How do you feel about being "set up?"

Options
swimmchick87
swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
One of my friends is trying to set me up with a guy that's renting an apartment from she and her husband. She's a friend from work and about 10 years older than me. This guy is my age and she's VERY excited that she's "finally knows a guy my age." Almost everyone else from work is either married or in a serious relationship. It is awkward sometimes because a lot of times when we go out people want to bring their SOs. I relocated for this job, have lived here over a year and haven't found anyone I've been interested in. I'm originallly from the midwest, I'm now in a resort town area of the Rocky Mountains where most people my age are ski bums. I can barely ski and I don't really understand the "life consuming obsession" that most people around here seem to have. I'm planning on trying to find a new job/relocating in about 6 months. I feel like she thinks I'll stay in the area if I'm dating someone. Part of me wants to feel insulted that she thinks she has to "help me" find a date, but on the other hand lets be realistic- I haven't dated anyone since I've been here haha. I don't really know what to think about this...how do you feel when friends try to set you up?

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Horribly since I'm married!!!

But all kidding aside, the few times I was set up when I was single I just went with it, met the guy, had coffee or whatever, and that was that. It made the friend happy, it was a night with something to do, I never put more pressure on it than that.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    My friend set me up with someone a couple of months ago. It was my first set-up. We had a lot of fun, it wasn't awkward. Nothing came of it, but it was a lot of fun. You might as well try it! If you don't like him at the end, just say, "Thanks for today, I had a good time. It was nice to meet you." If you like him, say the same thing and then say, "We should do this again."
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    I'd be open to it... You never know, right?

The only red flag I see is that she thinks the two of you are a match merely because you're the same age... Hmmm. Just be prepared to meet a mouth breather, and anything else will be a bonus.

:wink:
  • branflake5
    Options
    I was set up on a blind date once by a mutual acquaintance of mine and my blind dates. Well we had our date on Jan 4th 2006 and we are are getting married this summer. So I am definitely PRO blind date :smile: Give it a shot you may meet an awesome guy or maybe make a great friend. Good Luck and have fun