Confused about all the sugar alternatives out there!

Aspartame, Splenda, Stevia, Agave, honey or should I just stick with plain old sugar?? There are quite a few options out there and I am not sure which ones to use and which ones to avoid. I am not a big sugar junkie, but I like honey in my tea, sugar in my coffee and have now collected a few low cal dessert recipies that use Splenda. I know aspartame is not good for you and HATE buying foods with it, but it tends to be in most low cal options (yogurt, Jello, pop etc).

What to do ... I mean eat?????

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Yikes. You're going to get answers ranging from OMG artificial sweeteners are the evilest thing ever!!!!!!!!!! to OMG sugars are the evilest thing ever!!!!!! to eat whatever you want!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the eat whatever you want category :D I've done my homework (you can too! At http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed ) and I'm convinced that artificial sweeteners are safe, including the dreaded Asparatame. For ever scary article that says asparatame causes cancer, increased appetite, insulin spikes, etc., there are half a dozen articles that refute those claims. Same goes for the other sweeteners. Personally, I prefer the taste of Splenda and use it in my tea when I have tea. I've never tried Stevia. I've never tried Agave.

I also think sugar and honey are perfectly fine if used in moderation and I occasionally put sugar in my tea. They pack a lot of calories. Too much will put you over your calorie limit. Other than that... they just aren't a problem.

Good luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Aspartame, Splenda, Stevia, Agave, honey or should I just stick with plain old sugar?? There are quite a few options out there and I am not sure which ones to use and which ones to avoid. I am not a big sugar junkie, but I like honey in my tea, sugar in my coffee and have now collected a few low cal dessert recipies that use Splenda. I know aspartame is not good for you and HATE buying foods with it, but it tends to be in most low cal options (yogurt, Jello, pop etc).

What to do ... I mean eat?????
    If man makes it, don't eat it.
    That should end the confusion.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Eat whatever you want!! In moderation, as part of a well rounded diet. BOOM, you're gonna be okay.
  • Lady_Senie
    Lady_Senie Posts: 100 Member
    Agreed. It's all about personal preference in the end. I personally use Splenda 'cause:

1. It tastes like sugar
    2. It doesn't have that weird aspartame aftertaste
    3. The bags are lighter than sugar bags

Do what you gotta go, hon ^_^
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I avoid any and all artificial sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup. I think they mess up the connection between sweetness and satiety.

I use sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup (100% real only), and honey (real local stuff), primarily in baking and on my oatmeal.

Artificial sweeteners in moderation are probably safe -- but if everything you consume is made with artificial sweeteners, that is probably too much.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    I personally, use Splenda. It tastes like sugar to me. I've used it in baking and nobody in my family notices a difference.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    It really depends on you and your diet :) My trainer says a little stevia in baking or in greek yogurt is ok but my natropath would tell you to avoid all of it unless it is from fruits. Stevia isn't digested so its not going to act like sugar for weight loss but then you are introducing something fake into your body. I just cut them all out all together and eat fruit when I have a craving.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    My opinion, and it's MY opinion only.......I do not like the taste of ANY sugar substitutes. They all leave an icky aftertaste, and I've tried 'em all.............so, I stick with real sugar, and try to keep it within reason. I'm not diabetic, so have no reason to avoid sugar.......except for the calories, of course ;)

I am of the mind that REAL food, whenever possible, is the way to go. I don't like putting chemicals in my body - God didn't make it work like that, and we get so many weird things in our food nowdays. I'm not obsessive about it all, but just do my best to eat healthy, make good decisions, and live my life!

So, do what works for you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • f8thwks
    f8thwks Posts: 11 Member
    Hey... Thanks for the Website... I was concerned about Splenda myself... Now, I can do my own research....
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Yikes. You're going to get answers ranging from OMG artificial sweeteners are the evilest thing ever!!!!!!!!!! to OMG sugars are the evilest thing ever!!!!!! to eat whatever you want!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the eat whatever you want category :D I've done my homework (you can too! At http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed ) and I'm convinced that artificial sweeteners are safe, including the dreaded Asparatame. For ever scary article that says asparatame causes cancer, increased appetite, insulin spikes, etc., there are half a dozen articles that refute those claims. Same goes for the other sweeteners. Personally, I prefer the taste of Splenda and use it in my tea when I have tea. I've never tried Stevia. I've never tried Agave.

