Too much protein

Options
Hello, I am fairly new to this and my daily requirements seem to be off to me. I always thought it was better to have more protein than carbs. By lunch my allotment for protein is in the red, while I have quite a few carbs left. I don't know if I can reset daily requirements. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Ive read alot on here about proteine being too low and I agree, you can reset your daily limits if you want to, I dont bother I just ignore when my protienes go in the red, as long as nothing else does I personally feel its fine. I do try to keep my calories as close to 1200 as possible. I dont worry so much about the fiber either, if it goes red so be it.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Depends, its a bit of an odd one as you need protein for muscle growth plus it fills you for longer but you should monitor it really as you can't just live on protein i dont consider it healthy. However if you are 'cutting' you only really eat carbs in the morning in bulk, then through the day you eat less and less then about one third as much as carbs in the evening i.e. 10gm carbs to 30gm of protein as a pure example as thats a really tiny meal!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You can change your macro percentages. I think the default for protein is low, personally, so I put mine at 40c, 30f, 30p and it works MUCH better.
  • Kateinprogress
    Options
    I generally just ignore the protein limits on MFP. I feel better (stronger, more energy, fuller) having 70+ grams of protein per day. As long as it's lean protein I don't think it's an issue and I've heard a LOT of people saying the protein numbers on here are too low!
  • RobinLoren
    Options
    I also feel that it is too low. When I eat tuna (which I love) it almost always sends me into the red and it is one meal! Even eating a piece of lean chicken tends to send me into the red. I just ignore it and move on, I would rather have the protein in the red then sugar or carbs...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The protein suggestion on this site is very low. If you would like to change it, go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals.
  • Laureenmca
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding! I appreciate your help.