not eating enough

Options
2»

Replies

• amonkey9
    Options
    Thank you it's nice to know I'm not the only one. There are some users who would criticize me for it and were just plain rude, like I was purposefully starving myself

I hope my comments, didn't offend anyone

No, actually saying that you are a dietician made me feel a lot better :)
  • BertaKae
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. Part of my problem originates from a hectic schedule and not being used to the idea of having to schedule eating.

As far as Celiacs and Lactose intolerance, there are good cereals you can have for breakfast that contain no wheat. The Corn and Rice Chex cereals are now bragging that they're gluten free. Most cereals are tasty dry or you can get lactose free milk. They can be sweetened with fresh fruit.

There are also a lot of sprouted grain breads available that are quite good. Those can be used for toast in the morning or sandwiches for lunch and not aggravate the Celiacs.

I'm thinking of reversing my meals, sort of. Since the weight loss program I am on wants no fruit or starchy carbs within 6 hours of bedtime, I am thinking of having things like stirfry with rice or spaghetti at lunchtime. That would help get the number of carbs in that I should have and still stay within my time guidelines.

Maybe planning - getting more organized - would help. Carrying my snacks with me when I go out the door. Making myself stop and eat by the clock for awhile until I get used to the routine? :ohwell:

My trainer told me the reason they want me to eat 1200 calories each day is to keep my body from going into starvation or famine mode and start storing food again. By being consistent, the storing part goes away.

I know I'm rambling, but maybe my rambling gave you some ideas, too.
  • amonkey9
    Options

My trainer told me the reason they want me to eat 1200 calories each day is to keep my body from going into starvation or famine mode and start storing food again. By being consistent, the storing part goes away.

But what if you consistently eat, say 800, calories. Wouldn't that be the same because I mean it's still consistent so my body knows when I'm getting food
  • chicklidell
    Options

But what if you consistently eat, say 800, calories. Wouldn't that be the same because I mean it's still consistent so my body knows when I'm getting food

No it's not. Have you even bothered to see what your body is burning as energy to simply survive, without the add on of exercise or actually moving your body from point A to point B.....once you see that number you'll see why 800 calories is not sustainable.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I really struggle to eat 1200 calories in a day! I feel really full at 600-800 and I'm logging my food on here not to keep it down, but to work out a way that I am comfortable with to up my calorie intake (and still lose weight of course, that's why I am here too). I understand why I shouldn't eat less than 1200, but it's easier said than done. With having PCOS I've been advised in the past that calories are really off when it comes to a way for me to measure how well I am eating, and that is still stuck at the back of my mind when I eat I suppose. It's a mental thing and something that takes time to work on.
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is actually a huge problem. I myself don't understand the mentality of 1200 being the magical # for weight loss.... that being said, the problem lies with an inactive metabolism, when your body isn't getting the fuel it needs to run it simply slows down, which means each calorie it takes in it stores.....the weight loss slows down, because the metabolism is running on empty...even with exercise, you actually exacerbate the problem. Have to change the mindset, which is very hard to do.

I was told that the metabolism starts kicking in properly at around 1200-1500 calories. So what happens is I eat 800 calories and exercise. I will burn calories whilst exercising but not as many as if I had easyen above 1200. Think of it aspedalling a bicycle with the break slightly on. You will move and you will get there, but you are doing twice as much work and using twice as much effort to achieve the same result. Take the break off (1200) and things are easier and run smoother.

Of course the actual figure of 1200 will vary slightly because everyone are different heights, weights, physical condition etc.