"Clean Chinese or Pad Thai?"

Options
carriereid24
carriereid24 Posts: 8 Member
Hi,
Does anyone have a clean recipe for chinese or pad thai?
Thanks,
Carrie

Replies

• jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have kung pao, kung pao spaghetti, peanut chicken satay and crispy orange beef recipes. Would you like any of those?
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i'll take any of those please. message me?
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have kung pao, kung pao spaghetti, peanut chicken satay and crispy orange beef recipes. Would you like any of those?

Please please could you send them onto me too?! Yum, I didn't think healthy Chinese was possible - I think I thought they just ate tiny portions!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Oh my! I'd love those as well!
  • carriereid24
    Options
    I'd love them! Please message me!
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options

me too please!!!

I find with a good non stick wok and spray oil i cna get the cals down on most chinese food.
    when i do stir fry, i add some water so the veggies steam rather than fry - the family didn't notice when i started to do that. I can also do special fried rice with only about a teaspoon of seseme oil for three portions.It comes in at 394 cals.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Please please could you send them onto me too?! Yum, I didn't think healthy Chinese was possible - I think I thought they just ate tiny portions!

Umm, most Chinese people don't actually eat what Americans think of as Chinese food. Sort of like American home cooking didn't used to resemble fast food. Americanized Chinese food is, in general, really unhealthy.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options

Me too! Especially the satay.
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have a wonderful recipe for Pad Thai its beautiful and its not especially calorific as its rice noodles in Pad thai. I think I have managed to put the link to it below.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/quickeasythairecipes/r/onepagechickpad.htm
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This recipe is absolutely the best pad thai ever. There are probably some modifications you could make to make it healthier.. I usually use more lemongrass and garlic.. I mix up the sauce as it says and then I taste it.. It should hit all parts of your tongue.. bitter, sweet, spicy, salty.. if I can't taste one then I add more lime juice, sugar, hot sauce, or tamari until I'm satisfied. It says it serves 4 but I usually have leftovers (which are also good!).

Pad Thai - (Recipe from 'Vegan with a Vengeance' book).

Serves 4

450g wide rice noodles (i just always use one package)

For the sauce:
    6 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce)
    6 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    2 tablespoons chilli sauce or hot sauce
    3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate or lime juice

For the pad thai:
    6 tablespoons groudnut oil
    450g tofu, drained, pressed, cut into small triangles
    1 medium size red onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
    125g bean sprouts
    8 spring onions, sliced into 4cm lengths
    2 small dried red chillies, crumbled
    50g/2oz chopped roasted peanuts
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
    Lime wedges for serving

-Heat a big pot of water to almost boiling, add rice noodles and let them set while continuing..
    -Mix together the ingredients for the sauce
    -Preheat a large nonstick frying pan over moderate high heat. Pour 2 tablespoons of groudnut oil into the pan and heat then quickly add the tofu. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes until the tofu is crisp on the outside. Remove from pan and set aside.
    -Pour 2 tablespoons more of groudnut oil into the pan. Add half the red onion then fry for 30 seconds. Add half the garlic and half the lemongrass and fry this for 30 seconds. Add half the sauce and when it starts to bubble add half the noodles. Cook for two minutes stirring constantly, then add half the tofu bean sprouts, spring onions, chillies, and peanuts. Stir for 30 more seconds. Transfer to 2 serving plates and garnish with coriander and lime wedges. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Carrie
    IMO, if it's "clean" it ain't the real thing!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay it took a while to type them up. :)

Charity

Kung Pao Chicken

1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into bite size pieces
    2 Tbl. vegetable or canola oil
    1 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 handfuls cocktail peanuts
    1 cup light soy sauce
    4 Tbl. corn starch
    4 Tbl. white vinegar
    4 Tbl. water
    1 tsp. sugar

Heat 1 Tbl. of oil in a nonstick skillet. Cook chicken until mostly done. Add garlic and red pepper to chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken from pan. Mix soy sauce, corn starch, vinegar, water and sugar in a bowl until well combined. Add remaining oil to pan. Cook peanuts over medium heat until slightly browned and fragrant (be careful not to burn). Once peanuts are done, add chicken and sauce to pan. Heat for 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.

Makes 8 servings: calories=201 fat=11 protein=16 fiber=1 sugar=3

Chicken Sate with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
    1/2 cup lite coconut milk
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon lime zest
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1-inch strips
    1/4 cup cocktail peanuts
    Sauce:
    Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:
    1/2 cup reduced fat creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
    1 teaspoon red curry paste

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger. Add the chicken strips and marinate for 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
    Spray a nonstick grill pan (I use my George Foreman) with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high flame. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until meat is cooked through and has light grill marks.
    Serve chicken skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce, and garnish with basil or cilantro and chopped peanuts.
    Sauce:
    Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
    Sauce can be made 1 day ahead of time, and will keep 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
    Yield: about 1 1/4 cups

Serves 8: calories=218 fat=11 protein=16 fiber=1 sugar=8

Crispy Orange Beef

1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut in 1-inch strips
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    4 Tbl. Vegetable oil, for frying
    For the sauce:
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 cup orange marmalade (about half a jar)
    2 cup low-sodium beef broth
    2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
    1-2 Tbl. Sirachi hot sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    Season flank steak strips with salt and pepper, then toss with cornstarch. Shake off excess. Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Cook beef until done. Do not crowd, work in batches if necessary. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
    For the sauce: Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and cook the garlic until fragrant; do not let the garlic brown. Add orange marmalade, 1/2 cup beef broth, soy sauce, and sirachi. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into remaining 1/2 cup beef broth. Stir cornstarch mixture into simmering sauce. Return to a simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until sauce thickens.Toss beef in sauce and serve.

Serves 8: calories=329 fat=16 protein=19 fiber=0 sugar=16

Kung Pao Spaghetti
    KUNG PAO SAUCE
    1 cup fat free chicken broth
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3/4 cup light soy sauce
    3 tablespoons red chili paste with garlic
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

EGG WHITE-CORNSTARCH MIXTURE
    2 egg whites
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt

PASTA
    14 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
    1/2 cup olive oil, plus
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in small pieces
    1-2 Tbl. sirachi hot sauce
    2/3 cup cocktail peanuts
    1/4 cup minced garlic

To Make the Kung Pao Sauce:. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the chicken stock and cornstarch until the cornstarch is fully dissolved. Stir
    in all the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.

To Make Egg White-Cornstarch Mixture:

In a mixing bowl, use a whisk to stir together the egg whites, cornstarch, and salt until thoroughly blended; be careful not to beat them into a froth.
    Set aside.

To Prepare the Pasta:.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat, heat the olive oil for about 1 minute. Add the chicken pieces to the Egg White-Cornstarch
    Mixture and toss to coat them. Taking care to avoid splattering, add the coated chicken to the pan and cook like a solid pancake until the egg
    mixture sets; then, using a large spatula, carefully flip the chicken pieces over together and, with a wooden spoon, gently separate the pieces.

Gently stir the sirachi hot sauce and peanuts into the pan. As soon as
    they darken in color, after no more than 1 minute, stir in the garlic. Once the garlic begins to brown, after no more than 30 seconds,
    add the Kung Pao Sauce and toss and stir to coat the ingredients.

When the pasta is ready, drain it well and, in a large mixing or serving
    bowl, toss it thoroughly with the sauce.

Serves 12 calories=375 fat=21 protein=16 fiber=4 sugar=8
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Umm, most Chinese people don't actually eat what Americans think of as Chinese food. Sort of like American home cooking didn't used to resemble fast food. Americanized Chinese food is, in general, really unhealthy.

This.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Noob here. Does clean just mean healthy?

And I had my Chinese friend make me food-- nothing like in the restaurants. Haha.
  • carriereid24
    Options
    Thanks, JncHorn! I look forward to trying them. A healthier version of take out is great to have on hand. Thanks again.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Pad Thai. I've thought about making it myself. After seeing the ingredient list I'm going to stick to take out.

I'm not much of a cook.
  • rickdmorris
    Options
    I like this recipe, but one thing, the rice noodles do not need to sit in water that long, I buy the fresh noodles in the cooler case at the Asian store, these only need to sit in hot water for about 5 seconds, then taken out, if they will sit for any length of time, need to run cold water over them so they do not stick.
    Thanks for posting the recipe.

Rick
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Carrie

IDEA Fitness member

HOW IS UNPROCESSED FOOD IN IT'S NATURAL STATE NOT THE REAL THING?
    I CALL B.S.
    THANKS FOR STOPPING BY :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Carrie

IDEA Fitness member

I CALL B.S.

I think he just meant if you're using all natural and unprocessed, healthy ingredients that doesn't = Pad Thai. I don't think he was saying that unprocessed foods are not the real thing.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Carrie

IDEA Fitness member

I CALL B.S.

I think he just meant if you're using all natural and unprocessed, healthy ingredients that doesn't = Pad Thai. I don't think he was saying that unprocessed foods are not the real thing.

WHEW... OK LOL. I TOTALLY MISREAD THAT.