Salmon...why are the calories so high?

Options
ok so i have been logging my calories for a 3 oz portion of salmon on my fitness pal and the calories vary so much.....i thought there were like 135 calories in 1 serving but it is more like 200.......very surprised at this.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Very healthy fats and omega 3s!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's worth it for all the goodness and nommyness it provides :happy:
  • KoriS
    KoriS Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Salmon is high in fat (11 gms compared to 4 grams in the same size serving of chicken breast). But don't let that stop you, it is HEALTHY FAT and high in omega 3s which are good for your heart, cholesterol, and actually can help your weight loss efforts! It's the unhealthy trans-fats you want to avoid. Salmon is amazing for you so enjoy, no guilt!
  • martin1376
    Options
    Also depends on the type of Salmon that you're eating. If it's the preseasoned or pre-marinated kind that you would buy in the freezer section the calories will be higher. Additionally, depending on what site you look at you will get different answers. on Livestrong.com, 3 oz. of grilled Atlantic salmon is 175 calories.

And to echo Melsinct below - it's all good fats so enjoy it :wink:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Because it's an oily fish.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a fatty fish (very good for you though). Fat has about 9 calories per gram, where as carbs and protein have about 4 calories per gram.....so the higher the fat in a food the higher calories. DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE FAT! :flowerforyou:
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great info....lovin on the salmon...LOL
  • phdvox
    phdvox Posts: 2
    Options
    This was very helpful for me also. Thanks everyone for your input!! :flowerforyou: