Special K Challenge

Options
Has anyone personally had any success on the special k challenge?

could you do it with Chex, if you're gluten free? or is it just only about the special k and you need to use that?

I would also be using rice or almond milk instead of milk, which im sure doesnt really make too much of a difference...

But I'm basically just inquiring about the success of others that have tried this ! thank you and have an amazing weekend

Replies

• Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think the Special K challenge is the way to go. There's not a lot of nutritional content in that cereal. to have it for breakfast, fine - but then for lunch as well? And then you have to have processed snacks in between? Just eat clean and healthy, that would be better, imo.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You might as well eat two meals of cardboard a day for the nutritional content in that stuff.
  • fromouterspace
    fromouterspace Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome, thats basically what i was figuring i suppose...i had a friend who lost some weight off of it, but im also mainly focused on losing it with lots of nutrient rich foods. ^.^
  • dewybuttercup
    Options
    I think the whole premise of the Special K Challenge is that it would be a calorie reduction for most people. I am also gluten free and when I compared the nutritional value of Special K and Chex (I believe I looked at the corn one) I was surprised to see that the Chex seemed healthier. That being said- you can still incorporate cereal as a healthy part of your diet- I don't think having it for two meals is the way to do it though. Just my opinion though!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I agree. I am pretty sure Eggs, Some Sort of meat, and fruit is a better breakfast and better for you.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome, thats basically what i was figuring i suppose...i had a friend who lost some weight off of it, but im also mainly focused on losing it with lots of nutrient rich foods. ^.^

I think you're doing the right thing. "Lots of nutrient rich foods" is the healthiest way!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K in the morning but only because it's quick and easy and not as horrible as some of the other cereals out there.

I agree the CHallenge is stupid, it's about making you eat the very smallest amount of food period, that's why you lose one jean size in 2 weeks! You're starving to death. :)

Jus sayin. :wink:
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K in the morning but only because it's quick and easy and not as horrible as some of the other cereals out there.

I agree the CHallenge is stupid, it's about making you eat the very smallest amount of food period, that's why you lose one jean size in 2 weeks! You're starving to death. :)

Jus sayin. :wink:

Agreed. And what is the long-term plan there? Are you going to eat cereal twice a day, every day, forever? No. You'll be sick of it and go back to eating other foods. Your calories will come back up and you'll be right back where you started. I guess if you wanted to drop weight for a specific event, like a wedding or a beach vacation, it might work, but long-term it seems like a dead-end.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Anything but Special K! Haha, it's loaded with sugar AND high fructose corn syrup... awful stuff. I think you could start eating a bowl of chex or something healthier with your rice/almond milk and see some improvement in weight loss if you're eating an otherwise big breakfast (eggs, bacon, bread, etc)... I don't necessarily agree with them replacing any other meal with a bowl of cereal though. I only do that when my stomach is out of whack.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You might as well eat two meals of cardboard a day for the nutritional content in that stuff.

Oh my god, THIS, so true!!
  • wsar
    wsar Posts: 5
    Options
    When I was doing my student teaching, I did a version of the challenge. I would eat the meal bar on the way to school in the morning, eat the cereal with skim milk and either fruit or yogurt with it, and eat a healthy dinner- grilled chicken, baked potato, whole grain pasta. I was never starving when I got home. As a teacher, you stay pretty busy, and you're lucky to get enough time to even eat your lunch. I also was tracking what I ate on MFP. I lost quite a bit of weight before my graduation, but I won't say that studying and stressing didn't attribute to my weight loss.
  • jmartin1219
    jmartin1219 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did it for one week and I was starving! I agree with what others have said - you aren't getting much of anything from those foods. The snacks were so tiny and sad.

For my second week I actually turned it into a "Fiber One challenge" and that worked better for me. I know Fiber One is not the best thing for you either but at least I wasn't starving. I did lose weight doing this. From there, I found MFP and started eating better and counting calories and the great thing about that is I have NEVER had to go hungry -- I just learned to make better choices.