What was your first Zumba class like?

Options
13»

Replies

• juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    LOVED IT!

I started out with the DVDs for about a month. Decided to try a live class. Got a much better burn (checked with wrist heart rate monitor). Most people are so busy watching themselves - they aren't even going to know you are there.

ZUMBA + MFP = a 30 pound lighter ME!! (and still counting)
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi. It's such a shame you can't go to Zumba classes anymore. I love it. I have bought the wii game too and that is brilliant. After 1/2 an hour I'm sweating. Maybe because my house is smaller and not as airy as the gym hall! Enjoy. x
  • Deannajlm
    Deannajlm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What I tell people who are new that come to my classes is it is dance based but you don't need to know how to dance. Who cares which foot you are on. If something I do doesn't work for you, change it...march, shake it, or if the music speaks to you and you want to do your own thing...go for it!!! Just enjoy the music and mostly MOVE. Whatever you do is more than sitting on the couch at home. Enjoy :)
  • gretchensnyders
    Options
    I do Zumba all the time and I never remember what I am supposed to do. There are so many different songs I am not sure(well maybe for someone) you can actually get all the steps down! Just go have fun - I tend to laugh through the whole thing!
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So true carrieogg!!!! LOL:laugh:
  • anzabeth
    Options
    I am completely uncoordinated, have no dance experience, and was probably 80 pounds overweight the first time I went to Zumba. I felt really embarrassed because it seemed like everyone else knew exactly what to do and I was lost in the sauce. I had a good friend who encouraged me to come back and I learned the secret. Most instructors do mostly the same songs and routines week after week, just adding 1 or 2 new songs in each month. So, the reason that almost everyone already knew all the steps was because they had been doing it for months. I've been going for 2 years and have memorized most of the routines -so my advice is expect to feel lost the first few times but keep going back because it gets easier and more fun. I've also figured out that the better I know the routine, the harder I can work, and the more calories I burn.
  • doctormonsterwho
    Options
    i love it! ....well i mean...i you like dancing? and just love to move to the beat....then yes!!! it will be sooo much fun for you i go at my university and at home on breaks i do it with my mommy on the dvd or the wii
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    zumba.jpg

My SIL made me do it.....

HaHa.....Love this!!!!!

I love Zumba!!!!
    Used to take classes but instructor had quit at the Y soooo......
    I really need to get my Zumba fix.....miss it!!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba classes since last April. I love it. I just got my Zumba instructors license last month.
  • BretagneNoel
    Options
    So far I've only been to one Zumba class, but I went without ever trying it before and knowing that I am a very clumsy person. I even missed the basic instructions at the beginning, but it's not hard at all to catch on. There will always be someone equally or even more uncoordinated than you. Plus it's more rewarding when you finally learn the steps! As long as you love the workout, you'll keep coming back. I have read articles about Zumba that said it can be easy to injure yourself, though, so I would make sure you stretch adequately beforehand and wear proper shoes and clothing. Bring water and prepare to sweat! :)
  • SheilaParker
    SheilaParker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of trying "curves for women Zumba" its a mix up between zumba and the curves curcuit. Anyone try this version?? I hear its somewhat easier than a regular class??!

I started doing Zumba with the Curves circuit and I absolutely love it. As far as being easier than a regular class, I would say not. I don't know about other instructors but the one I have doesn't make it easier just because it's for Curves.
  • SunshineCarrie
    Options
    Thanks! I see that most of you love the classes - I guess I will have to give it a try (let's hope I don't do too bad)! Maybe I will convince some of my friends to come with me, just so I am not the only newbie around :D
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    fab! loved it! couldnt keep up but really enjoyed the music and there were so many others who were as clueless as i was! now 2 years later, i still enjoy it but now i can actually do all the moves!
  • LilytheMighty
    Options
    Oh Zumba, my happy place.

My first class, I loved the music and the moves and because I have a dance background I could keep up but I had to modify the moves a lot as I was quite unfit and still smoking at that time. My problem was that I was panting after about 5 mins. I was addicted after the first class though and now a year and a half later I go 5 times a week and jump all the way through.

What will probably happen is that you'll be a bit lost, that's because lots of people know the routines and the instructor won't break it down. Try not to worry, you'll pick it up soon enough. Noone is looking at you, everyone is watching the teacher or worrying about themselves. There will be mostly women probably of different ages and sizes.

As long as you're vaguely moving in the right direction it doesn't matter what moves you're doing, Zumba is all about adding your own style. People say you don't need to be able to dance to Zumba and that is correct but to look like the teacher or on the video you do need to know some basics. Don't feel bad if you don't look like the teacher. Those moves take a long time to master- hey it took forever for me to body roll and it needs to be broken down if you want to learn. If you want to be able to do the popping and shimmying etc do a couple of dance classes for beginners. But it doesn't matter if you can't, just do whatever.

I hope you find a great teacher, that makes a huge difference.

Sorry, that got long. I'm a Zumba freak

Hope you have fun xx

Lily
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    Latin movements just aren't for me I guess. I'm great at line dancing and can pick up the dances on the dance floor after a couple drinks... but I can't Zumba sober lol... I've only tried it once and I had fun, but its hard for me to do some of the steps. I would do it again but for now I don't think I'll make it a regular thing.