Eating out

Options
Hi, I was just wondering...
My uncle is coming down this weekend and he and my dad want us to all go to dinner. The problem is, there's no plan for WHERE to go, or even what type of restaurant to go to. I've tried, but to no avail- we're going to "play it by ear". So, I was wondering how many calories to leave for dinner? I have work that day, so can't run too low, but I don't want my daily total to go too high either. Just wondering how to plan this :grumble:
Many thanks

Replies

• TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was just wondering...
    My uncle is coming down this weekend and he and my dad want us to all go to dinner. The problem is, there's no plan for WHERE to go, or even what type of restaurant to go to. I've tried, but to no avail- we're going to "play it by ear". So, I was wondering how many calories to leave for dinner? I have work that day, so can't run too low, but I don't want my daily total to go too high either. Just wondering how to plan this :grumble:
    Many thanks
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    Eating out is so hard. The portions are so large that they serve you. I either try to split a meal with someone (Usually my Daughter) or I order something that I can eat for lunch the next day and it will still taste good. As for how many calorie to save for a dinner I really don't know I usually eat about 300 to 400 when I go out to eat. I would also recommend that you drink water to keep the calories down.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    because the portions are sooooo huge that they give you (no wonder why americans are obese) as soon as you get your food half it up and put half of it in a to go box- by the time it is dinner time for me I usually have 500- 600 calories just remember that depending on whatever your order to drink is calories as well- Don't stress it too much just enjoy yourself and remember portion control and moderation
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Try to plan the most bang for your buck for breakfast and lunch. Eat as much low calorie foods to fill you up so you aren't starving. Plan this ahead- so you are prepared on the day and know exactly what you're going to eat. Then you'll have an idea of how many calories you'll have saved for dinner. Don't stress about it too much- if you go over a little- it's not the end of the world. Just dont go to dinner and get lots of pasta or a bunch of fried food with a banana split for dessert =)

Kraabel said a good thing too- split a meal with someone- else just eat half of your meal and save the rest for tomorrow. I'm thinking if you plan breakfast and lunch ahead- you'll have plenty of calories.
    You could also plan a cheat sheet- for example if you go to Chinese- you will know that 1 cup of fried rice is 300+ calories- so you'd want to steer clear of friend rice. =) Are there a lot of local restaraunts you could end up going to? Try looking at different restaraunts menus online and figuring out calories. Usually bigger companies that are chains (like applebees etc.. ) have "healthy" meals with lower calories (some of them have a weight watchers menu)... then you can plan ahead too so you know ok, if we go to XYZ restaraunt I should get this.... or if we end up at DFG resaurant i will get this... otherwise just have some staples listed--- so for example you know what a baked potato is- most places serve baked potatoes, salads, grilled chicken breasts etc.... then you have SOME close idea of where you are with calories based on what foods you can choose from on the menu!

Have fun and enjoy eating out!
  • PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    I ALWAYS ask for a box BEFORE I put one bite in my mouth. I take 2/3 of the food off my plate and put in in the box for lunch tomorrow. I eat the 1/3 portion. I would save about 400 cals for your meal. But, that really depends on where you eat and what you order. If it's something really rich, it could be up to 500 cals.

-Pixie
  • chandhole
    chandhole Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm eating out tonight.

The difference is I know where I'm going. So I've looked at the menu on-line and planned what I'm going to eat and then made a best guess at the ingredients for my food diary. It's a bit tedious but helpful in our situations and I don't eat out a lot so I don't mind it. If you're lucky, you find a place that knows and shares their nutrition info.

If I can get a meal that shows +\- 100 cals of what I'm allowed then I choose that. It's not an exact science since the measurements and even the ingredients are approximate. Meat is helpful b/c they usually say 10oz steak or inch thick pork chop, etc. Pasta you can guess at how many cups, maybe even look at a cup of dry pasta before you go to get the visual. Again, some work involved, but like they say, LOOSING WEIGHT IS NOT EASY.:noway:
  • ohsuzanna1968
    Options
    As the only overweight person in my family, I face the same dilemma every time my family wants to eat out. Personally I hate eating out. There few healthy options, the portions are huge and the food is overpriced (in my opinion) My dad used to work as a restaurant manager for Denny's many years ago and he told me almost everything you order in a typical chain restaurant contains massive amounts of oil, butter or margerine in order to make the food more appetizing. These hidden calories no doubt contributed to my 60 lb weight gain over the past several years, and for this reason I have sworn off eating in a restaurant altogether. Usually I just eat a healthy high-protein meal beforehand and order nothing but unsweetened iced tea or coffee so I have something to sip on. Appetite suppressants also help a lot when eating out. Hope this helps!
  • TudorRose
    Options
    Thanks guys. My dad knows I'm on a diet- but he's been know to both support and sabotage at the same time. I'm notoriously fussy anyway, and since a kid have always ordered things without cheese/sauce/dip, etc. So I can get away with that no problem. It just bugs me having no clue where we're going. We don't do taking food home over here, but that doesn't mean I can't leave some on the plate. I'm going to attempt to go for a plain meat portion and some veggies and just pray my dad picks a good place. (My family also have this annoying habit of chosing places without an online calorie guide or menu. Very lovely places, but a right pain for food choices.)
  • PixieFire
    Options
    You don't do taking food home here? Where are you? Well, just be very careful of your portion. A serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards.

-Pixie
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    Good Luck and enjoy being with your family.
  • TudorRose
    Options
    I'm in England. You either finish your food or leave it. Seems wasteful to me. I've planned food for the day and am left with 500- 650 calories for dinner. Thanks guys:smile:
  • PixieFire
    Options
    So, here in the U.S. portions are OUT OF CONTROL. Usually 3 times bigger than what anyone should be eating in one meal. Is it the same in England or are they more reasonable?

-Pixie
  • TudorRose
    Options
    It depends. A lot of high end restaurants will serve a miniscule portion and charge a bomb for it. :laugh: Most will overfeed you though, to an extreme. :grumble:
    Why does my dad only ever take me to eat when I'm on a diet? He's lost loads of weight lately, but by walking about 15 miles a day on about 500 calories but taking weekends off. So his attitude is slightly skewed when it comes to food. It won't be a comfortable meal for me anyway
  • jude0
    jude0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Not to worry. Most every restaurant will have salad and dressing on the side. When in doubt, that's what I order. I just measure out my dressing with my smallest spoon since I've no idea how many calories may be in it. I also ask for lemon because I like lemon juice on my salad as well.. Hope that helps.