Potatoes...bad?

Options

Replies

• branflake5
    Options
    Potatoes are okay to eat obviously as others have said you can't load them up with butter and sour cream. I have a great recipe for baked potato wedges that is low fat low cal easy and delicious. Message me if you want the recipe.

Also I have been told sweet potatoes are good for you too, I don't like them but just a thought for you.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

MYTH:A High Carbohydrate Diet Leads to Chronically High Insulin Levels

FACT:Insulin Is Only Elevated During the Time After a Meal In Healthy Individuals

I agree. The only weight loss benefit to eating low GI is that the foods may keep you _slightly_ more full than high GI alternatives. Of course having some protein with your carbs will keep you a lot more full. Potatoes are a great food :)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Potatoes = good. :bigsmile: They are a fun base for a meal and more filling than pasta or rice.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are GOOD FOR YOU! If you like them, then eat them!

http://www.nashvillenutritionexpert.com/node/115
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Potatos are fantastic and delicious, they bring minerals out of the earth to your body that you need to be healthy and feel good. Butter, Sour cream, cheese, tons of table salt bacon, bacon bits, brown sugar which are often poured all over potatos are not so good. Eat the potato with the least amount of these toppings neded to add the flavor you are looking for... or try yukon yellow, orange sweet, red garnet, or other 'exotic' potatos and yams without any of that stuff on it... and add basil, dill, pepper, oregeno, or salsa, as a topping instead and suprise yourself with how delicious a new way of eating this root vegetable can be.

Potatos are healthy. Your blood sugar spikes after eating. everytime. Never ever heard of someone having bad health from eating the mythical dangerous starchy vegetables Potato, rice, or corn. Its the crap that is poured on top of these foods or deep frying them in buckets of fryer oil that is bad for their health.

Eat a variety of vegetables, and eat them often and you will get all the energy you need.
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Potatoes = my tummy
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    Another potato lover here! I'm all about moderation LOL.

An interesting recent study from New Zealand which specifically mentions potatoes and GI.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago025418.html
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You have to do what you think is best for you. I decided from day 1 that I would not cut any food out completely. I had done this multiple times in the past with little to no long term success. I do however try to cook them a little differently. I still make mashed potatoes but I use little to no butter. I use a potato and cut it into wedges and bake them to make fries when I really feel the need for fries. I use a lot of spices to make them have some pizzazz.
  • Shyrabbit
    Options
    potatos in their skin are extremely good for us. Until we add butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, well you get the picture. As long as we moderate the customization to sane levels they remain very good for us. And there are soooo many varieties ( can you tell i like taters)

you just made me want loaded mashed potatoes sooooo bad right now lol:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them because they are a high glycemIc food. Meaning after you eat them you will experience a spike in your sugar levels causing your body to release large amounts of insulin and as a result your body will go into fat storing mode. So ultimately slowing your weight loss.

It is explained very well in this video
    http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing?food=avocado

::SIGH::

First protein is also insulinogenic, would you advise people not eat protein?

Look at table 4 and pay attention to the protein rich foods and their insulin AUC. Compare beef and fish to lets say pasta

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf

Also if your statement is true, we'd see low GI diets have an advantage in weight/fat loss, correct? However;

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: If I eat them... I log them...they are super with fat free greek yogurt, butter spray, lite salt and extra pepper...yummmo:tongue: I also microwave them, slice them up with butter spray or a light drizzle of olive oil, parsley and garlic powder...soooo good!!! orrrrrr cut into wedges, spray with any flavor pam and season, bake and eat like a french fry...hellloooo! I deff love my taters!!!:heart:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. I couldn't eliminate them from my diet. I just seriously couldn't do it. Yesterday my breakfast consisted of fried potatoes, steak, over medium eggs and corn tortillas...and my dinner was a half chicken breast, 1 cup mashed potatoes and a salad. (I don't eat them twice per day every single day, but they are on the menu at least once most days.) Love, love LOVE potatoes.
  • LastChanceForMe
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the potato, it is all the stuff you put on it. And of course, the size of the potato. Just get a small or medium and enjoy :smile:
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    :ohwell: If I eat them... I log them...they are super with fat free greek yogurt, butter spray, lite salt and extra pepper...yummmo:tongue: I also microwave them, slice them up with butter spray or a light drizzle of olive oil, parsley and garlic powder...soooo good!!! orrrrrr cut into wedges, spray with any flavor pam and season, bake and eat like a french fry...hellloooo! I deff love my taters!!!:heart:

I love these ideas!! Thank you! :D Yummm
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat them about 3 times a week - too yummy to give up! x
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    FWIW -- I'm diabetic and I still eat potatoes (and bread, pasta and rice). In moderation, none of these foods have had an adverse effect on my diabetes or my weight loss for that matter. The key word there is moderation. I usually choose a small potato instead of the traditional giant size baking potato. If I order a baked potato in a restaurant and it's huge, I will eat half and take the other half home. Gorging yourself on any food will cause weight gain or other health issues. In a healthy amount, most food in its natural state is good for you

And if you want a topping for your baked potato, try salsa. Delicious, few calories and no fat.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    if i am in diet mode i eat plain baked white or sweet potatos.. i dont even bother putting anything on it because im addicted to butter and cant have just one pat. sweet potatos are very good for you and im inclined to go for nutrition over anything else when i eat.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I realize I made a mistake in my post and put 455 but I mean theres 355 cals in a dressed baked potato from outback steakhouse (311 without butter according to their website). I'm going there in a bit to get one! this thread made me want one last night lol
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Potatoes = Good
    Pumpkin/Squash = Great
    Sweet Potato = Super Awesome!

I used to love potato, but since getting a taste of the sweet stuff, it just seems second rate... my personal opinion though. Its just a shame regular potato is about 1/5th of the cost of sweet potato :(
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The potato I just had with dinner was SO good! I love me some potatoes.