New Here

Options
Hi everyone. Just signed up, thought I'd have a look around the message boards.

Have been living a healthy lifestyle since November 2010. Many years to make up for!

Started at 174lbs, lost 19lbs and then gained some back. Now on a total of 11.8lbs lost from November 2010 until now.

There's more detail on my profile, but I've joined here for the recording, really. Used to be a member of another site, but it really went downhill.

I know the basics about my body from learning over the past 15 months, and I've got my diet under control (had a glitch in the middle, but was back on track until Christmas came along), but as well as my usual walking I'm planning to take up cycling starting next week, so I'd like to see how that has an impact, and look forward to sharing my experiences with others.

*waves*

Replies

• Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Good luck with the cycling - it's a great way to exercise :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Haven't sat on a bike for at least a decade. Hoping I at least remember the basics even if I'm incredibly unfit. Had severe asthma as a kid so I never got into cycling or any other exercise, often ended up in hospital. Asthma went away at around 16 years old but now I've got my weight to contend with instead!

Bike's currently in a local shop being set up and made roadworthy - should get it on Monday.
  • TheHerbGarden
    Options
    Hi, Once you get started with the cycling you'll love it. I started off road cycling, with my husbands help it's his passion, late last year. I hadn't got on a bike since I was a child and found it is a great way to exercise.
    Good luck when you do start. :flowerforyou:

14085467.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thank you sp4nners!

It seems that everyone I've spoken to about cycling thinks it's an enjoyable way to exercise - I'm very self-conscious and I work long hours so at first, at least, I'll be cycling around my estate late at night, when the roads are quiet and I don't need to worry about people or cars. I've mapped out a 1.5 mile route for my first go.

My bike's a folding one, so I also plan to fold it and drive to a big park at the weekends, once I'm brave enough. Then maybe, one day, I can commute to the office.
  • TheHerbGarden
    Options
    That sounds great. Your right to take it at a pace that suits you, that way your more likely to enjoy it.
    Clever choice of bike, you can take it with you almost anywhere.
    I know what you mean about feeling self conscious when exercising or trying something for the first time. I couldn't return to running because I had put on so much weight that the thought of my fat wobbly bum in my old lycra would have been an awful. The daft thing is that whenever I see other people with wobbly bits out exercising I think "Go for it".
    I also think that most people won't even notice just another cyclist out for a ride. I mean that in a nice way of course :smile:
    I work with a lot of physically fit men and women and have had this very same conversation with them about me and other larger people out exercising and every single one said they admire anyone that obviously works so hard.
    If it's not about wobbly bits and about getting used to the bike it's a good way to do it. Just make yourself be seen at night with something reflective.
    Either way the bottom line is who cares what people think, just enjoy what you chose to do. :flowerforyou: