Kid's say the darndest things!

Options
pegm
pegm Posts: 119 Member
I had lunch duty today (I'm a teacher). I notice a table of 4th graders pointing and whispering. Every time I looked their way; they would straighten up and look away. After several minutes of this I decided I had better see who they were picking on. When I asked them what they were doing, two girls blushed and replied "you look different" "yeah, you are kinda skinnier". That made my day! :) I told them that a bunch of teachers were doing The Biggest Loser.. like they see on TV. They were very excited and some of them wanted to join too. Too cute!!

Replies

• pegm
    Options
    I had lunch duty today (I'm a teacher). I notice a table of 4th graders pointing and whispering. Every time I looked their way; they would straighten up and look away. After several minutes of this I decided I had better see who they were picking on. When I asked them what they were doing, two girls blushed and replied "you look different" "yeah, you are kinda skinnier". That made my day! :) I told them that a bunch of teachers were doing The Biggest Loser.. like they see on TV. They were very excited and some of them wanted to join too. Too cute!!
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    GREAT---and you know the kids tell the truth!!! Nice when it doesn't hurt for a change!!
    Good job!

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that had to make your week! Good for you!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    awwwwwwww, that is so cute.
  • pegm
    Options
    The kids are great... most days!!!:laugh:
  • mom24qties
    mom24qties Posts: 112
    Options
    Ain't that the truth! One day my then 8 yr old daughter asked me why I wasn't eating cookies with the rest of the family. When I told her I was trying to eat healthier so I could lose weight, she looked up at me with her big baby blues and said 'but mommy, you're only fat on the inside":huh: You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!! But after thinking about all of the reasons I was overeating, she was right - it originated from the inside!:laugh:
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    that would be so cool. What a great day for you.
  • pegm
    Options
    Ain't that the truth! One day my then 8 yr old daughter asked me why I wasn't eating cookies with the rest of the family. When I told her I was trying to eat healthier so I could lose weight, she looked up at me with her big baby blues and said 'but mommy, you're only fat on the inside":huh: You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!! But after thinking about all of the reasons I was overeating, she was right - it originated from the inside!:laugh:

Too cute! Those are the things that keep us going!
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh how awesome! What a great role model and example you are being for them!

My parents never excersised or worked out- so i never learned that was a good thing to do- so now that I have my Wii Fitness Coach- I try to do it with my kids in the room- today my two year old was following along with me! Now I've just got to get my 9 year old all motivated to use it!
  • pegm
    Options
    Oh how awesome! What a great role model and example you are being for them!

My parents never excersised or worked out- so i never learned that was a good thing to do- so now that I have my Wii Fitness Coach- I try to do it with my kids in the room- today my two year old was following along with me! Now I've just got to get my 9 year old all motivated to use it!

Wow.... look at you!! You are doing awesome!! You are also setting a great example for your kids.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Reading your post I thought you were going to say something different when you said they were pointing and laughing- But that is great that they noticed its always good to notice-

With what is it 15-18% of American kids being overweight/obese the schools should do a biggest loser for the students as well. I find it really sad to see overweight children

My kids are very fit and I don't allow them to just sit in the house and eat,watch tv, play video games ect... They go outside and run- don't get me wrong they eat normal kids stuff but they also know that too much of something whether its good or bad isnt good for you

That could be something that you could mention to the principal it could even benefit some of the parents as well and they could get more involved with their children (I think I should mention that at my daughters schools as well)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Reading your post I thought you were going to say something different when you said they were pointing and laughing- But that is great that they noticed its always good to notice-

With what is it 15-18% of American kids being overweight/obese the schools should do a biggest loser for the students as well. I find it really sad to see overweight children

My kids are very fit and I don't allow them to just sit in the house and eat,watch tv, play video games ect... They go outside and run- don't get me wrong they eat normal kids stuff but they also know that too much of something whether its good or bad isnt good for you

That could be something that you could mention to the principal it could even benefit some of the parents as well and they could get more involved with their children (I think I should mention that at my daughters schools as well)

As a 'fat kid' when there weren't that many fat kids, I can say that would probably not go over well. Children are very cruel to one another anyway, and you already feel like an outsider for being overweight, so calling attention to that would be subjecting them to further abuse. I can't think of ANYTHING that would have mortified me more than having to get on a scale in front of my class and for everyone to know how much I weighed. It would have scarred me for life - and probably would other overweight kids.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    'but mommy, you're only fat on the inside":
    Rofl wooo weee. thanx for laugh I needed that.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

As a 'fat kid' when there weren't that many fat kids, I can say that would probably not go over well. Children are very cruel to one another anyway, and you already feel like an outsider for being overweight, so calling attention to that would be subjecting them to further abuse. I can't think of ANYTHING that would have mortified me more than having to get on a scale in front of my class and for everyone to know how much I weighed. It would have scarred me for life - and probably would other overweight kids.

When I was a kid we got weighed in front of everyone in gym class you know girls with the girls boys with the boys- But again its an idea and will help kids gets more active and they can tweak the whole weighing thing so kids don't get too embarrassed-
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!