Exercise Calories

Options
alapointe
alapointe Posts: 369 Member
Okay i know this seems to be a hot topic, and there are different view points but i am just looking for a little guidance. I have not been able to find exactly what i am looking for, so if there is someplace to look this up please let me know.

I am allowed 1540 calories on my daily intake, so since i am not at 1200 should i still be eating my exercise calories? I would think that as long as i am eating over 1200 that should be enough right? I am just so confused on this subject.

Replies

• alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Okay i know this seems to be a hot topic, and there are different view points but i am just looking for a little guidance. I have not been able to find exactly what i am looking for, so if there is someplace to look this up please let me know.

I am allowed 1540 calories on my daily intake, so since i am not at 1200 should i still be eating my exercise calories? I would think that as long as i am eating over 1200 that should be enough right? I am just so confused on this subject.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    no matter what calories your set at the site reccomends eating them back.**The excercise calories**...I dont but many people do
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You are allowed the 1540 without exercise...so if you do workout you should eat those calories too. Maybe not all of them but I would eat most. The 1540 you are allowed per day is for the days you don't work out. When you do, you need those extra calories as fuel for the body. That's what I do and it's working so far.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back. I have set my cals to 1300 and don't eat what I work out. I lose just fine, not so much when I eat the cals. BUT I DO EAT IF I AM HUNGRY PAST 1300. If I feel like I am hungry then I feed my body.....I work hard not to give in to craving.. learning the difference between hunger and craving is key. I do watch what I eat though. I wouldn't chose to eat something that is not good for you simply because you "earned" the calories. Make wise choices...but again I don't eat mine and I am doing fine.

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what works for you, really. I started out eating back all the calories that I burned off during exercise. It worked great for a month or so and then 2 1/2 weeks with no weight loss. I started eating half my exercise calories and changed up my workouts and the scale is moving again. Your body changes,so what works now may not in a month or two... try eating all of them, it you aren't getting any results, try half or none. No majic number for everyone I'm afraid. Good luck.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Some people eat them, some don't....I do because it makes sense to me why we need them. However, the amount of calories your allowed each day really shouldn't make a difference in your decision to eat them or not. 1200 is the recommended minimum for anyone to eat.....anything lower than that is dangerously unhealthy, but that doesn't mean 1200 is the ideal amount of calories to lose weight.

The number of calories you are allowed each day is what is right for you. So in your case (and since it is my opinion that people should eat them) burning say, 200 calories takes you below your daily allotment, you should eat them back to keep your body running how it should because even though you're still above 1200 calories, you'd come in below YOUR recommended amount.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Per Jillian Michaels the females on biggest loser have alot to lose and eat between 1400-1600 calories a day and workout 6-8 hours a day- She doesn't worry about there bodies going into starvation mode because they have so much fat/fuel reserve for their bodies to pull off now

She even told a lady who only had to lose 20 pounds or less who wasn't eating enough calories to slowly increase her calories to 1600 and to keep them there FOREVER and to workout- She not once mentioned eating back her calories burned-

This is however a very touchy subject. Another thing to remember is that this along with other things on the internet isnt exactly accurate with how many calories your body really needs it is just a guide you may need to tweak it to your individual needs. - Hope I have helped Good luck