Carpal Tunnel Anyone??

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for weights when you have carpel tunnel? Almost all strength training routines involve some stress to your wrist???

Replies

• allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for weights when you have carpel tunnel? Almost all strength training routines involve some stress to your wrist???
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes i have it as well if you do reps with weights not so bad but sometimes it kills me in body pump especially with the bar on my shoulders and behind its a killer i just drop the bar down shake my hands and continue just something you will get use to and learn to live with as i do. No surgery for me no way. It can come back plus you lose some strength.
  • oodesireoo
    Options
    a trainer once told me to take a 3 lbs dumbell and do wrist curls. that should help with the strengthening. i never did it but i really should.

PS reflexology is awesome for carpal tunnel.. keeps you from getting the shots
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this too. I find some of the exercises in my body pump class hard on my wrists.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with wrist issues for a number of years from playing tennis.

When you are lifting, look into the braces that are just support wraps around the wrist, also do more reps with a lower weight, especially if your wrist/forearm is not very strong.
    Any kind of wrist curls with little to no weight is really good.
    Pressing your fingers up underneath a table(almost like your try to hold water in your hand)

A big help i have found is sleeping with my braces on, they dont annoy me like they do during daily activity.
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    I have very very bad carpal tunnel and tendonitis. I went to a physical therapist for a few months and got some great tips. I cannot use free weights more than maybe two pounds. But using elastic bands and stretching arms really help. Strength training could be very dangerous and slow if you don't want to injure your arms.

Taking an ice pack and leaving it on for about 15 minutes after you work out and even before if you can really helps the pain and swelling. Just remember to not overdue it!
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    yes and wearing a brace is very very helpful. I wear mine almost all the time but wearing it night when sleeping helps because it lefts your wrist rest and stay in one position that isn't bent.
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm not sure if exercises would help. From the research I've read, carpel tunnel is due to the inflamation of tendons which go through a small opening of bone in the wrist. The best way to keep carpel tunnel to a minimum is to mimize movement. I've purchased a mouse like the one seen here: http://www.wow-pen.com/. It has helped me tremendously.

Oops...I just realized I didn't read your message thoroughly. However, ever since my carpel tunnel was minimized, I haven't had problems with any weight lifting. So...address the carpel tunnel independently, and you should be ok.
  • amy49
    amy49 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. But I dont think exercise works so much. I had to have surgery on both wrist,I did everything. I had the surgery and I have had no trouble with my wrists. The ice packs helped. DR. said that I let mine to bad, I was losing to much grip and had to have surgery.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am looking for arm exercises when you have carpal tunnel, somthing that won't aggravate your wrists :happy: