Made changes but no weight loss help!

Options
I changed my eating starting January 1st. Protein shake for breakfast , green tea and granola at break instead of a chocolate covered honey bun. Tracked my food on the MFP app, counting calories eating low cal ow fat low sugar. And I gained a pound! I really expected to lose at least 1 pound, but no. Now I'm totally confused about what to do. At 272 I'm not able to do a lot of exercise, too painful. But I did go to the YMCA and ride a bike, also walked for 45 minutes another day. Not a lot but more than I had done before. I kept my calories Under 1900 twice it was under 1700. Which according to my calculation from bob Harper should have been low enough. I am so worthless at this. What am I going to do???

Replies

• akivi73
    akivi73 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but here is what I think. The exercising you did sounds good. However, the food you switched to sounds a little lacking. Sure, low-cal, low-fat and low-sugar is good but your body needs real food. Real fruits and veggies and real protein (not a processed shake). This will give your body the healthy fats and fibers it needs. Try some fruit, whole grains and yogurt in the morning (I love the greek stuff) instead of a shake and it will keep you more satisfied.

And remember-January 1st was only a week ago. As long as you continue making healthy changes and staying under your calories for the day your weight will drop. But, you're not going to necessarily drop 10lbs the first week. Keep it up!
  • MFENCL
    MFENCL Posts: 3
    Options
    It is only January 7th. Keep up the path that you are on. Weight loss doesn't always happen like on television. It has been a snowball effect for me. My body hurt when I started my weight loss journey, but the more I exercised and the more weight I took off the better I felt. The two pieces of advise I can give you are these. Stay true to yourself. Record all of your food intake on MFP, and be honest. Second, keep up the exercise. Get to that first time you look in the mirror and see results and I promise you that you will be inspired to keep moving forward.
    As far as your diet, make sure you are getting enough protein. Protein is the main fuel that your body and muscles run on. That will make your body feel better when you exercise. You should be taking in about 100 grams of protein a day while still watching your calories. Your calorie intake sounds good but they may be the wrong calories. You may not be fueling your body properly.
    Good luck on your weight loss
  • jaymeekae
    Options
    Hey you're not worthless at this, you're trying at least! Don't have that attitude, think positively!

I am really new at this but I'd agree with akivi73 and say that it's still early days and you should keep going! Weight always fluctuates so you can't really tell your progress so soon. It could just be water retention at this point.

What were you eating for the rest of the day? I think the green tea and granola sounds good but watch out for the sugar content on the granola. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water.

It's great that you are doing the exercise too, even simply doing more gentle walking is a great start, this will make you healthier even aside from the weightloss.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "What am I going to do???" -If you really want it.. you'll do it. It's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to hurt, its supposed to be hard, its supposed to be frustrating. Over coming this is part of the process. This time next year you should be saying to yourself "I never thought I could run 3 miles (or whatever goal you chose) but look at me now! I'm so glad I didn't let the discomfort stop me."
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You've got to give it some more time! You are not worthless!!!! Take this one day at a time! There are a lot of factors that go into this. First, did you weigh yourself at the same time of day as your initial weigh in? Second, you could be showing a higher weight because you had too much sodium yesterday. Our weight fluctuates a lot, even throughout the day! Continue doing what you are doing with the exercise, take the advice from some of the other posters about eating more food (healthy, filling stuff like protein and fiber). Good luck!