question about juicing

Options
Greetings. This is a question for those of you who are experienced juicers or have some knowledge about juicing. I've heard a lot about raw fruit/vegetable juices being good for you, but what is the purpose of juicing? Why not just eat the raw fruits and vegetables? Wouldn't you get the additional benefit of the fiber if you ate the whole foods? Besides that, our bodies are not designed to deal with liquid calories. We're meant to take in calories through solid food- hence, teeth. So why juice rather than eat the whole raw foods? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

-Jen

Replies

• PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I juice because I don't like eating fruit, the one I use has minimal waste.

I also find it easier to combine flavours such as Apple and Mango.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I don't think there is any real reason for juicing other than eating a lot of vitamin/enzyme rich foods in a quick, convenient and tasty way.
  • Masarrochos
    Options
    Hello, I juice everyday and sometimes fast on juice for a day or two. We all know how good fruit and veg are for you but it is impossible to eat the amount of fruit and veg that goes into a juice. As an example for 1 litre of juice (for two people) I use 1.5kg carrots, 1 beetroot, 5 stalks of celery with leaves, a bunch of parsley, six oranges and a piece of ginger. This leaves your tummy feeling pretty happy and full! Good luck with the juicing!
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I juice because I don't like eating fruit, the one I use has minimal waste.

That's another point I forgot to bring up. Juicers are far less efficient at extracting the juice, nutrients, etc. than our digestive tracts. In fact, juicers are quite wasteful in that regard. Furthermore, when we eat solid food, we burn calories just to digest it. If we drink only the juice, we lose out on some calorie burning.

Note: I'm not against juicing, I'm just playing devil's advocate to find out why there's so much hype about it.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I juice because my parents bought me a juicer for Christmas.

So far, I've used it a grand total of .. two times .. but only because I'm worried that I'll be putting too much sugar into my body, without the fibres and stuff that fruit/veggies otherwise have.

Why juice? BECAUSE IT'S YUMMY!
    (and you can eat lots, and lots, and lots of flavours in each mouthful -can you imagine trying to take a bite out of 2fruits and 4veggies in one go to combine flavours?!)

mmm.. now I want juice!
  • snugglesworthjr
    Options
    We all know how good fruit and veg are for you but it is impossible to eat the amount of fruit and veg that goes into a juice. As an example for 1 litre of juice (for two people) I use 1.5kg carrots, 1 beetroot, 5 stalks of celery with leaves, a bunch of parsley, six oranges and a piece of ginger.

Is it really impossible to eat that much fruit/vegetables? What you listed (divided by two, since it's for two people) sounds to me like a little less than an average meal. Then again, I'm vegetarian.
  • snugglesworthjr
    Options
    Why juice? BECAUSE IT'S YUMMY!
    (and you can eat lots, and lots, and lots of flavours in each mouthful -can you imagine trying to take a bite out of 2fruits and 4veggies in one go to combine flavours?!)

mmm.. now I want juice!

Haha, yes! I juice for the exact same reason. I need to get a new juicer so I can treat my taste buds to those tantalizing combinations of flavors...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The purpose of juicing is so that people can sell juicers.
  • snugglesworthjr
    Options
    The purpose of juicing is so that people can sell juicers.

This is probably closer to the truth than anything else. We do like variety in our diets, and who's to blame the juice machine makers for wanting to make a buck off us?