Weight fluctuations

Hey - I joined this site a few years ago but only started to use it the last few days. I have been dieting for 3 months now and getting pretty frustrated. I am apparently doing something worng and haven't been able to figure it out. I was thinking this wasn't rocket science but I guess I can't figure it out.

Here is what is going on - I started to diet 3 months ago. I also joined a gym in town. I cut my calories to about 1500- 1900 a day. I also started to run/walk. I was avg about 3-4 miles a day on the treadmill. I was feeling good. I was burning about 400 calories a day. But the weight hasn't started to drop off yet. I did start to weigh myself daily when I got up in the morning. One thing I noticed is that there were some days my weight would drop a few lbs - kinda as expected. Then the next day my weight would jump up about 7-8 lbs!! I would see the weight then go down again over the next few days. At first, I went to my doctor and had blood work done to rule that out. All is fine and normal. Darn it. So then I started to ask other dieters, the general agreement was that I am retaining water. Now the question is why? I am still exploring this answer. Has anyone else been thru this or heard of someon that has experienced this?

Replies

• foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    I have the same issue from time to time. Typically I am able to look back at my food diary and discover the culprit. For me it is generally lack of water intake for the day or 2 days. If I drink alcohol,that seems to make me retain water the day after or even two days. Sodium intake can also cause it. Does your weight drop off in a day or two or does it stick around? The other thing that makes me retain water is processed foods. It also seems to happen if I eat a lot of refined carbohydrates... the list goes on and on. :p Good luck!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    I'm no expert, but I can retain water in that way. Your diary is closed, so there really is little anyone will be able to tell you specific to your situation - but I'm giving you the bump for an answer.

Lots of people will have lots of ideas on it...
  • ted780
    ted780 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok. I found out how do that. You should be able to see my food now.