Hula Hooping ...

Options
Anyone any good at hooping, I bought one a while back I can keep it up now but i can do anything exciting like turn around! lol ... I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah if your goal is to lose weight and look great throw away the hula hoop and french fries and pick up some squats and oats.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I really thought there was going to be an image with this one...
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    my mom said that she has heard of using a weighted hula hoop and it really helps tone your abs. sounds reasonable to me. maybe i need a hula hoop now that i think about it :)
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I hoop almost every day I have been since March!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! Send me a friends request!!! HOOPING IS AMAZING!!!!
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah if your goal is to lose weight and look great throw away the hula hoop and french fries and pick up some squats and oats.

and FYI I lost 40 lbs using hooping as my ONLY exercise
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping and really enjoy it! I dropped inches in my waist when I picked it up. Keep it up! It's great exercise and fun. If you enjoy it, you are more likely to do it - the most effective exercise is the one you DO!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Practice, practice, practice.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't, but there was a woman in the gym the other day using one of the studios and she had a hula hoop and she was doing all kinds of crazy stuff with it. I didn't realize people even used them for fitness, but hey, why not?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    my mom said that she has heard of using a weighted hula hoop and it really helps tone your abs. sounds reasonable to me. maybe i need a hula hoop now that i think about it :)

Sorry to let you know butt...Its impossible to "tone" any muscle, toning is a myth.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't be an effective exercise? It seems like it would be good for the core.

I'm all for having variety in your workouts. If I had a hoop and a space big enough to use it, I'd go for it!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....you asked for tips lol. I have added hand weights. It definitely helps get the heart rate up there just to keep your arms up over your head, and adding weights increases the HR and strengthens the upper body muscles. Different stances also help - half side lunges, half front lunges; feet together/feet hip width apart; feet at horse stance; knees bent and pelvis tucked are all good for working different muscles. I hoop a minimum of 10 minutes to the left and 10 minutes to the right.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

You tell him, Girl!
  • LauraRose03
    Options

Nice!!!! I have heard it is good exercise. If you imagine it without the hoop, it's basically belly dancing!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My gym has a hooping and stretching class. Keep it up. Practice a lot I used to be able to do two around my waist(when I had one at age 18) and one on each arm and one on an ankle and one around my knee on the supporting leg. I weighed about 100 pounds.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been hooping for several months and LOVE it. My BF suggested it after he saw an article on yahoo about a naked hula hooper losing weight. I use a weighted hoop that I made using supplies from Lowes. Hooping.org has some great tutorial videos if you want to do tricks. I am just sticking to around the waist but I can turn around and walk. I am ordering a travel hoop and dvd from Hoopnotica for my Birthday so I can learn to dance while hooping. Good luck and feel free to add me if you need hooping friends.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    wow... that sounds like a lot of concentrating
    My gym has a hooping and stretching class. Keep it up. Practice a lot I used to be able to do two around my waist(when I had one at age 18) and one on each arm and one on an ankle and one around my knee on the supporting leg. I weighed about 100 pounds.
  • brooke4fitness
    brooke4fitness Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the hula hoop too. It's a fun exercise to do indoors when you live somewhere cold. It's not my main exercise, but one of many things that I do for variety.

It's funny how some people feel strongly against an exercise just because they can't do it. Anything you do that gets your blood pumping is good, including dancing and hula hooping. It's nice to get fit AND have fun.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Mr Oats, should I also eat a bacon double Cheese burger as you did --- lol
    BUSTED! I read your diary Mr perfect - :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, hula hooping is GREAT!
    And anybody with anything negative to say should post his video engaged in the activity for 30 minutes straight.

Bet you can't - lol
    But if you can, I'll buy the next round of Bacon Double Cheeseburgers - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Love to hoop!! <3 Really tones you up. Last summer I hooped pretty much every day, and went to hoop classes for an hour, probably 2-3 times a week. What a workout :)
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    you seem like a know it all...

Sorry to let you know butt...Its impossible to "tone" any muscle, toning is a myth.