Polar HRM battery replacement

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
The time has come and my battery needs to be replaced. Last HRM I attempted it on my own and broke it, had to buy a new one :ohwell:

Anyway - Polar has only a handful of places to mail it to (its out of warranty now) and they want a pre-approved 75$ amount on my credit card to send it along.... although they promise it'll likely be less then that and that I should have it back within 2 week (and I get to pay the postage!)

Do any of you have experience with this?? What should I really expect? I don't really like the idea of shipping it off states away for a battery change!

They also told me to send along my transmitter, but I don't even have my Polar transmitter anymore! I use one that came with my Sole Elliptical and has a screw off back so I can change the battery myself in it. The Polar transmitter I had was all one piece and I often wondered if it was working properly as I'd get freaky numbers on the watch when I used it - not a problem since switching to the Sole one. When I bought my elliptical it came with a chest strap for the machine to read my heart rate, and I noticed that it worked with my Polar HRM too, so just switched to using that strap all the time.

Had also considered that if I'm going to end up paying 75$ plus shipping for a battery, maybe I ought to just buy a new one! Mine is an F-11 that I've had for about 2.5 years (I think!)

I am also thinking, thanks to this annoying battery changing issue Polar has, that I might just switch to another brand, even though I love how the Polar works. If I decide to go that route, got any suggestions?? I've been pretty Polar loyal since I've been using HRMs!

Anyway, just looking for feedback before sending it away.....

:smile:

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The battery in my FT4 just went kaput a few days ago. I ordered a new battery online and was going to try to replace it myself. I hope I don't have any bad results!

Maybe you can find a local fitness store that can help you?

Best of luck to you, lady.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    bump..i have had mine almost a year..how long do they usually last ?? i kinda wanna know for the future
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would bring it to a local jewelry store and see how much they would charge to change it. I have an f-4 and I have changed the battery myself. All you have to do is un screw the back piece, take out the old and put in the new and screw the back piece on.

Good luck.
  • garyjwood
    Options
    FWIW, my advice is get a new one.

I had a Polar some 10 years ago and I stopped using it when the battery in the watch failed. I didn't want to pay that much for a simple repair. Now I use a Garmin Forerunner, which has a user-replaceable battery in the HRM and a USB rechargeable battery in the watch. It's expensive though, if you don't need the GPS features and computer connectivity.

RunKeeper has free apps for Android and iPhones that support Bluetooth HRMs. They sell one on their website for about US$80.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    bump..i have had mine almost a year..how long do they usually last ?? i kinda wanna know for the future

My first Polar lasted about 2 years before I broke it. The one I have now has had the battery warning on for a few months, but still worked - now it's REALLY dying as I can barely see the display anymore, it's fading fast. So, my guess is 2-ish years!

I've called the 2 local fitness stores (won't even look at it) and last time had taken it to jewelers and was told that no, they could not and would not replace it, they didn't have the equipment for it and couldn't promise they wouldn't break it - and insurance reasons wouldn't let them try.
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    My battery on my polar is starting to go out as well. I am either going to buy a whole new watch or call my local jewelry store. I know a local jeweler that repairs watches. So, I would suggest calling around to see if you can find a someone who does watch repair. Who knows, it may or may not be cheaper. Besides, at the cost of $75 that Polar is asking for, I might buy a new watch because brand new, mine was only $89.
    Hope that helps.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my Polar-I threw it away and bought a different brand (one that I can replace the battery in myself)
  • Wolfena
    Options
    FWIW, my advice is get a new one.

I had a Polar some 10 years ago and I stopped using it when the battery in the watch failed. I didn't want to pay that much for a simple repair. Now I use a Garmin Forerunner, which has a user-replaceable battery in the HRM and a USB rechargeable battery in the watch. It's expensive though, if you don't need the GPS features and computer connectivity.

RunKeeper has free apps for Android and iPhones that support Bluetooth HRMs. They sell one on their website for about US$80.

I've heard good things about Garmin - will look into it... but I don't need the GPS! I don't have Android or iPhone, I've got a Blackberry and it belongs to the company I work for!
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Buy a new one if you go to a jewelry story and you can't fix it. I got my Polar FT7 for $80 on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0OFDM/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I would bring it to a local jewelry store and see how much they would charge to change it. I have an f-4 and I have changed the battery myself. All you have to do is un screw the back piece, take out the old and put in the new and screw the back piece on.

Good luck.

i found a local jewerly store and they did the work.....but used to send it back to polar,, and never had a problem, they were reliable...good luck
  • Wolfena
    Options
    Buy a new one if you go to a jewelry story and you can't fix it. I got my Polar FT7 for $80 on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U0OFDM/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

Can you change the battery in them yourself now? I see on that listing they list the battery size and the back looks like it may have a screw off area...
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    yes the new models make it very easy to change your own battery.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I must have a newer model because I just unscrewed the back and the battery popped right out ... I was confused that so many people have had trouble? They must have redesigned it.

Again, good luck!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I must have a newer model because I just unscrewed the back and the battery popped right out ... I was confused that so many people have had trouble? They must have redesigned it.

Again, good luck!

do you have the newer POLAR models??if so which one...thanks
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The newer Polars(FT series not the F series) have user replaceable batteries on both the watch and the transmitter. People who say that they don't are mis-informed.

I don't see why a jeweler couldn't do it... it's like a normal watch. When I needed the battery on my transmitter replaced, I took it to a jeweler.. granted they had to pry the back off, but it still works fine now.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    ALSO,

If you read the intructions carefully it states unsnap the transmitter from the chest strap when not in use to extend battery life.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I pulled out my Polar HRM that I had purchased years ago and, of course, the battery was gone. When I contacted Polar and after checking around locally I had the same issues. I ended up buying a new one online inexpensively. I think the website was heart rate monitors USA or something close to that. I got the FT4 for $65.00. I decided to just go ahead and get a new one.