed 90 revolutions
    20 min aerobics with stretch, sometimes I incorporate calisthenics with no extra weights it depends on how I feel.

Sundays I take it easy and if hubby is up for it I will play tennis for about an hour.

Yes I know it is a lot, but I feel, happy relaxed and supper. Like I could leap tall buildings in a single bound supper, so I am not changing my routine anytime soon :bigsmile:
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I would encourage you to check www.bodybuilding.com and specifically go to the workout programs section and read some of the stickied posts. I have also heard great things about New Rules of Weightlifting for Women but I've not read it.

I would do cardio after weight training or on a separate day.

As far as muscle groupings, I would recommend either a full body program done 3/week, or an upper-lower split done 4/week, such that it would be something like:

Upper A
    Lower A
    rest
    Upper B
    Lower B
    rest
    rest

or something along those lines.

I beleive Steve Troutman made a post here suggesting upper/lower programs but I don't have the link handy. If someone else does, please link! =)

^^This! Very good advice!
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    My current routine is on my profile. It may not make any sense to some people but it does make sense to me. Lol. Totally agree to Sidesteal.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I alternate between two groups of muscle groups to allow muscle groups to rest for 48 hours between workouts. Here's my schedule.

Day 1 - Upper Body and Back
    Day 2 - Lower Body and Abs
    Day 3 - Upper Body and Back
    Day 4 - Lower Body and Abs
    Day 5 - Upper Body and Back
    Day 6 - Lower Body and Abs
    Day 7 - Rest

Upper Body = Chest, Arms, Shoulders
    Back = Upper Back and Lats
    Lower Body = Legs and hips
    Abs = Abs, Obliques and Lower Back

Example Exercises for each group:
    Upper Body: Bench Press, Military Press, Decline Press, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, Tricep Pulldowns, Cable Cross-overs, Shrugs
    Back: Seated Row, Lat Pull Downs, Upright Rows, Rear Deltoid Fly
    Lower Body: Squats, Leg Press, Calf Extension, Leg Extension, Hamstring Curls
    Abs: Decline Sit-ups, Torso Twists, Crunches, Russian Twists, Bicycles
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    As an alternate to weights.

Checkout bodyrock.tv on Youtube. Lots of great exercise ideas that you can do at home.

Also, if the $ are available and you need the motivation. Join a class: dancing, pilates, yoga, boxing, martial arts, etc. These are usually less expensive than a personal trainer but provide lots of support and motivation. Once you get comfortable with the demands a class will put on your body you can add something different.
  • allison7922
    Options
    Thank you all so much! This is all really helpful!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Running is a cheap way to get good cardio. Especially if you do intervals. Go outside. Run slow 1 minute, run fast 15 seconds, repeat.

My routine on non-run days is at a gym, but sounds like that's not in your budget right now.

If you can't afford that for weight training, do push-ups, squats, and lunges.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I run 30-35 miles a week and luckily we have a gym in the building I work at and its free for employees :)

I do some chest, arms and shoulders but not as frequently as I would like. I hit the gym about 2 times a week. From running, I have lost 80 pounds!!! I would like to say that proper diet was also how I did it but I cant :bigsmile: I have not bought anymore chips for my daughters (hehehe - because *I* ate most of them). I have started to eat more greens and lean stuff, but I am still a work in progress!!!

Starting Weight - Jan 1, 2011 290 Jean size: 42"
    Current Weight - Jan 6, 2012 212 Jean size: 34" WHOO HOO!!!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Agree with Sidesteal's post. I've been doing weightlifting M-W-F and cardio T-T-S with Sunday as a day of rest. This allows me to give my body at least 48 hours of break from the previous workout.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My cardio consists of front squats, dead-lifts, jump rope, snatches, DB snatches, Clean and Jerk, thrusters, ect