Exercsing on the 2nd Floor

Options
We live on the 2nd floor. Our neighbor has already told us we make a lot of noise when we walk (and she didn't say it very nicely). Anyway, I want to workout tomorrow doing an exercise DVD that includes a lot of jumping.

What time is appropriate to do this on a Saturday/Sunday morning?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you might want to consider talking to your neighbor and see when would be the best times - advise them that you are trying to be considerate, but that for your own health this is something that must be done. Might help make things better!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, though my neighbors have never mentioned anything. It's tough, because everyone's schedules are different and also vary on a day-to-day basis.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, unless you want to wake the people up, I wouldn't do it anywhere from 930pm-7am. It's a bummer they live under you. Tough nibblets. :-/
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    it all depends on ur nieghbors schedual but i would say any time between 11:30am - 5:30pm should be fine most people are up by then so u shouldn't be waking her up and i would leave a note for her to let her know that u will be exercising for ( what ever time ) form ?-? and if she doesn't like it she will have ample time to leave her house for that time period...
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I think between 10am and 8pm you can make as much noise as you'd like...but do think that if you feel comfortable enough, you should mention to neighbor that you're trying to get healthy and going to be working out at home. You pay to live in your home and should live your life!
  • ThisMusicalMiss
    Options
    I live on the second floor of an apartment and here's my mentality:

You chose the first floor, knowing someone would be living ABOVE you.
    There are at least 8 people living in one building, but most likely there are more than that.
    Some people (like THIS lady right here =D) have playful pets.
    If you were looking for peace and quiet, you might have thought about these factors before you moved in!

With that said, I tend to think that 10AM to 7PM/8PM are reasonable times for there to be sound/noise.
    I zumba, dance, jump around my apartment during those times quite often. Plus, my BIG chihuahua is constantly running around and jumping off furniture.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If she can hear you; can you also hear her? I live upstairs and can hear the kids downstairs running around. If I hear noises down there then I assume I can make noise too. I usually try to keep it down after 9pm. I don't exercise in the morning though :indifferent:
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other commenters... as long as you're exercising mid-day, you should be good! and it's very polite if you give your neighbour a heads up beforehand.

i live on the fifth floor. the neighbours below me constantly scream at or beat their young toddler in the middle of the night. their shouting and his crying wakes me up at 1 ~ 2am every single day. as a result, i have become accostomed to not caring whether i am noisy exercising or not.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    i agree with the other commenters... as long as you're exercising mid-day, you should be good! and it's very polite if you give your neighbour a heads up beforehand.

i live on the fifth floor. the neighbours below me constantly scream at or beat their young toddler in the middle of the night. their shouting and his crying wakes me up at 1 ~ 2am every single day. as a result, i have become accostomed to not caring whether i am noisy exercising or not.
    THis concerns me a little. If there is a child being abused, you should report it. I don't particularly like the state or dhhs but if it's at 2am that's in sane. If you don't report it no one else will and it could save the child's life.
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I live on the second floor of an apartment and here's my mentality:

You chose the first floor, knowing someone would be living ABOVE you.
    There are at least 8 people living in one building, but most likely there are more than that.
    Some people (like THIS lady right here =D) have playful pets.
    If you were looking for peace and quiet, you might have thought about these factors before you moved in!

With that said, I tend to think that 10AM to 7PM/8PM are reasonable times for there to be sound/noise.
    I zumba, dance, jump around my apartment during those times quite often. Plus, my BIG chihuahua is constantly running around and jumping off furniture.

Exacrltly, i have every right to live my life during decent hours. If its before 8 i usually check to see if my downstsirs neighbor is home, then proceed on. Plus now my new neighbor is younger so they dont seem to mind..
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

THis concerns me a little. If there is a child being abused, you should report it. I don't particularly like the state or dhhs but if it's at 2am that's in sane. If you don't report it no one else will and it could save the child's life.

i think i just :noway: and WTF call the COPS!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eh,,,if she wasn't very nice I'd say about 1-2am, should work! :wink:
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who suggested asking your neighbor when the best times would be.

Simply assuming that 10am to 7pm is appropriate is not being considerate. What if they work the graveyard? I used to, and that was prime sleep time for me. I would have asked if you could do it at 5am, that's when I was usually eating "dinner" and would have had my TV on.

You might also invite her over for dinner sometime. Good neighbors don't just happen - they are relationships that you form.
  • lalavogl
    Options
    We have this issue as well! We live upstairs and my husband does p90x before he works every morning. Our neighbor has reported us to our office managers and is just very unpleasant to us. She came upstairs one morning and yelled at my husband. It is very frustrating!!! He is just trying to better his health......I can't wait to get our house!!! ugh!