calluses on toes and heels/ shoes

Options
I have calluses on my toes and my heels. I went to go get fitted for new shoes yesterday. Apparently my right foot is 1/2 inch bigger than my left foot, have a high arch and I have had stress fractures in the past. Has anyone ever had this happen to them. 3 stores suggested that I needed to wear 3 different shoes.

If this has happened to you which shoes do you have now? Thanks

Replies

• Sloth_Jog
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but you certainly have my empathy.:cry:

I have a much more minor issue which is that one foot is bigger than the other. After 3 dead toenails from running, I finally figured out to wear much thicker socks on the smaller foot. Clearly your problem is not so easily solved.

I didn't quite understand the '3 shoe' thing - do you mean one pair for walking around and another pair for running, or did you mean that your high-arched foot is also the bigger one, so that you would need room for an orthodic or something when running and then the other foot takes a smaller size?

In any case, maybe a podiatrist would have some insight? Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's been many years, but I got fitted for shoes at a store in San diego. The guy next to me had one shorter foot. The shoe place opened the boxes of 2 different sizes and took one shoe from each. I don't know if they charged him for both pairs or if they ate the cost to keep the customer happy.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    It's been many years, but I got fitted for shoes at a store in San diego. The guy next to me had one shorter foot. The shoe place opened the boxes of 2 different sizes and took one shoe from each. I don't know if they charged him for both pairs or if they ate the cost to keep the customer happy.

WHOA that is totally this sloth's fantasy! Rock on!
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I actually took it upon myself to go to ****s sporting goods. i thought what the heck. i found some shoes. nike air pegs+28
  • jenniferhiggins
    Options
    I was told to just get a half a size bigger.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. but I would think that a shoe that's structure was designed for a different size foot would exaserbate any developement differences. by structure I only refer to the percentage of enlargement between one shoe mold and the next. Standard shoes from the box will increase the width in proportion to the length as you go up in size. You'd have to wear more socks or risk blisters, and as soon as you do that the body structure will change which can cause other problems. Kinda thinking out loud.
  • jenniferhiggins
    Options
    sloth-jog: Store one: said only go with Pearl Izumi fuel
    Store two: Saucony Progid ride 4
    Store 3: told me to stay with my current shoe now and then go see a sports med person

so i took it upon myself and went to ****s sporting goods. i told that guy want happened. i just started to try on all kinds of shoes. the problem was the current shoe that i had been fitted for in the past was not a high arch shoe to begin with. i needed that first off. then my right foot was bigger than my left. so i just started to try on shoes for stability.

my 2 middle toes always turn black and blue and the nails fall off

then i was told that i need to wear a synthetic sock and to never wear any cotton sock. I ran cross-country and track from 7th grade through college and always wore cotton running socks. I had stress fractures in 10th and 12 grade. So I need to have orthotics put in my shoes as well. I stopped wearing then a few years ago. knock on wood, i have not gotten any stress fractures. though i am going to put them in these shoes for sure. I have to wear that same size shoe as my husband now. I had 3 miscarriages. When you have been pregnant, your foot can get bigger as well. The one guy told me that as you get older your foot can get bigger. I did not know that.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    my 2 middle toes always turn black and blue and the nails fall off

I'm so glad you found shoes! I understand what you mean now. At first, I thought, 'she doesn't have 3 feet, so...' :laugh:

You have WAY more experience running than I do - is it realistic to expect that having the 'correct' shoes will prevent dead toenails or do you get them anyways? I also have those feet where the 2nd toe is longer than the big toe - :explode:
  • jenniferhiggins
    Options
    Sloth_Jog : the 3 feet comment made me :laugh:

Well on my right foot which is 1/2 inch bigger than my left is where I get my dead toenail. I never had any deadtoe nails prior to wearing the other shoes. So we will see what happens.

recriger: I was concerned that since I had to get a bigger shoe that I would have more blisters and calluses. Though knock on wood, I have been lucky:smile: