I bought an eggplant... now what?

Options

Replies

• MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My New Year's resolution was to try 5 new things throughout the year. So, I'm trying a new food: eggplant. I have no idea what to do with it. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions?

Happy New Year!! :)

what else have you tried new? i love ideas im trying pan sired tilapia but now butter or oil we are using lemon juice.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I :heart: eggplant, seriously. You can do so, so, so much with it. Cut it first and sprinkle it with salt and let it sit or soak it in salt water for about 30 minutes (until brown liquid comes out), it will make it cook better, quicker, and be less bitter at the end.

Then, anything.

I like to do eggplant sandwiches. Roast the eggplant with a little olive oil, then put hummus on top (I'm guessing you wouldn't even need the bread for this). Or, prepare it the same way and combine it with a little tahini and feta cheese. Or with some tomatoes and onions and italian seasonings.

Or, you could put it in a stew (http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-georgian-eggplant) with some onions, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Top with parsley and/or cilantro. You can add various spice combinations to that, cumin, cayenne and oregano (mexican), cumin, coriander, cayenne and cinnamon (morroccan).

My dad also roasts them whole in the oven, then puts them with plain, unsweetened yogurt, and spices.

All healthy recipes, and about the tastiest things in the world.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    bump for later...I love eggplant!!
  • AvocadoPit
    AvocadoPit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned moussaka!

Moussaka is great! It's greek I think and is made with tomato sauce and TVP (or minced meat for you omnivores out there) but based on eggplant.

Oh, and there are some great ideas for how to cook eggplant in this thread. Thanks everyone!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
    my daughter and I have decided to try eggplant and I appreciate the ideas!!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Try baba ganoush, a lebanese dip:

- Roast the aubergine, a sliced onion and 3 garlic cloves with a tbsp olive oil until the aubergine is cooked and the onion is caramelised.

- Scrape the flesh out of the skin and blend it with the oil, onion and garlic.

- Season with salt, tahini, ground cumin, lemon juice to taste.

Calories: about 2 per gram - but you can work out your own for accuracy :)

Yum! Love Baba ganoush! Thanks for the recipe!
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I chop mine into cubes and saute it with some chopped red onion, garlic, olive oil, and rice wine vinegar until the eggplant is cooked. I love it cold!
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of things you can do with eggplant!!! eggplant parmasaen, eggplant cannolini, moussaka, mexican eggplant, plain ol season eggplant "steaks".... oh the possibilities are endless :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Re your question on the babaganoush - just roast them whole.....

I use it as a filler with mince meat, vegetables to "bulk" things up....

Same as with the babaganoush - prick the skin a few times - and roast the whole eggplant till nice and soft (depending on size about 20 mins should do it)

Peel and use the flesh (chopped up) with any other vegetables, meat to make a sauce, stew - because it is mild it is very easy to disguise for kids, or people that does not like vegetables....

Here is one example of how you can extend your meat - and get more "bang for your buck":

Lemon Herb Meatballs

1lb pork tenderloin (minced) - you can also use turkey
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    grated zest of one lemon
    1 tbsp each chopped fresh coriander, parsley and mint
    1tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground paprika
    several dashes Tabasco sauce
    good pinch chilli powder (to taste)
    Two 6oz Aubergines (eggplant) roasted, peeled and chopped
    salt and pepper

1) In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients. Fry a tiny piece of the mixture to check for taste, and add more seasoning as you want (I like spicy, so normal add a bit more bite :-) )

2) Form the mixture into small patties and place on a platter
    3) Spray pan with some EVO spray (or lightly oil)
    4) Pan fry the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are well browned and just cooked through....repeat until all paties done ....
    5) Enjoy :-)

Makes 6 Servings

Per serving 287 calories
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is better if you sweat it first. Cut it up then sprinkle with salt. Let sit for thirty minutes then rinse to remove salt. Then prepare as normal

I've found this isn't really necessary. I always used to do it and because of the time involved I rarely ate it (I like meals that don't require prep a long time in advance). But I made a baked eggplant parmesan from a recipe I found on marthastewart.com which didn't require sweating it first and it tasted great. It wasn't bitter at all and my toddlers loved it.
  • MonicaLee1982
    MonicaLee1982 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Thanks!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Wonderful ideas - thank you
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Moussaka! I am making one in the week nom nom :)
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    D: Throw it away! Bleh, I hate those things. Lol. :)

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! :laugh:
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is better if you sweat it first. Cut it up then sprinkle with salt. Let sit for thirty minutes then rinse to remove salt. Then prepare as normal

I've found this isn't really necessary. I always used to do it and because of the time involved I rarely ate it (I like meals that don't require prep a long time in advance). But I made a baked eggplant parmesan from a recipe I found on marthastewart.com which didn't require sweating it first and it tasted great. It wasn't bitter at all and my toddlers loved it.

Years ago, eggplants used to be quite bitter and required salting. Today, eggplants have been bred to be far less bitter, so they do not require salting. Salting is not a bad idea, however, if you plan to fry the eggplant. Eggplants can really soak up oil, and salting them (and microwaving for a few minutes as well) helps them to absorb far less oil.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Now you're making me wish I'd gotten eggplant today! I had some really good eggplant and tofu at Ruby Thai Kitchen one night and tried to make it at home. I really had no idea how they made it, but I cubed the tofu and cut the eggplant in thin slices and then cut the slices in 4s. Added a tablespoon of sesame chili oil to a wok on high heat, then added the tofu and eggplant and 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce. It turned out really well. I'm not very imaginative in the kitchen!

Someone had mentioned zucchini lasagna. My mom made that when I was younger, and it's what actually got me liking zucchini. It was awesome, and you don't miss the noodles! I'll have to come back here to try some of the posted recipes.
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The main reason to salt it is to remove exess water. You don't have to salt it if you are making pasta sauce or something like that. but if you want some thing dry like maybe breading it u might want to salt it.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also sweat my eggplant before cooking it. Rinse it well before you cook it to remove the salt.

My favorite way is roasted with other veggies - mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, zucchini, asparagus, whatever I have on hand that sounds yummy. I drizzle it with a little olive or grapeseed oil and sprinkle with herbs - my favorite is a Greek herb blend - and a little bit of salt and pepper. Roast at 400, stirring every 10-15 minutes until the veggies are soft, but not mushy.

My second favorite way to eat it is in ratatouille! Yum! Over some whole wheat couscous....mmmmmm!