Running: Don't understand how it works (long)

Options
I have a question about running. I'm not sure I understand how it all works.

I'm training for a 5k run (I know, I know, but I've never been good at distance running, I used to compete for my high school in county champs for 100m, 200m and Long Jump when I was 14, 15, but I'm 40 now, and I couldn't run more than 400m back then!)

I'm using a treadmill to train on, and I started last night (and most nigts) at a speed of 9kph.

I can sustain the 9kph for 4km, then I feel tired. I then drop to 6.5kph for 100m, and up to 14kph for 100m, then back to 6.5kph for 100m. Repeating the 100m low/high intervals for a while. At the end, I finish with 100m at 15kph. The treadmill tells me my average speed was 8.9kph for the run. I have the deck set to a 4% uphill gradient.

So the question is, why can't I sustain a steady 9kph?

My own theory is, that my 9kph jog has a specific gait, which uses certain parts of certain muscles. When I move to the 6.5kph fast walk, or the 14kph run, I have a different gait, and therefore using different muscles, or parts of muscles, and therefore this is why it's possible. Am I on the right track, making sense?

Also, even when I finish that run, I can then go on to do 15 minutes on the cross trainer and eat up another 200K/cal so I'm clearly not exhausted (I don't feel exhausted), so how come I can't use that energy in the run, where I want it to be?

My first ever competitive 5k is at the end of next month, and I'm running 32 minutes at the moment. I'd like to get this under 30, maybe even to 25 minutes.

How many times should I be training? Is the 'mill an acceptable training ground for road racing? I hope to get some road practice in. At the moment, I'm doing three of these 5k treadmill runs per week, with a day off in between.

Hope someone can provide some insight, sorry it's been such a long post. Thanks for reading.

G

Replies

• jdjefferson
    Options
    First, congratulations on the running plan and setting goals!
    Your theory is interesting, but probably not correct. It has been shown that you can lose more energy by accelerating at one point than you save by running slower at another. In other words, more energy is used to run laps/miles/kms at varying pace than all of your laps the same. You're just getting tired, then recovering quickly (that's good).
    Also, running 9kph (5.6mph) @ 0% incline is equal to ~11:15/mi (7:00/km)--incline @ 4% is equivalent to ~9:15/mi (5:45/km). I can provide a link showing why this is true (if I can find it)--I have a chart I printed out a long time ago!
    Lastly, the treadmill is an ok training instrument, but will not substitute getting out there and running. You will run faster on a treadmill because you lack wind resistance, friction, varying surfaces and turns.
    Good luck!

EDIT: found one of the sites for treadmill pace conversion: http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lastly, the treadmill is an ok training instrument, but will not substitute getting out there and running. You will run faster on a treadmill because you lack wind resistance, friction, varying surfaces and turns.
    Good luck!

I absolutely agree.. I hate running on a treadmill, but can run on the open road just fine.. The treadmill controls your pace not your body. Outside you go as you want...

Keep running!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Congrats on entering your first 5K!

First of all, perhaps without realizing it, you are doing interval training which will absolutely help you improve your average speed. I shaved a minute off of my average mile time when I started interval training a few years into running.

While I did interval training on the treadmill, I agree with the other poster who encouraged you to run outside to work on a steady pace. As she said, the treadmill controls your pace instead of letting you do it.

Do you have a Garmin or could you download a running app on your phone? If so, I would suggest going outside and trying to maintain a speed that you are pretty sure you can do - so slower than you want. Watch your pace and see how it feels to maintain your speed outside. Then, as you continue training, increase it but focus on maintaining your pace.

That being said, I promise that your splits will vary when you finish that race, if for no other reason than terrain. You will find that you might run the first mile more slowly than the last, or vice versa. It's really difficult to maintain a perfectly steady pace when you run outdoors.

Best of luck!
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm going to try a real road tomorrow, with endomondo
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    For me, running is more of a mental battle than a physical one. My body is in good shape and honestly, could keep going for a long time. My head, however, is ready to give up after about 100m sometimes! I did a half marathon last year and that was my toughesst challenge yet.... purely fighting the voices in my head, lol.

Road running is FAR easier than treadmill because you have distractions and for some reason, it doesn't feel like quite so much effort. On a treadmill, watching the numbers is hard work.

At the end of the day, that last 1km is only 1km. 1000m. You can easily keep running it and you know it. So do what I did, and just keep going. Sure, your head is going to argue. But you just keep moving those legs and you'll do it. Zone out, tell those voices in your head to f**k off, argue with them if you have to. So long as those legs keep moving, you'll come out on top.

Best of luck with your 5k!
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I broke 30 minutes with a 5k on the roads today. Awesome happy :)

Thanks to all the staff and people at mfp. There's no way id have done it without you
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    To me running on the treadmill is HARD. I can't do it, I run outside. So i have no advice about the treadmill
  • MFENCL
    MFENCL Posts: 3
    Options
    Running is an exercise that developes as you do it. You should start out running in circuits. Do 5 minutes of running and one minute of walking as an example. This will raise and lower your heartrate and condition your body for longer and longer distances. I started out barely able to run a half mile, and now I am up to five miles twice a week. I try to run 3 to 5 times a week varying distances from 1 to 5 miles. Rest is very important when starting out in running so don't overdo it.

Good luck on your training
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So do what I did, and just keep going. Sure, your head is going to argue. But you just keep moving those legs and you'll do it. Zone out, tell those voices in your head to f**k off, argue with them if you have to. So long as those legs keep moving, you'll come out on top.

I had a running coach tell me once:"Pain is temporary, but pride is forever" . That's what I try to repeat when the voices in my head are not postivie.