Seasoning for chicken breast--what's your favorite?

Options
We're starting to trim down spending in all areas (we want to buy a house sometime this year), and I found an ad for 3 lb. of boneless skinless chicken breast...$3.99. Score!

Anyway, that's a ton of chicken for two people. We like to experiment with different spices and seasonings, but for some reason, I'm drawing a blank. What's your favorite way to season chicken breast? If you have some low-calorie/low-fat marinade ideas, I'd love to hear those, too. :)

Replies

• razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My hubby uses lemon pepper seasoning and it is delicious !
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    That sounds really good! I bet it's easy to make as well.
  • jennlg2
    Options
    I like to use Dale's Low Sodium marinade. It's kinda creamy (the non low sodium one isn't). Tastes awesome.... maybe 45 calories. :)
  • ashjofree
    Options
    I made some grilled chicken today and tried using dijon mustard, garlic powder, and a bit of hot sauce. It was tasty!
  • melissakay1q
    Options
    Italian Chicken: FF Italian dressing, Italian seasoning and shredded parm cheese. Bake at 400 for an hour covered with foil, removing foil halfway through.

There's always the old BBQ sauce standby.

1 part Teriyaki sauce and 1 part apricot jam mixed together over chicken is really tasty, especially served with rice and steamed vegetables.
  • alishuman
    Options
    My family likes Honey-Ginger Chicken bites an awful lot... It does take a bit of honey, but my recipe feeds 6. I imagine for 2, you could decrease it considerably.

Honey Ginger Chicken Bites
    ⅔ c. honey
    2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    2 Tbs. cider vinegar
    2 Tbs. soy sauce
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 boneless ,skinless chicken
    breasts, cubed
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 tsp. corn starch
    2 tsp. cold water

1. Mix first 7 ingredients well. Add chicken and marinate several hours.

2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the chicken on the pan in a single layer, reserving the marinade. Salt and Pepper to taste. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes, stirring once.

3. While the chicken is cooking, boil the marinade in a small saucepan for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the marinade. Cook one minute. Remove from heat.

4. Remove the chicken from the oven and set oven control to broil. Spoon the thickened marinade onto the chicken and toss to coat well. Broil chicken 5 minutes, or until browned.
  • dabombmom23
    dabombmom23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Light italian dressing & McCormicks Steak seasoning... let them marinate for a few hours, they are juicy & tendar & yummy!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I love to marinate/cook mine in a lemon juice/olive oil mixture...it's so delicious!!!!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Asian inspired marinade -

low sodium soy sauce
    sesame oil
    minced garlic
    a little ginger
    red pepper flakes (sometimes)
    orange juice (sometimes)

This is nice with jasmine rice and stir fried mixed veggies

If I'm in a hurry I also like to marinate in Italian or Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysarizonadreaming.html

Penzeys arizona dreaming is awesome on chicken or fish! YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I marinate in plain yogurt, toss on a cookie sheet (non-stick sprayed), season with a bit of salt and peper and bake. For a splurge you can sprinkle with parmesan (sp?) cheese. Delish!!!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just season my chicken with some olive oil (very lightly) and "Kick'n Chicken" seasoning. OMG...yum.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i have 4 different ones that i absolutely LOVE:

1) mc cormicks montreal chicken
    2) mc cormicks mesquite
    3) mc cormicks smokehouse maple
    4) mrs dash southwest chipolte
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Grill Mates has a whole section of really good marinades, and Weber has a seasoning called Kickin Chickin
  • dobrien323
    dobrien323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just use cayenne pepper. I love spicy food and it doesn't really have anything bad nutritionally.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I put it with canned tomatoes and olive oil, garlic, onions, and a combination of cumin, coriander, and cinnamon, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper (the cinnamon in it is SO good! I put this spice combination in everything.). You can probably do it with just the garlic, cumin, coriander and cinnamon and not the others, too.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bake it with some mccormick 5 fiery pepper seaonsing..if you like it spicy :) or grill it up with some honey mustard on a salad
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My family likes Honey-Ginger Chicken bites an awful lot... It does take a bit of honey, but my recipe feeds 6. I imagine for 2, you could decrease it considerably.

Honey Ginger Chicken Bites
    ⅔ c. honey
    2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    2 Tbs. cider vinegar
    2 Tbs. soy sauce
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 boneless ,skinless chicken
    breasts, cubed
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 tsp. corn starch
    2 tsp. cold water

1. Mix first 7 ingredients well. Add chicken and marinate several hours.

2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the chicken on the pan in a single layer, reserving the marinade. Salt and Pepper to taste. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes, stirring once.

3. While the chicken is cooking, boil the marinade in a small saucepan for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the marinade. Cook one minute. Remove from heat.

4. Remove the chicken from the oven and set oven control to broil. Spoon the thickened marinade onto the chicken and toss to coat well. Broil chicken 5 minutes, or until browned.

Yummy I'll try this tomorrow. I eat at least 5 chicken breast per week
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like to sautée some onions and garlic in olive oil, then toss in the chicken (which I usually ore cut into small bites) until it is cooked and top with some black pepper to finish, simple, but I like it.