Salad dressings...

Options
I am currently doing a raw detox (one week of only fruit and veggies and of course water). After the detox is done you keep the same diet but slowly introduce protein and grains.

I am having some serious issues with no dressing for my salads. I can eat veggies plain, but need dressing for the salad. I am trying to stay away from processed stuff. I looked online for recipies and they all seem to be full of salts and sugars. Even the "healthy ones".

I only use like a TBSP for a whole salad. Is there any recommendiations anyone can give me? Like maybe something I can mix with olive oil and drizzle over my salads starting next week? And please no fruits. I hate fruits and salads together.

Thank you for your help!!

Replies

• ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I LOVE Olive oil with Balsamic vinegar! :smile:
  • tatauu2
    tatauu2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like olive oil mixed with lemon juice. Or olive oil, lemon juice and some italian seasonings or any kind of seasonings you like. Not sure if you can have balsamic or red wine vinegar but those are other options to mix with oil
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ChanyRae's suggestion is a really good one!

I like olive oil, lemon juice, a little salt and a little fresh ground pepper. Giada (from Food Network) uses that all the time. It's really good and so simple and light. Don't know if the lemon would bug you? :ohwell:
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I often just use balsamic vinegar - no oil even. Just enough to give some tang and moisture.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use red wine vinegar a lot... nothing added to it, no oil, just the rwv.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Nice if you have muscle to waste.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Are you referring to the detox? The detox being supervised by my doctor after much research of my own? Is that what you are referring to without knowing my situation or why I am doing it? Just checking....
    Nice if you have muscle to waste.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! And lemon is fine :)
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love fresh salsa on my salads, gives it some "dressing" but yet is composed of fresh veggies!
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Basic balsamic vinaigrette would be 1/4 C. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp. PURE maple syrup, salt and pepper, and 1/4 C. olive oil. That will make 1/2 a cup of dressing and last for at least 3-4 salads. Or if you don't like balsamic, sub apple cider vinegar for it! yum yum.

I've used hummus as salad dressing! thin it out a little bit with water, oil, or lemon juice, or better yet make your own if you have a food processor, then you can control the consistency.

Also, here are 4 veggie based salad dressings if you are trying not to use much oil:
    http://www.choosingraw.com/vegetable-based-dressings/

And finally, I made this salad dressing last night and proclaimed it the best salad dressing I've ever tasted!
    Whisk these ingredients together and voila! delicious smoky yummy dressing!

1/2T hemp oil [flax oil/almond oil/olive oil]
    1t creamy peanut butter
    1T water
    1T apple cider vinegar
    1T + 1t nutritional yeast
    1/2 rounded teaspoon SMOKED paprika (has to be smoked, not regular paprika!)
    1 large garlic clove, minced ~2-3t
    1/8t fine grain sea salt
    ground black pepper
    sprinkle cayenne pepper

*Sub lemon juice for apple cider vinegar if needed.

*Sub flax/almond/olive/etc. oil for hemp oil if desired.

*If you can’t find smoked paprika but still want a smokey flavor, try a mild chipotle seasoning.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    sometimes just lemon juice, sometimes Ken's light caesar, sometimes fat free ranch and when I'm having an 'I don't care' day I enjoy Ken's blue cheese (: although skinnytaste.com has a GREAT recipe for low calorie blue cheese that Ive made before and tastes amazing.
  • ptoleary
    Options
    walden farms awesome dressings
  • smithjol74
    Options
    You could add just a splash of balsamic vinegar, or just a little lime juice. The lime juice goes really well with salmon, avocado, tomato, cucumber and chilli in a salad.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    tablespoon of greek yogert. yummm.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I'm lazy I use Cedars brand garbanzo bean salad, or one of their other concoctions along with some avocado. I don't know if the ingredients are suitable for your detox, but works great for me on my salads.