Headache from Earl Grey Tea?

Options
elg1982
elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
Okay this is really weird. I've always liked both tea and coffee, but I have gotten in the habit of drinking coffee every day at work and loading it up with half & half and at least a tablespoon of sugar. I decided to switch to tea because I can drink it without half and half, usually just a little sugar or honey. Then I realized, why not instead of black tea, to have Earl Grey? It's so flavorful I can drink it black. Plus, I get to feel like Captain Picard.

But I've noticed I'm getting headaches. On Tuesday I thought it was just from being hungry - my body is used to cream and sugar in my coffee and honey on my apple for my morning snack, and now I'm just having plain tea and a plain apple. Then on Wednesday I wasn't feeling hungry at all, but I still got the headache - perhaps caffeine withdrawal? It's Friday, just drank my fourth Earl Grey of the week and experiencing my fourth headache. This has never happened to me before and I have drank Earl Grey tea tons of other times, but usually after a large meal or with a big breakfast or brunch out. A quick online search shows that other people have this reaction, I guess drinking it with a lot of food could lessen my reaction?

Replies

• BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It might be the caffine withdrawl in addition to ealr grey I recommend Celestial Seasonigs fast lane it has more caffine than coffee so no withdrawl then start cutting down your portions to earl grey territory..good luck

I drink the fast lane in the morning and different regular teas all day long so I avoid soda
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I have never experienced this myself, and I go through a lot of tea (especially black earl grey). I say it's probably the caffeine withdrawal, like BL_Coleman suggested. If your body is used to a caffeine and sugar intake in the afternoon, the new change will be unpleasant. But, if you can stick to it it (the headache) will probably go over. I suggest an orange or an apple next to the tea to get some sugar.