I also think sugar and honey are perfectly fine if used in moderation and I occasionally put sugar in my tea. They pack a lot of calories. Too much will put you over your calorie limit. Other than that... they just aren't a problem.

Good luck!

I will join this category too. I like splenda because it doesn't have the same wierd aftertaste some of the others have, IMHO. But I am not worried about using sugar or anything else. Everything in moderation indeed.
  • I have tried most of the sweeteners and although they are alternatives it is my personal thoughts and opinion that if it is made in a lab I don't need to eat it. But you do what you feel is right for you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I'm working towards simply not sweetening things. Eat them in their natural state unless they are specifically intended to be sweet (ie: desserts), then I eat regular sugar. I just try to indulge sparingly.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    I suggest watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUo2XW0z218&feature=player_profilepage

I personally CAN'T have any of the sugars that aren't sugar or honey...SOMETIMES I can have maple syrup...because I have IBS and anything that isn't sugar really upsets my stomach.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    As a diabetic, I use splenda if I really need a sweetness to a tea or breakfast cereal... but it's something I'm trying to get away from. The fact that Splenda was originally developed as an insecticide doesn't really give me great confidence in its health benefits lol.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    As a diabetic, I use splenda if I really need a sweetness to a tea or breakfast cereal... but it's something I'm trying to get away from. The fact that Splenda was originally developed as an insecticide doesn't really give me great confidence in its health benefits lol.

:/ Can you actually back that claim up? That it was developed as an insecticide?

Splenda is just the racimer of sugar. Molecules are chiral, which is sometimes called 'handed' in science. The bonds can form in different orientations, but the molecules still have identical chemical formulas. The human body can usually use only one orientation- in the case of sucrose, we can only use L-sucrose and not D-sucrose. Splenda is D-sucrose (or maybe I've got that mixed up and splenda is L-sucrose but we can only use D? I'm too lazy to check). Anyway, point is, I doubt splenda is toxic to insects. Chiral molecules exist in nature.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Here are some facts.
    Stevia is actually made from the stevia plant, like sugar is mad from sugar cane.
    Stevia is lower calorie.
    Agave nectar is healthy for you.
    Raw, locally made honey has even more health benefits.
    I use all 3. Stevia in coffee, a bit of agave on waffles or pancakes, honey on breads...
    I think if you're going to use sugar, I'd go with organic to escape all the chemicals.
    Obviously all the fake stuff is not good for your body.

From there you can choose what you want to do. :)
  • errat
    errat Posts: 1

Splenda is just the racimer of sugar. Molecules are chiral, which is sometimes called 'handed' in science. The bonds can form in different orientations, but the molecules still have identical chemical formulas. The human body can usually use only one orientation- in the case of sucrose, we can only use L-sucrose and not D-sucrose. Splenda is D-sucrose (or maybe I've got that mixed up and splenda is L-sucrose but we can only use D? I'm too lazy to check). Anyway, point is, I doubt splenda is toxic to insects. Chiral molecules exist in nature.

Actually, it's not. Splenda is sucralose, which is a completely different molecule that sucrose.

Molecular formula for sucralose: C12H19Cl3O8

Molecular formula for sucrose: C12H22O11

The ads for Splenda said made from sugar because sucralose is made by chlorinating sucrose.
    They're not isomers, they are completely different molecules.
  • Splenda, Stevia and the like are for diabetics. i get it, if you can't have sugar, fine use whichever tastes best to you. Local raw honey will help desensitize you to allergies so, that's a good thing, plus it has propolis and other good things in it. Refined sugar has it's place, it's sweet and no other flavors so, sometimes you need that to make a dish taste right. I personally like raw sugar for coffee, white for cooking and baking (unless brown is called for, then i prefer the extra flavor of dark brown.

Any of the natural sources are fine, just don't go nuts. I just make sure I don't use any sweetener other than my coffee unless it's a special, once a month desert I'm doing or a celebration meal. So a 5 lb sack of sugar lasts me about 3 months and a quart of honey six months. Seems more sensible to do that than use chemical and artificial substitutes just so i can have more sweet taste where i don't really need it - eat fruit, it's sweet.